GTR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon
Right you'll have to excuse my ignorance on this ...

I know there are a million and one threads on the subject of single turbos, but its hard to understand just what you need when it all looks like a load of numbers and codes :chuckle:

Ill tell you what I've got, and then what I ideally want:

I'm running a gt4088r on a 2.6 at about 1.3-1.4 bar, it makes a decent amount of power, but I suspect it is probably capable of much more than I foresee myself wanting in the near future.

Which brings me to think about getting a slightly smaller turbo.

Now, the car is track only car, not road legal, and so response isn't the main thing I am after, however it would be nice to have as much response as possible, as the 4088 is a bit slow to respond coming out of slow corners.

For argument sake, and I cant remember the exact numbers, but say the car is running around [email protected] and on song at 4.5k ish.

Would a gt3582r suffice for my needs if I didn't plan on going over say 650 tops???

Now the next criteria is that IDEALLY, I would want it to be v-band on both the inlet and outlet of the turbine housing...
When I say ideally, ill only consider changing my turbo if I can have this option.
Being an abused track car, the amount of times ive had to remove it to change gaskets/snapped bolts/other maintenance on the car, its becoming a ball ache.

I see the gt35 is available with a tial stainless vband housing which looks right up my street.

Or.. I would be happy to put up with my truck turbo, if perhaps there was a v-band option for the turbine housing inlet, and any other options to make it spin up quicker.

Im also not particularly wanting to spend fortunes on an all singing all dancing new fangled spaceship turbo, just keep things simple.

So, is the turbo I stated above suitable for my needs on a 2.6l if fitted with a tial housing? If so in what trim etc etc

Here's a link to the site I found it on Garrett GT3582R (aka GT35R, aka GT35/40R) Bearing Turbo : atpturbo.com

Again, excuse my ignorance, ill look forward to your suggestions.

Rich

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
You certainly are limiting your choices unfortunately with sticking with a V-Band housing.
Plenty of good turbos with a standard T4 housing and V-band exhaust outlet.
You haven't concidered going to a twin scroll T4 housing and manifold to get more response?
If you did I would recommend the turbo I have, Borg Warner EFR8374.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Yes I agree twin scroll would be better for response any way, if your looking at a gt35 you might aswell go for a gtx35 they make 700bhp I've seen them make it on a evo 8 on a dyno dynamics

·
Registered
554 Posts
Hi I've got a twin scroll Gt4088r .95 and it's on full song @ 4000 rpm so def worth a look for you :) also @ 600bhp at 1.4 bar

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
I don't think you'll ever see 700 from a gtx35 on a rb26 unless you've got a crazy worked head, why don't you get a tail exhaust housing for the 4088 rich and a gtx wheel stuck on..

Or sort your head and that will get the 4088 spinning a lot quicker...

Rich

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I don't think you'll ever see 700 from a gtx35 on a rb26 unless you've got a crazy worked head, why don't you get a tail exhaust housing for the 4088 rich and a gtx wheel stuck on..

Or sort your head and that will get the 4088 spinning a lot quicker...

Rich
Many people don't know how much response you can gain from a good head setup.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies, It is a twin scroll version already.

Going down the route of headwork might be the ideal plan then by the sound of it.

Honestly though, having a v-band connection is my main priority. The normal 4 bolt flange might be fine on 99% of cars. But the only time my car ever gets used is on track and giving it a hard time. I want to build a reliable setup which can be used and abused without having to slow down after 5 laps, in fear of doing any damage.

I'm fed up of changing gaskets every other outing, I've tried various different materials to make gaskets and even the ones that last still end up blowing due to constant stretch and contraction of the bolts. And then you get the bolts that snap....

Even if I were to use some Inconel bolts and copper gasket, its still a complete ar5e to get to the bolts when on the car.

I think I've just thoroughly talked myself into having a v-band housing, Plus they are lighter....

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Silly question...do you have the gearbox to front pipe bracket on there still ? I had huge problems on a previous car with the turbo to manifold gasket when the front pipe bracket was left off. Re-fitted it and never had the problem again. It just needed support. Maybe also worth considering a turbo brace if you haven't got one.

Cheers

Stu

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi mate, Yeah i've got a brace on the turbo, and a bracket on the downpipe. So there's no problems there. Its just a heat issue and the constant expand/contract.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It doesn't seem it. I had it skimmed originally as it wasn't perfect.
But even if it has, it's still yet another problem added to the mix every time.

Are there any reasons why using a tial v-band housing would not be a good idea?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts