GTR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i could do with some advice from u guys..

i took my '90 R32 GTR out as i normally would, which is, warm up before taking it on any main roads and cooling it down with a turbo timer set to 2mins. the last time i took it out there were no signs of engine damage apparent. no loss of power and no engine rattles or knocks of any kind. just a slight tapping noise which i was told would be my injectors working. i parked the car up, left it for around a week, without starting it, came back to it to start it up and there is a very heavy knocking just turning the engine over so i darnt try to start it up. ive checked and there is no oil in :( there was a week before as i had checked it.

has my bottom end gone?

is it a dear job to fix?

wrong time of the year to die on me as i not done xmas shoppin yet :(

cheers

p.s i am running standard apart from Apexi induction and a silenced mild steel exhaust system.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Sorry to hear about this..... who told you it was the injectors? Have you just bought this car? If you have id take it back under warrenty.

to my knowledge injectors dont make noises.....

·
Super Moderator
15,989 Posts
Injectors can click a bit but it's difficult to know if that's what you heard without hearing it.

Bad luck though, no oil!! Did you have a leak?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ive had the car now for 12months from evo performance in burnley, had nothing but trouble gettin the car from them. no oil leak visible on the drive waywhere she lives.

i was told by a tech at peugeot about the injectors. was only a slight ticking noise coming from them.

im jus tryin 2 buy the parts so its not a big fork out wen i come 2 get it done. the garage im gonna b usin is WGT in middlewich to take on the work.

have u experienced this too?

·
Registered
998 Posts
sorry dude in the 4/5 years ive owned mine, ive never had any ticking or noises coming fom the engine..... although ive just tempted fate saying that lol.

Ive also not used the garage mentioned so cant help you there bud. Hope it all gets itself sorted soon, id imagine youre gona want to let them go over it so you know what parts to buy and the cost involved?

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
My injectors tick but dont remember the stock ones ticking very loudly. It does sound like a bottom end rebuild to be honest mate. Sorry :(

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
is a bottom end rebuild a BIG money job? as i dont have a money tree :)

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
Most of the time mate yes as people go for forged bottom end, cheapest way would be to buy a stock block and swap the engines over but even then you'll be looking circa 2k for a stock block before fitting!

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
get someone to have a listen to it in real life.

Hard to diagnose on the internet.

I would suggest myself but you a little too far away :)

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
is a bottom end rebuild a BIG money job? as i dont have a money tree :)
Yes.

Might I suggest you take it to the most reputable skyline garage in your area.
Otherwise buy lots of lube and a comfy cushion as if you go the wrong way about this, you're gonna need it.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
i would start by putting some oil in it and then starting her up and having a listen if its still knocking you have lost nothing as the damage is already done

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
If there was no oil in it at all, then the whole of the motor will be shagged, more than likely. The top end needs oil just as badly as the bottom end. When the tuner/engine builder tells you the potential cost, make sure you're sitting down. Good luck mate, hopefully it won't be as bad as it sounds.

·
Registered
140 Posts
If the engine was run with no oil in at all then it would have made very nasty noises very quickly. It is more likely that its just very low and therefore not showing on the stick. When the car is run like this its possible for the oil pick up to be temporarily exposed (not able to pick up oil) when cornering or accelerating. The first thing to get starved is the crank so causing bottom end damage or failure so it is possible to knock a big end out but cause minimal or no damage to the rest of the engine. If the big end bearings are damaged it could make a knocking noise. Its possible in some cases (rare so dont get your hopes up) if the damage is very slight, to replace the bearings, polish the crank, thoroughly clean and check everything and re-build. If you continue to run the engine damaged it will get worse - very quickly. Worse is - crank damage needing a crank re grind - crank damage causing scrap crank - spun bearings and metal breaking away and floating round the engine possibly causing damage to anything that gets oil including top end and turbos etc - broken con rod(s) usualy putting a hole in the block and damaging the head (goodnight basicly).
No way of telling exactly how bad it is without looking though so it will be expensive either way im afraid.
Getting it done by somone who knows skylines is good advice because you cant throw these together like a shopping car engine cos it will just fail again very quickly making it a false economy.
Ive had one fail on me so I know how it feels:mad:
Good luck.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Top the oil up,pull the connector from the ignitor box so it doesnt fire up,
then turn it over on the starter (20 seconds max, to protect the starter motor) until the oil light goes out, reconnect the ignitor box and start it up and have
a listen then.

·
Vendor
12,676 Posts
i could do with some advice from u guys..

i took my '90 R32 GTR out as i normally would, which is, warm up before taking it on any main roads and cooling it down with a turbo timer set to 2mins. the last time i took it out there were no signs of engine damage apparent. no loss of power and no engine rattles or knocks of any kind. just a slight tapping noise which i was told would be my injectors working. i parked the car up, left it for around a week, without starting it, came back to it to start it up and there is a very heavy knocking just turning the engine over so i darnt try to start it up. ive checked and there is no oil in :( there was a week before as i had checked it.

has my bottom end gone?

is it a dear job to fix?

wrong time of the year to die on me as i not done xmas shoppin yet :(

cheers

p.s i am running standard apart from Apexi induction and a silenced mild steel exhaust system.
Could be a number of things, first off all top up the oil and retry the engine. It may be as simple as a sticky cam bucket or as serious as engine failure. Either way you need to try this as the first solution. If the noise is still evident when you restrart the car then establish if its there all the time or on a certain rev band.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks for all the advice guys, ive been intouch with R34NISMO and looks promising :) ill finally be gettin my car sorted :D

thread to follow :thumbsup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts