GTR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, First of i would like to say that your website is great to read through and has alot of helpful tips and an immense amount of project builds that make the day at work really fly by.

The many fights between r35 owners and the old skyline badged GTRs is alot worth reading as an outsider.

But down to the question im asking for basic tips on what to look for when buying my GTR right down to the ownership of the car on a realistic scale.

Id like to also note that i used the search function only to find a thread or two on buying a gtr but not specifically what im after.

If people could point me in the direction of an exsisting thread that would save alot of embarrisment.

If one does not exsist could somebody please inform me as to what i should look for when buying a GTR.. from a GTR owners perspective.

Is there any common faults with the 34's to look out for, weak spots, common failures etc etc.

Ive been told the oil pump is a necessity to replace, is this true and/or if to what extent?

Currently im owner to a Toyota supra with the getrag box... its time to move on as these supras in Australia are becomming too common and not so much the enthusists car anymore. Ive lost my passion for the car and i would like to move onto something more exclusive and only affordable for the passionate enthusists... if you get what i mean.

Any advice would be appreciated, i understand this is a odd first post but i had to start somewhere and im looking to jump into a 34 GTR Vspec within the next few months or earlier if the right one comes along.. Money is no concern so long as the the cars value meets its worth.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Gdday mate. Am in Auckland and am a fairly new R34 gtr(spec 2) owner so I will give you my views being we are in neighbouring countries and have similar situations.

- Check for rust spots on the undercarriage, also under the diffusers as they tend to hide well. These cars tend to get spots appear due to their age now and if they haven't been looked after or have been exposed to sea front a lot.

- You will realise there are certain differences in the gtr, vspec 1 & 2 models. Read and know them well before you decide if money isn't an issue. Also, you may realise you are better off to buy a cheaper model of the three as you will be eventually modifying/upgrading some bits that do not justify the price between the models.

- We have a fairly close knit gtr club here and have not heard of any oil pump failures as such, unless the car has been raped. Try and get a car that has not been modified at all. Try and get something which is below 60k mileage. Be careful with ones carrying the 320km Nismo cluster as they have been switched from the factory OEM cluster and you will need to verify the mileage.

- Otherwise they are very good cars, don't give issues if they have been looked after. Thats more of a reason why there are no buying guides for the R34 - as there aren't any real issues with it. They were not dubbed the supercar of the century for no reason. Take care of it and it will serve you good. Totally different ball game from the Supra though.

Good luck and enjoy the 34. You won't regret it and you will never look back.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks mate, i appreciate the tips.

If the only weak spots in the GTR is ageing and rust well then you've put a smile on my face.

Im worried about where i keep the car as i only have a driveway but the garage is filled with tools, work equipment, wheels etc etc so there will sadly never be enough space in the garage to fit the car in.

Without trying to sound stupid here would leaving it in my driveway in a decent area be much of a cause of concern? or is the best protection here good insurance?

Also what kind of mantainace is there to upkeep the 34's? 100km service... is there anything special that needs replacing or would it need the same upkeep you average family car would recieve?

Looking forward to hunting down a nice black vspec 1 or 2.

·
Registered
594 Posts
REAL GOOD Insurance (and two hungry large dogs) all the way matey. You have no idea how many out there will have an eye on your 34. That car just gets too much attention for its own good. Be careful.

Normal car servicing at 100km, includes cam belt kit change with the water pump and perhaps the front crank seal and CAS O-ring. You have to keep your eye on the oil levels for therear hicas as well as some poeple tend to ignore it since its tucked away in the boot.

The car is very solidly built and thriller to drive. Learn about it before you put your foot down.

I forgot to mention, check how much boost the car is running. If its over 1bar, it has got its boost restricter removed which is not good news. The ceramic turbos are notorious to give up if run constantly on boost over 1 bar.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a heap for that! I intend on buying only a full stock GTR, any modifications make me feel as if the car has been 'already hacked' so to speak and id like a 'fresh' starting block.

My friend has a gts-t r33 with the hiace and in the past we have done alot of drifting days at local tracks and he says the hiace system is a pain and sometimes dangerious.

Ive also seent he recent thread up, is it worth locking the HIACE or completely removing it? Ive been told it weighs 70kg or so.

(Ive been told alot.. because i ask alot of questions.. im way to fussy about my cars)

·
Registered
594 Posts
Remember you are buying a GTR which is 4wd. They are not meant for drifting. Their diffs don't like drifting and you will end up damaging them quickly. Hicas(not hiace) is not an issue with this model. It has been for the older models but a lot has been upgraded in this one. I have not heard anyone take it out unless it was for serious pro-class drag racing.

If you like drifting, get a silvia. Horses for courses mate.

The R34 GTR will go around the track but FAST.

If your Hicas is an issue of 70kg, your Air Con will also be an issue weight wise. Why not lose that first. Just decide what you want from your next car and then go out and buy it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think i may have given the wrong impression there. I have no intentions of drifting the GTR, i understand the way the system works and how impractical it would be to get it sideways... i was just saying that ive attended drift events and my friend brough up how he does not like the Hicas system in anyway.

Ive always been a drift enthusist but realistically drift is like dancing in the racing culture, ive always been about track and thats what the GTRs intentions will be destin for. :)

Edit: Id like to keep the aircon as it wont be a soal born track car but i was saying if the hicas system is not that much useful and in some cases dangerious it would be a win win to get rid of it and shed 70kg.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts