GTR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im thinking about buying a r33 gtr.

basically it was overboosting and blew the engine. the guy im getting it from has had full engine rebuild and its now ready to fit back into the car. he is telling me once the engine is fitted back in i would need to get it remapped to a lower boost setting.

my question is....if i was to buy a uprated ecu (1 bar ecu) should this just be plug n play and there would be no need for further mapping etc.

forgive me if this sounds a bit stupid as im no expert. but as far as i can understand this should do the job???

any help advice would be greatly appreciated.

many thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
you would be better off buying a programable ecu and have it mapped.
an uprated ecu may be mapped for 102 ron fuel (japanese) and not our 95-99 ron so you may get problems when running the higher boost.

·
Vendor
12,681 Posts
you can fit a boost restrictor and run a reflashed ECU such as MINES, NISMO etc. Or as stated buy a programmable ECU such as Apexi which will offer more tuning options in the future.

Unsurprisingly i have both these types in stock LOL!

·
Banned
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so if i fit a already programmed ecu which is set at 1 bar that should do the trick without adding or doing anything else? and what sort of money would that be dave?

·
Registered
656 Posts
think you need more information mate,
is it standard internals in the re build, what turbos are they steel or cerasmic
theres a lot of difference, why did it blow, you say overboost, did pistons fail or was it turbo failier !!!
once you now what you have in the new build you will know better what boost you can run, personaly ide give it to a tuner to instal preprogramed ecu or fit an map programable ecu, would be a shame to blow new engine build ......

·
Vendor
12,681 Posts
so if i fit a already programmed ecu which is set at 1 bar that should do the trick without adding or doing anything else? and what sort of money would that be dave?
I have MINES for £169 though you will need a restrictor, its a simple case of either drilling out the original one in the car or buying one form a tuner.

·
Banned
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
are the boost restrictors simple to fit? and do you have one in stock. i would like the ar to be running 1bar-1.2 bar of boost as it has steel turbos.

·
Registered
818 Posts
think you need more information mate,
is it standard internals in the re build, what turbos are they steel or cerasmic
theres a lot of difference, why did it blow, you say overboost, did pistons fail or was it turbo failier !!!
once you now what you have in the new build you will know better what boost you can run, personaly ide give it to a tuner to instal preprogramed ecu or fit an map programable ecu, would be a shame to blow new engine build ......
Exactly.. it blew the engine doesnt tell you a lot!!. Was it cermaic turbos failing and ingestion of blades or catastrophic det blowing holes in pistons / valves.. more detail needed methinks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts