GTR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELLO I HAVE JUST IMPORTED A SKYLINE FROM JAPAN. IT IS A GTS4. I CONTACTED A PARTS COMPANY AND ASKED THEM TO SEND ME A SPEEDO CONVERTER FOR IT. WHEN LOOKING AT THE BACK OF THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER IT PICKS UP FROM A CABLE. BUT WHEN LOOKING IN THE ENGINE BAY THERE IS NO CABLE VISABLE GOING TO THE GEARBOX. CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHERE TO LOOK TO SEE IF IT IS A MECHANICAL OR ELECTRONIC SPEEDO AS I AM A BIT CONFUSED AS THE COMPANY I SPOKE TO SAID THAT IT COULD STILL BE ELECTRONIC EVEN IF THERE IS A CABLE GOING TO THE SPEEDO. MANY THANKS FOR YOUR TIME.
BT

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I have an R32 GTS4 on its way and I know from MattPaynes R32 that the speedo is on a cable drive.

To find it ... stick your head under the car right in the middle of the driver door ... its on that side of the gearbox almost facing you ... pop the cable out, chuff it into the lil' gearbox thingy and stuff that whole assembly sucker back in there.... Should be fine.

I read somewhere that R32's are all mechanical speedos and R33's and 34's are Electrical. I might be wrong, but I'm sure thats how it is... good luck anyways :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dan0h THANKYOU FOR YOUR HELP I WILL CHECK MY CAR OUT AGAIN IN THE MORNING AS IT IS GETTING DARK NOW AND SEE IF THE CABLE IS WHERE YOU SAY IT WILL BE.
THANKS BT

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
IT WAS JUST THERE AT THE VERY REAR OF THE GEARBOX. I WOULD ADVICE YOU NOT TO DO WHAT I DID WHICH WAS TO REMOVE THE LITTLE 10MM BOLT WITH THE CROSSHEAD SCREW CUT OUT, THEN THE WHOLE OF THE SHAFT WHICH HAD A LARGE TOOTHED BIT AT THE END FELL OUT AND SOME TRANSMISSION OIL LEAKED OUT AS WELL, MAYBE ABOUT 50ML. ONCE I HAD REFITTED THE SHAFT I USED A SET OF ADJUSTIBLE PLIERS TO REMOVE THE CABLE. WHEN FITTING THE CONVERTOR ATTACH IT TO THE CABLE FIRST AS I FOUND IT EASIER TO TWIST THE CONVERTOR TO LINE UP THE WOODRUFF KEY WITH THE GEARBOX, THAN TO ATTEMPT TO TWIST THE CABLE TO GET IT TO LINE UP.

dan0h THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

1 - 7 of 7 Posts