GTR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new GTR owner, having been members of other forums I hope that this one has members that know the car inside and out 'cos I have some issues.

On the way back from picking it up I was stuck in traffic for about an hour. After this time the 4WD and A-LSD light came on and would only go out when I turned the engine off and on again. It seems to come on when i am in traffic, never when I am caining it.

There are two grey boxes bolted to the parcel shelf, they get very hot (if this means anything)

Another thing that happened on the way back was: I was doing about 70(ish) down a dual carriage way and the back end started twitching - I don't mean just a little either, the whole back of the car was wiggling to the point that I had to pull over. I visited a friend for about half an hour and when i got back in the car it hasn't done it since.

Any ideas would be greatly received, court action or wire wiggling!

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
sounds like you may have an issue there dude

get it checked by a tuner to be sure. sounds like the ECU was reset when the wheel not straight.
why don't you give Abbey a ring...01883 732331. Did you get the car fully checked before you bought it? Absolute must as the big tuners have the Nissan black box which can pick up all the faults logged on the ECU and potential problems. The grey boxes on the shelf are part of the ECUs and will get a bit warm as always working.
Get the car down there tomorrow for a full diagnosis as it sounds like the ECU needs a reset to std settings. Nothing to worry about just normal run of the mill stuff.

NB. If the car had the battery removed or wires removed and the STEERING was not straight then you will get a confused ECU. This is why you get the wiggling. I had this on my car...
When the battery switched off, if the car is a little off centre then the ECU resets itself and thinks this is straight. So when you go down the road, the car with the active diff is constantly confused as to which is straight and it starts to correct itself. This is why you get the wiggling (bit like a fat bird on the dancefloor shaking her big batty) as it is constantly thin king for you and trying to staright the car. Remember the skyline computers work when you are not er, travelling in a straight line, so it thinks you might be sliding or off centre so it send through the signal to correct the car.
Clever shit I know but sometimes too clever. I hit a big gust of wind today and the car wiggled. the back must have been moved by the wind so the ECU was like, oops here we go. My mate was like....what the hell was that...

Hope this helps..NLW.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that!

One more thing on the er not in stright line:smokin: Aiii! The first time I gave it some beans round a round about, the back end swung out like a B*****D and i had to use a little opposite lock, it was easy to control but a bit of a surprise!

I have had three calbra turbo's and they would just 4WD drift in this case.

Is this normal, I can get the back end out quite easily by flooring it round a corner!

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
because it is not perma 4wd

mate. You are rear wheel drive until you lose traction and swing out and then you have 4wd. But you have to be quick.
Just don't drive it like a perma 4wd or it will be tears. Well not in the wet anyway.
Also if you have a big sub or spekaers then they can interefe with the ECU as the ECU is at the back. The signals get disturbed and you get some funny actions in the car.
Get it checked to be sure.

Nick

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Re: sounds like you may have an issue there dude

nwelch said:
(bit like a fat bird on the dancefloor shaking her big batty). I hit a big gust of wind today and the car wiggled.
fat bird LOL, don't hear that phrase on Top Gear!
Big gust, eat less spicy food my man.:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts