GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am having a bit of trouble with launching my GT-R r35.

I put all the switches to "R" mode, put my foot on the brake and put my foot hard on the accelerator BUT the revs don't go up to 4,200, they just rise very slowly until they reach about 2000 revs, then a warning sign comes up to say that the gearbox is getting too hot (or something like that).

If I do release the brake before that warning sign comes on then car just takes off very slowly for a second then starts accelerating. It certainly isn't "launching" by any means.

Just to make you guys aware, I always make sure the transmission oil temp is over 65.
I also have the latest ECUTEK race rom (version 4).

My car is a JDM but I replaced the speedo pinnacle with a UK one (don't think this would make a difference though would it?).

Can anyone help me out here? Am I doing anything wrong?

Cheers guys

Dunc1n

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
You know you can adjust the launch RPM right?

It's most likely set at 2,000 RPM and your holding it there for a while making light come on.

Next time you try, press the cruise control button up and this should raise the RPM up to your desired launch RPM if it's 4,200 RPM then you can set it to that.

If you try launch at 2,000 RPM it'll just bog down and hence the slow not launch like getaway.

Sounds like its functioning properly though if it's raising to 2,000 RPM and issuing the warning to self-protect from damage if held to long.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I know that I can push the cruise control up and down to raise and lower the launch revs.
This proves my point that the car is not going into launch mode, as when I am sitting trying to launch with my foot on the brake and on the accelarator, and I push the cruise control up and down, it actually adjusts the boost, just like as if I was sitting at idle.

Also, when i am saying the revs reach 2000, I mean it EVENTUALLY reaches 2000 then the warning message comes on. The revs climb up very slowly as if the car is trying to move. If it was successfully in launch mode, then the revs would reach the set amount (whether it be 2000 or 4000 revs) almost instantly.

Anyone know the problem???

Cheers

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Try LC in a different map mode maybe ie. 95 / 97 / 99 / 100 whichever your not in and see if it works there at all maybe?

Certainly sounds from last description its not there then if it's adjusting boost. I thought the Version 4 was preset on boost anyway and no adjustable. Ie. my 95 is low boost, 99 high boost for example.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its nothing to do with the maps, as this problem has been going on for a while, and I just updated my ROM to version 4 today, as I though the problem was with my old mapping.
This proves that the problem does not lie within the mapping.

Its driving me crazy!!! :(

·
Registered
92 Posts
Mine is doing exactly the same thing. Can anyone shed any light on this? Tempretures were all good, RRR and RR/VDC off both tried. 2009 uk spec car running stage 4 and uses a cobb access port (how ever I have no idea how to use this) ... any help would be much appreciated

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Are you trying to do rolling launch or launch off the line

The way you describe it sounds like procedure issue.

Brake has to be 100% down. User your meter

Believe it needs to be manual mode

Yeah I know that I can push the cruise control up and down to raise and lower the launch revs.
This proves my point that the car is not going into launch mode, as when I am sitting trying to launch with my foot on the brake and on the accelarator, and I push the cruise control up and down, it actually adjusts the boost, just like as if I was sitting at idle.

Also, when i am saying the revs reach 2000, I mean it EVENTUALLY reaches 2000 then the warning message comes on. The revs climb up very slowly as if the car is trying to move. If it was successfully in launch mode, then the revs would reach the set amount (whether it be 2000 or 4000 revs) almost instantly.

Anyone know the problem???

Cheers

·
Registered
92 Posts
For me it's launch off the line, the brake pedal is 100% down and I've tried it in manual or auto and all it does is slowly rev to 2000rpm and all you can feel is the clutch is fighting against the brakes which is not good :/

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yeh I'm not sure if it's to do with the cobb but I have no idea how to change the launch control maps and I don't really wanna play around with it incase I balls something up! I've tried it with VDC off too and it does exactly the same. I'm stumped

·
Registered
92 Posts
Tried that also, tried it in all 4 maps from standard to 650. It's just like it's keeping the clutch engaged and then it's just fighting the brakes which is not good. Has anyone else ever had any issues such as this?

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Yep me. When you say the 650 map it makes me think you are applying the engine map and not the TCM map. Mine made no reference to level of tune. Just LC2 to LC4

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Do you have a cobb which can actually map the TCM? Not all cobbs do.

Yes it needs to be plugged in. Yes you need to apply a gearbox map.

Takes 15 mins

·
Registered
92 Posts
It's not the new cobb it's the one with the small square screen if that helps. I haven't plugged it into the car or computer since I've owned the car. Am I likely to play around with it and not alter anything too major or shall I wait till someone who knows what they are doing is around to supervise? Lol

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
It's really not that hard. Plug it in. Browse to "tune". Go to sub menu TCM map and put and select LC4 map which doesn't say stock style. Press enter and wait 15 mins for instructions.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Ah brilliant thank you very much, I will have a play with it a little later on. Sorry for the lame questions, I've struggled to find a decent tutorial etc and didn't wanna balls anything up ;) I will let you know how I get on. Thank you again!

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Am passing through bristol area Friday morning if you get really stuck. Won't be in the GTR but still. It really isn't that hard.

Given you are 30 mins from litchfield I would personally sell that cobb and go get an ecutek.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts