GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Came across a weird situation with my car today...

I got it out the garage to enjoy the car in the brilliant weather (finally!) and drove to petrol station, no issue...
Then drove the car to services on M1 (to meet some friends on the way somewhere)...

Then when I went to go turn on, it cranked and cranked and then all of a sudden stopped cranking even though the key was still in cranked position.
It crank and cranked (maybe like 3 times) until it then came to an abrupt stop.
The lights in the dash looked a little dim, so I got some jump leads and it fired up straight away!
Yay! just a battery issue... at least I thought...

Started to build up boost on the way out, got to around 4000 rpm and then a big flame from the exhaust! Check engine light flashed. I let off the throttle, and it disappeared and then behaved itself again. I then tootled to where I was getting to.

After the event, I went to turn on the car, and it didn't turn on again (expected), however this time after connected the jump leads, it didn't start straight away, it had to be charged for 15 minutes before it would turn on. It continually cranked when I tried replicating the jump at the service station the first time it happened.

I've checked everything LOOKS normal in the engine bay - oil levels, coolant levels, MAF connections, camshaft angle sensor etc....
I took a picture of the sensor check page on the Power FC ECU hand commander, I don't think it's showing anything? I can post a picture if required..

It's an R34 GTR for reference if that makes any difference what so ever.

What could it be?!?!

Help :bawling:

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
I would try a new battery. Sounds like yours isn't holding charge properly.
Do you use a battery conditioner if car is left to stand a while?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You think it would still experience those symptoms even when the crank seems strong? I do and I don't, recently I have been charging another battery for another car..

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
I had something similar on my Evo.
Started ok, drove off boost great.
On boost was as you described.
Turned out the battery was not holding charge.
I had a Clifford alarm and it was killing the battery as I didn't drive it often and didn't use a battery conditioner.

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
How are the earth connections on your car? Add some more if you can do. Only a few pound from Halfords for some leads

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I mean the earth looks exactly as it did before any issues to be honest. Can't see it worsening whilst in the garage. She never sees any water/rain so can't be dodgy earths... I don't think..?

What do you mean by Earth it up? Just connect the negatives to any area of metal?

Thanks for the info+help by the way :)

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Check the engine control fuse too, from memory, third line down, second from the right (you need to double check the location). I think there's also one in the boot

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Terminals all look healthy, battery grounds look healthy, rear fuse box engine control fuse confirmed OK - I've not checked the one in the engine bay. I shall check tonight!

I charged the battery for 2 days and this time it didn't turn on. I think the battery is completely and utterly caput??

I've taken the battery out and directly charging it to see if it makes any difference.

When I turn the ignition on (without cranking) it reads 12.1V. When it WAS running the last time, it was running 14.1V as it was on. But surely when the engine is on, the alternator is charging at same time? Or no?

·
Registered
720 Posts
raj just get a new battery and then take it from there,it sounds like your battery is ****ed,it can cause all sorts of issues, so replacing is a good starting point to finding the problem.

simon

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
raj just get a new battery and then take it from there,it sounds like your battery is ****ed,it can cause all sorts of issues, so replacing is a good starting point to finding the problem.

simon
You didn't say "Simon says buy a battery". But anyway, I bought one. Let's see what happens! :eek:

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
I had an issue like that on one of my old GTR's. I had the starter motor refurbed, tried a new battery, checked plugs, swapped AFM's and then finally I simply earth'd the car from the negative point in the engine bay to a bolt on the strut top IIRC and it started first time.

Turns out these car's have a few earthing points around the car. I never looked further into it but I added 3 additional earth straps from Halfords and the car started right away each time and it felt like the car was cranking over quicker. That could just have been a placebo affect though

Sounds like the battery is working fine with it being as 12v when the car isn't on and 14v when the car is

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had an issue like that on one of my old GTR's. I had the starter motor refurbed, tried a new battery, checked plugs, swapped AFM's and then finally I simply earth'd the car from the negative point in the engine bay to a bolt on the strut top IIRC and it started first time.

Turns out these car's have a few earthing points around the car. I never looked further into it but I added 3 additional earth straps from Halfords and the car started right away each time and it felt like the car was cranking over quicker. That could just have been a placebo affect though

Sounds like the battery is working fine with it being as 12v when the car isn't on and 14v when the car is
Yeah, I checked the voltage with the car sensors, a multimeter and even took it to halfords and all read between 12.3 - 12.7 volts... Hmm... I just bought a new battery too for no reason it seems.

I've just got some earth cables as you've suggested. I'll stick one in the back from the negative battery terminal to somewhere on the body and I'll do the same with the battery terminals in the engine bay.

Strange how the earth could become good within 1 drive though.. But hey, only cost me £9 for 2 long earths in halfords! Worth a shot. Thanks Japfreak.

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
Car's scrap, I'll give you £20 lol. Tough one now though, sound like it is cranking over. Are you getting a spark? Is the loom to the spark plugs all ok and the amplifier at the back?

·
Registered
415 Posts
I would guess it is the cam angle sensor. Had similar problems before. Not starting especially when hot, sputtering at higher rpm and later also engine cutting off on idle.
Broken CAS, wrong ignition timing, combustion way before TDC... this could stop the engine from starting at all.
Would explain the behavior from your vid.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update: cleaned out x3 ground connections in engine bay. Added a ground to rear battery terminal. It fired up straight away sounded completely fine as it normally does! Turned it back off and then on again and it is still doing it now. Don't think it's to do with the cam angle sensor or belts or anything to do with timing otherwise it wouldn't run at all, right

I haven't actually physically tried a new battery to be honest... But will try my battery from another car tonight. I've kept my battery on charge for 2 days and everything shows at least 12V minimum.

I'm going to look at the starter motor this weekend.

Strange though that it cranks 3/4 times, then stops, then cranks 3/4 times again and stops even when I have the key turned fully and don't move it... Hmm...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts