GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ALL. ;)

Newbie alert :p

I am a member of several car clubs and now sadly, another one :D. I have been cruising this forum for a short while, as I have an itch that needs scratching, namely getting a GTR.

Having seen one locally (Aston Martin) and had the test drive today, I have questions that I'm hoping can be easily answered. So here goes;

Car is MY10. Chassis VIN checks out with "12" in it. Dealer has just serviced and ordered two new front tyres. The Service history runs to 6 month servicing. I briefly spoke to Iain Litchfield this morning ref this type of wear and he stated that they run quite a camber. However the AM dealer will not budge from the 3 month warranty on offer, as there has been alot of interest in it. I cannot link yet as insufficient posts but it's on Pistonheads at Stratstone Aston Martin (Hagley).

Questions;
1. Car was very jerky on setting off both with me as an inexperienced driver to this car and the salesman who must drive similar Astons daily. Once moving no issues. Is this what I've been hearing about software upgrade to the transmission? Bellhousing has been replaced but please see hear an extract from his recent email to me

"The bell housing was replaced October 2012 together with a new flywheel 'this is part of the same procedure'

A Clutch learn can be carried out to improve the initial pull off in first gear £36.00 + vat
You can purchase new software which improves this 100% £300.00 + vat

If you do have the new software then it is imperitive that protection kit is fitted this strengthens all of the internal components this is £510 inc vat and fitting"

Does that ^^^^ make any sense? Then goes onto write "Also the new latest bell housing is makes more noise than previous".

2. I will take it to Litchfield, prior to the warranty expiring to put a new one warranty on. Would this be the preferred option for others?

3. The car is immaculate, but there was an irratating noise from over my right shoulder, when driving. Normal? They said they would investigate.

So, I will have to stump up road tax, and warranty later.

I'm hoping to do the deal tomorrow, so any advice appreciated.

Apologises the a long first post ;)

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
What software are they using for the gearbox?

My bell housing was replaced to the Litchfield version and pretty sure flywheel not replaced

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
I wonder what they mean by internals? Dodson magnets, gear stops etc?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Really no idea.

If you asked me about BMW E39s and Mercedes SL (R129) then I could answer as I have both (but one will make way).

Ride was also hard but I was expecting that and I'll get used to it.

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
New bell housing should make no noise as it should have fixed the dinner plate rattle...mine was switched last November by Litchfield and is silent...by sounds of it the car you are looking at has a Nissan replacement that has failed again which they do...Nissan will only replace once for free...mine was replaced under Litchfield warranty for their own part and it is very much better than Nissan rubbish.

This car is raising alarm bells from your post

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Don't waste any more money with that dealer let Iain sort it for you and more

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. Plan is to buy it and later pop to Iain to resolve anything under his warranty. Already spoke to him.:thumbsup:

Think it's more that the dealer hasn't seen one before and is trying to sound clever. He knows his Aston's however :thumbsup:

Took it all with a pinch of salt. Plus bellhousing was very quiet. I was listening for that distinctive (tickover) noise but no such thing.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
Thanks guys. Plan is to buy it and later pop to Iain to resolve anything under his warranty. Already spoke to him.:thumbsup:

Think it's more that the dealer hasn't seen one before and is trying to sound clever. He knows his Aston's however :thumbsup:

Took it all with a pinch of salt. Plus bellhousing was very quiet. I was listening for that distinctive (tickover) noise but no such thing.:thumbsup:
You will need to have Iain do a big check on car for his warranty...not every car gets onto it...perhaps get the car to him before you buy it to make it is one they will take or buy one straight from him

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Sounds like a decent car to me, looks lovely in the pics too. A noisy bell housing rattle doesn't mean there's a fault, mine rattles like 10 pigs, and they're right in saying that the replacement can be nosier. Mine was replaced last year, and when I picked it up it sounded even worse with the new one fitted.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Agree with Trev, Belhousing is nothing to worry about, mine was replaced under extended warranty for a new 2013 version and within 2 months it's noisy as hell again. When Trev came down my way for a visit and we parked next to each other with engines on, the rattles together was quite something. But it's now something I have just learnt to live with.

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
Agree with Trev, Belhousing is nothing to worry about, mine was replaced under extended warranty for a new 2013 version and within 2 months it's noisy as hell again. When Trev came down my way for a visit and we parked next to each other with engines on, the rattles together was quite something. But it's now something I have just learnt to live with.
You both had the Nissan replacements which seem to be as bad as the original - thankfully the after markets ones actually solve the issue rather than getting worse as yours will

1 - 20 of 45 Posts