GTR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

Noticed that one of my headlight bulbs has been playing up (going off and on by itself) so I decided to have a look and found that the bulb, although looking like an H1, was not what I was expecting. In fact I can't find anything like it to relace it with :confused: (see pics). The bulb is actually part of the round plastic "plug" on the rear of the light unit, the bulb itself cannot be removed.

At first I thought it was a HID upgrade, but there are no small boxes etc. in the wiring loom, in fact I traced the wiring (which has been changed) back to the fuse and relay box and there is nothing that looks like a HID upgrade, just these strange bulbs. This is the dipped beam, the main beam are the usual H1 types that I was expecting.

Anyone seen these before ? :(

By the way, they are BRIGHT :smokin:

Thanks in advance,

Ian

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Looks like a Xenon bulb to me aswell.

Seem to recall your car being a Series 3 car when you first bought it, and if this is the case, then it will have Xenons from Factory.

This may sound stupid, but does it say "Xenon" on the headlamp at the bottom, of the lens?

And also the ballasts/transformers on these lamps are mounted undernath them, so you won't see them from the top.

But i guess if you've traced the wiring, you would have noticed this...

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Folks,

Thanks for the replies, got some news ....

.... it's been annoying me .... so today my son and I took some serious time over the wiring, and guess what .... yep .... found the ballasts :eek:

These are HID upgrades.

My son stated something to the effect of not having my glasses on and being old and blind, that was just before he got a slap across the head :) the cheek of it :p

R33 v-spec , the ballasts are indeed tucked away underneath the lights themselves, you can hardly see them. My car is a Series 2, and the lights do not have Xenon written on them, this is an after market thing. The only clue to the maker is on the modified wiring and relay (which is controlled by the original light wiring), it's FET.

The relay (located on the wing beside the relay box) switched contacts takes a feed directly from the +ve of the relay and fuse box, is passed through a 40amp fuse (the red thing in the photo below), and then to the relay. The output of the relay contacts then go to each ballast, along with a -ve wire which is taken directly from the - of the relay box. So the original light wiring is now only used to work the relay.

The question now is, is the ballast on the dicky lamp dicky, or is it just the lamp itself ?

How easy is it to remove the whole headlight assembly by the way ? We could see 3 points where there were nuts to be removed, is that all ?

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ITSt said:
How easy is it to remove the whole headlight assembly by the way ? We could see 3 points where there were nuts to be removed, is that all ?
Oops, should have done a search first, found an old reply from years ago on removing headlights, was actually from yourself R33 v-spec. Sounds a bit of a tricky job.

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
ITSt said:
Oops, should have done a search first, found an old reply from years ago on removing headlights, was actually from yourself R33 v-spec. Sounds a bit of a tricky job.
LOL, been here long enough!!!

PM me if you need exact details. Can be done without taking bumper off, and this was probably the way i wrote it if you've found an old post

1 - 8 of 8 Posts