GTR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello people!!

I am currently selling my subaru and am in the market for an R33 GTR.....
you've probably been asked millions of times but in my experience it's always better to ask then be caught out.....

So i'm decided and looking for an R33 GTR and have been told (as i'm trying to source one from Japan) that I should be looking for a car thats had a recent and decent engine re-build....i've never imported a car (or bought one) so I have no idea what to look for, what I should be looking for etc etc....

I am definately going for one so please don't think i'm coming on here to ask a load of questions and then vanish......

any and all help would be much appreciated.....

I was originally planning to buy a bog standard one and then start on the road to tuning...as then at least I know where i'm starting from. but I was then told that I should be looking for one with slight mods, possibly a decent engine rebuild (HKS etc) and with some upgraded work as to reach the 500bhp and over would start to cost body parts....

You may say why have 500bhp in my head....
Well i'm coming from a 350bhp Subaru and after the money I spent on that and the realisation that to take the next step would take a heftly loan, and I wouldn't be able to go much further....well.....you see why i'm here.....

so again thanks for any and all genuine help....

CH :squintdan

·
6,821 Posts
Hi welcome to the forum, check out the past threads about the owners cars. You will find out what to look for . 500HP is a nice figure, but it really depends how the car is tuned. single turbo, twins, 2.8- OSG, . . . .there is many stuff to look for, like this you will know your money is well invested.:)

The R33 owners here on the board will tell you more about their cars . . .:popcorn:

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
to reach 500hp is pretty straight forward:

Aftermarket turbo's (HKS 2510's)
Uprated Fuel pump
Cams
Full exhaust/downpipes
Bigger injectors
Remap

Not hard, and relatively inexpensive for the power gains

Hope that helps

·
Banned
11,494 Posts
Found this on a search.

What to look for (see 2nd post):
http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/upload/showthread.php?t=53404&highlight=buying+gtr

In addition:
i) Oil pressure should be just over 2kg/cm^2 at idle, rising to 4kg/cm^2 at 4000rpm. 6kg/cm^2 on start up.
ii) Listen for whistling/spluttering under acceleration from cold - leaking exhaust gaskets.
iii) Check under car - oil leaks downwards (transfer box, rear-wheel steering pump, engine etc.).
iv) Give car a good test drive. Some intermittent faults won't show up during a quick stint.
v) Do a full-bore shift from 4th to 5th at about 100mph. If it sticks, synchro is knackered.
vi) km/h to mph conversions are likely to affect ATTESA and HICAS operation unless the person really knew what they were doing. I'd stick with km/h. To remove speed-limiter, get a Nismo speedo or similar. If one is already fitted - brilliant.
vii) Jump up and down on suspension corners to test for broken dampers etc.
viii) Examine thread wear for evenness and extent.
ix) Look for bubbling on interior and trim pulling away and test whether seats stay put under load.

Basic GTR questions:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Skyline_GT-R

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Many many thanks!!

i'm looking at a standard one Monday!!!

our of curiosity.....

how much is:

Uprated Fuel pump
Cams
Full exhaust/downpipes
Bigger injectors
Remap

Thanks again :sadwavey:

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
ChavHater said:
Many many thanks!!

i'm looking at a standard one Monday!!!

our of curiosity.....

how much is:

Uprated Fuel pump
Cams
Full exhaust/downpipes
Bigger injectors
Remap

Thanks again :sadwavey:
All very roughly speaking...

Aftermarket turbo's (HKS 2510's) - Approx £2000
Uprated Fuel pump - Approx £150 - £300
Cams - Approx £500 - £700?? (not overly sure on that estimate without checking)
Full exhaust/downpipes - including de-cat and downpipes the exhaust could cost around £600 - £800
Bigger injectors - Approx £300-400
Remap - Usually about £120 per hour, and if your buying an PFC for example usually they cost around £500-600 with about 4-5 hours needed to map (approx)

Fuel - £1million :D

R33_GTS-t said:
Our good friend Jason Dawe would benefit from reading that before he writes any more articles on our beloved Skyline's!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.