GTR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys... Just introducing myself & asking for some advicereally.

My name is Scott & I live in Swindon..... Not new to Jap cars (MR2t, 200sx, Prelude, Del Sol etc).

I currently have 3 cars in mind... Im looking to spend no more than 5k on the car as it's going to be a project! Having said that thoughit needs to be fairly reliable & mechanically sound!

I have been through all options really including RX-7, Scooby, early Evo etc & have decided they could be too risky.

I love the 300zx but am scared of buying a dog as there seems to be alot of these around! So that leaves an R33 GTS-T or a 200sx S14a.....

I read a thread on here about 200sx versus Skyline & it bought up a few interesting thoughts what with Skyline being heavier & more expensive to tune but more reliable at higher power... But the 200 being lighter to drive & more refined at lower speeds etc.....

Now I wouldnt be looking to tune a mental Skyline... I like the styling of the Redline Skyline so something alonmg those lines would be good..... Probably not interested in massive power but what sorta figures can I expect for not too much cash (ie a coupla grand on tuning) & what sorta output/performance will that get me?

Sorry for the novel but Im looking forward to potentially joining the fray!

Thoughts on any of these cars & thoughts towards what you would do in terms of buying a car for about 5k & then spending another 2 or so on tuning!

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
A budget of £7K should get you a GTS-t with around the 350-400bhp mark.

Have a look at the for sale section on here and the SOC. Plenty up for grabs at the moment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok well there are loads of cars on Autotrader for example around that price. Reasonable mileages too..........

Thanks for the response anyway!

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Scottrw said:
Ok well there are loads of cars on Autotrader for example around that price. Reasonable mileages too..........

Thanks for the response anyway!
As Andy has just said, go look at a few 5k cars and then go and look at some 10k cars. You see where the money goes.

I couldnt think of anything Id want less than a 32 that had been skimped on and the owner was knocking it out cheap just to get rid.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Scottrw, Hello mate welcome to the forum!

With Skylines the saying "you get ehat you pay for" never rings so true,

£5K will get you a R33 gtst but the chances are it will have serious issues,

There is a buying guide on an earlier thread for you to have a look at that might help when looking,

That said I hope you do buy a skyline and I look forward to seeing you about town! :)

Sev

·
Registered
154 Posts
hi m8

as andy says there is a lot of dross out there ,
as it happens my r33gtst is for sale , check on the for sale section . i can vouch that it is a minted car with low milage and im open to a good offer .
its had loads of bits done to make it in a1 nick m8,.
a company car forces sale . if you are serious give me a call on 07704 689328 or e-mail me on [email protected] , for the full spec and pics.
its taxed and motd till july , fsh , grade 4 car 39000 genuine miles and i love her [sob sob ] , but she has to go . you wont be dissappointed m8 shes a cracker . round about 300bhp.
hks induction fitted , straight through race exhaust new 18 inch w/mania vortex alloys , tein lowering springs and new suspention all round. brand new high performance tyres all round , and a momo race wheel just fitted . all serviced as well . oh and just fitted a toad a6106 cat 1 alarm .
matty [ edinburgh ] oh and it goes like a rocket .[ smiles !]

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
All the replies are telling you the truth Scott. Any Skyline for under 5k will cost you dearly in the end. A 300zx is a great car and you could get one of those for about 5k, older model Scoobs are also around this money as is the great Teg Type R. Tuned Skylines should be treated as Exotics like old Porsches etc and not as your standard GTi - they are definitely not that :smokin: .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts