GTR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Hoping I can get some help from the community, I’ve noticed my R35 is becoming more slow to start, it will crack over for sometimes 5-7 seconds before starting.

I prime it when I first start it for 5 seconds to build oil pressure and it fires up fine, but the rest of the time it takes ages! Even if I prime it.

This can get quite embarrassing in public car parks when everyone is looking! :chuckle:

Anyone have any ideas what could be the cause? Or is this normal?

I have a 13 plate, litchfeild stage 2 with a complete straight through 90mm, previous owner even fitted a CKC Remote start up too.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Get a log and ask Ian to look at it for you, maybe try plugs if its not had a set, is battery spinning it over fast.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Get a log and ask Ian to look at it for you, maybe try plugs if its not had a set, is battery spinning it over fast.
Thanks for the reply, Had plugs changed on last service.

Strange it’s fine sometimes, and others it’s a pain to start

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does it crank slowly ? It's most likely the battery is on its way out.

If it's the original one that it's 6 years old so I'd say time for a new one.
Thanks for the reply, honestly not sure if it turns over slowly.

It sometimes starts fine, other times a pain... does this still sound like a battery issue?

·
Vendor
6,275 Posts
Not sure what the first but means... mileage is 47k, it’s got a litchfield stage 2 and a straight pipe.
What fuel was your car mapped on because shell is differently mapped against like tesco or BP, Litchfields alter the degrees of timing to give best results so sometimes if you use different brands of fuel it may confuse the timing and that can cause delays in starting, worth asking Litchfields.

·
Vendor
6,275 Posts
A low battery would not cause a delayed starting, it would sound like a lazy start like as if its low on power, if it's cranking at normal speed and sounds strong then its something else.

·
Ooo Matron !
2,103 Posts
Thanks for the reply, honestly not sure if it turns over slowly.

It sometimes starts fine, other times a pain... does this still sound like a battery issue?
Does it get worse the longer you leave the car ? So if you start it up, drive it a few miles and then stop, if you then restart it straightaway, is it okay then ?

If it's cranking slowly it will sound like it's labouring. If my battery is getting a bit low from it being parked for 3 or 4 weeks then it's slow to crank.

·
Ooo Matron !
2,103 Posts
£60 for a new battery, the most likely solution to your issue. It is where I would start.
That's what I would do as well.

Or, charge the battery up and then try it. If it starts okay then it's almost certain that the battery is about to give up the ghost.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
If its cranking ok its not the battery - could be a fueling issue weak mixture causes starting problems - I would would start with cleaning the MAF sensors, Stage 2 has K&Ns which come covered in oil this can coat the sensors - electrical spray works well just don't touch the wire in the sensor

1 - 14 of 14 Posts