GTR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

i'm Dave - i've been lurking on your forum for months now, I wanted to say thank you to everyone who without knowing it have helped me to make an informed decision about what I put a deposit down on this morning - clearly this is a really warm community who care passionately about their cars.

I had a good couple of hours with the guys at Tunbridge Wells Nissan, (of course) fell in love with the car and have a cancelled order gunmetal gt-r arriving in mid Jan.

I have a few questions that I was hoping someone could opine about if possible:

Depreciation looks really good on this car - as the poor chap who is parting with his car said 8% in 6 months on this level of car is exceptional - what do people think this is because of? The sales guy felt that now the initial bubble of enthusiasts have cars they will be selling less in 2010 than in 2009 - does this sound right, do people feel that this will have a big effect on depreciation.

Driving the car this morning felt sublime - I was actually a little intimidated at first, I was expecting either a mad thrashing Evo-esque lively drive or to be detached from the driving experience, perhaps it's because i've not had the chance to drive something this powerful before but it felt sublime - I felt more secure in this car than any other, I felt that I could concentrate more on placing the car before a turn than worry about trivial stuff like stability or rattling (i've got a convertaable at the moment i get a lot of that) - is this normal?

Are there any suggestions that anyone could give me with regards to the running in period - i'd be keen to avoid any pitfalls.

I did raise the high cost of repair thread to Nissan corporate a few weeks back and got a stock answer, the Nissan garage i went to today felt that the prices must come down for the insurance reasons mentioned in the thread - he did say also that there was some kind of pricing glitch in the Nissan system and prices will come down - is this salesmans patter i'd be keen to know what people think on that.

Finally just to say thanks again to everyone who has helped me make what I think is a great decision and all i need to do now is stop grinning and get my wife to stop throwing sauce pans at me "you spent how much!!!" etc.

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
Firstly welcome to the forum.

Residuals, well my take on it anyway. Car is way under priced to begin with, especially the pre orders. Ferrari, porsche, lambo eater for M3 money. Course it will depreciate, but not at the normal rates expected for this kind of car.

Running in, in laymans terms, but there are a few threads. Below 3500 rpm first 600 miles, explore the rev range next 600, all in comfort mode to help bed the suspension in.

Repairs: Dont let the wife drive it.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Depreciation looks really good on this car - as the poor chap who is parting with his car said 8% in 6 months on this level of car is exceptional - what do people think this is because of? The sales guy felt that now the initial bubble of enthusiasts have cars they will be selling less in 2010 than in 2009 - does this sound right, do people feel that this will have a big effect on depreciation.
I think the depreciation picture will become more clear next year when the volume of cars being delivered reduces and the effect of resales of the essentially 2 big groups of pre-order cars, which were delivered in 09, wears off.

This is still a very low volume vehicle compared with, for example, Porsche's annual UK sales of 7,000+ units or even Aston's sales.

But it is an expensive , Japanese, sports car, and in many ways pretty hardcore e.g. low speed tranmission performance, heat, maintenance etc, so may always be a bit left field, with a limited market? Don't know.

I did raise the high cost of repair thread to Nissan corporate a few weeks back and got a stock answer, the Nissan garage i went to today felt that the prices must come down for the insurance reasons mentioned in the thread - he did say also that there was some kind of pricing glitch in the Nissan system and prices will come down - is this salesmans patter i'd be keen to know what people think on that.
Plenty on this on the specific thread elsewhere. Don't lose any sleep over this.

Are there any suggestions that anyone could give me with regards to the running in period - i'd be keen to avoid any pitfalls.
Sin has it right. Watch the revs at first then use the rev range a little more. Easy to keep the suspension on comfort, without missing out!

Driving the car this morning felt sublime - I was actually a little intimidated at first, I was expecting either a mad thrashing Evo-esque lively drive or to be detached from the driving experience, perhaps it's because i've not had the chance to drive something this powerful before but it felt sublime - I felt more secure in this car than any other, I felt that I could concentrate more on placing the car before a turn than worry about trivial stuff like stability or rattling (i've got a convertaable at the moment i get a lot of that) - is this normal?
rattles abate overtime, or at least you don't notice them :chuckle:

The car really inspires confidence, and is great in the wet; certainly can be driven hard

·
Registered
270 Posts
On residuals, whilst the volumes on the previous model were much lower, they are still worth 40% of new value after 10 years. This car is in another league to the R34 and whilst depreciation is bound to be an issue it shouldn't be a disincentive to buying one.

The price rises since the launch cars have also helped some sellers this year.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi Dave, was you the guy I was talking to in the Tunbridge HPC car park(you've got a NSX)?) We were chatting about my GTR and how I can't park for toffee :) If not they are doing a healthy trade!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey,

nope that wasn't me - but I did order it from that HPC....I was hoping to come across someone who has used that firm before what was the experience like, were there any issues? Feel free to pm me if you have anything sensitive to tell me.

Personally the guys there have come over very professional, had lots of time for me, met the many questions I raised largely as a result of lurking on this forum for months!

Counting the days now I'll be gutted if the delivery date slips.

Hi Dave, was you the guy I was talking to in the Tunbridge HPC car park(you've got a NSX)?) We were chatting about my GTR and how I can't park for toffee :) If not they are doing a healthy trade!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks, appreciated - you are right i'm fortunate but to be honest i can relate to car owners if they have a £500 runabout that they care for - too many years trundling down to Le Mans ;)

welcome mate, count yourself very lucky to be in the position of being able to have one. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey,

nope that wasn't me - but I did order it from that HPC....I was hoping to come across someone who has used that firm before what was the experience like, were there any issues? Feel free to pm me if you have anything sensitive to tell me.

Personally the guys there have come over very professional, had lots of time for me, met the many questions I raised largely as a result of lurking on this forum for months!

Counting the days now I'll be gutted if the delivery date slips.
I didn’t buy my GTR from Tunbridge so I can’t really comment on the sales process too much. I did have my first test drive there though. Phil was very helpful and gave me loads of time in the car, making sure I understood all the settings etc. He was as enthusiastic about the car as I was! I would have been very happy to purchase a car from them, but I’m a bit impatient so the 5 month wait put me off a bit. I did a bit of looking around managed to get a cancelled order from Cambridge (also a great experience) , meaning I only had to wait a month.

I have had all of my servicing done at Tunbridge which has been 1st class, couldn’t have been more helpful. Very happy so far.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Welcome Dave,
I went with Motorline, Phil was the sales man but then the aftersales is Ian for servicing etc and they have been professional all the way. They got the off white plastics resprayed without any problems and they will fight your corner if you have any issues but they are sticklers for things like the y pipe/mods etc if you're thinking of uprating. My tyre wear is in question together with broken pads but the car is that good i cannot see me selling mine for a long time. Enjoy ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts