GTR Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have my tune done by Ben @ GTC, very happy with his service, and responce time on emails, but looking to see if someone with a little more time can go in to more detail with setting up the gearbox with touch points etc.

Reading through the instructions he sent me, the car is meant to just about creep forward when on a flat surface in 1st, is this right?

The problem I have was the car would skip in gears sometime shortly after changing gear when accelerating gently, is this the setting for the pressure?

This is how much pressure is applied to the clutch when changing gear? I read somewhere it shouldn't be set too high as can cause oil leaks from the seal?

So looking for advice, and trying to find that happy balance.

My car has the 2012 gearbox software, I'm running stage 4 from Ben, just really looking to have it drive like a nice new car, when I jump in my boss's Merc its so smooth, a GTR will not be like that though will it?

I think it's pulling too much in 1st, so much so that I put it in N at lights instead of holding the brake on in 1st as I think it'll cause wear?

I'm in Cornwall and nobody around here to take it in to have a look and set it up for me, so relying on you guys, please help!

Fingers crossed the gearbox thing isn't a fault coming and is just settings.

I did very briefly mention it to a GTR tech I spoke to at a car show and he said what oil was I using, could be that? He asked if it was the Pentosin stuff.

It is actually the Motul Multi DCTF by Litchfield. Used 10litres of it when we took the bottom of the gearbox off and fitted the piston clips a couple months ago.

Basically, what should the settings be on/ my driving experience be?

Thanks!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
Yeah it solved the issue I was having by setting TP to -2. You can sit in your car and change it instantly to see the difference. I sat on my drive and set it to -1, let it creep forward, then set to -2, let it creep forward etc to find the best setting for what I wanted.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not much help on this forum I've found :/

Guess maybe most people just take it to someone else to do it?
I like to get in amongst it myself :p

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Found a user here with the same questions and got a kinda responce: Discussion on clutch capacities and touch points - Power and Drivetrain - Nissan GT-R Heritage

Post from a user called Shep:
I don't have a lot of time at the moment but raising cc is not the reason seals blow. Many of the trannies we see come in with blown seals were on bone stock cars. There is a design problem with the 09-11 seals and we are addressing that by having seals made out of a better material AND a different design. Basically sending a seal to China or wherever to have it copied will result in a seal that is worse than the factory seal.
In general I am not a fan of raising cc unless you need to. Thankfully EcuTek came along and we can actually have real data to make changes for a reason.

I'm glad to hear raising the cc (clutch capacities) is not going to blow anything, as I am running mine at +4 to avoid slip, have found lots of others doing the same, so can rest easy :)

Got my Touchpoints both at -4 so it only just pulls away in 1st, it was powering away too much and I was scared I was going to burn clutches.

Turns out having them set quite extreme (4out of 7) is not rare or unusual, or most importantly going to cause any damage.

Hopefully my findings can assist somebody else if they are needing to set them to a simular level and worried about causing damage.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Creeping forward on a flat surface with no drop in revs in 1st gear is what you are after. A/C off, by the way.

Your skipping problem on gear changes is something else.
The maps I got from GTC were doing the same thing, so I ditched them.
£480 for nothing. Nice one. :(

·
Registered
692 Posts
Yeah it solved the issue I was having by setting TP to -2. You can sit in your car and change it instantly to see the difference. I sat on my drive and set it to -1, let it creep forward, then set to -2, let it creep forward etc to find the best setting for what I wanted.
Was this tp-2 on both A & B?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Creeping forward on a flat surface with no drop in revs in 1st gear is what you are after. A/C off, by the way.

Your skipping problem on gear changes is something else.
The maps I got from GTC were doing the same thing, so I ditched them.
£480 for nothing. Nice one. :(

Your map was causing the trouble?

and having someone else do it solved it?? If that's the case then wow

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
in the middle of tuning winged gtr's after a few revisions. he has some bucking at low load which needs adjustment. seems ok on oem rom

drop me message and we'll go though from options for your creeping too much in 1st

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I sent logs on Saturday Ben for you to look at for me, waiting back on that still :) as still lots of soot even with the Asnus now fitted.

Also wanted a pops and bangs map I only recently hear you do!! :D
and a 95ron map maybe incase I can't find 99 on my Eurotrip thats coming up.

Maybe we can get rid of this 'bucking at low load' thing too then if it is indeed a mapping thing, I've upped my clutch capacity lots at the moment to get rid of it..

Thanks in advance..

So the answer to the first post could be its a mapping problem..

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Apparently my problem is not 'bucking' and is not a mapping issue.

Ben has suggested trying relearns again as last time I did one is didn't do anything so trying that again, and if no good, going to try going back from LC6 to LC4.

I'll report back :)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I put LC4 back on from the LC6 I had and then did a relearn with 0000

No more skipping! Success! so clutch capacities can be left on 00

Touch points though still needed to be on -4 -4 so it just creeps.

Put LC6 back on at this point (a new one Ben @ GTC send me and followed his instructions) and did a relearn again on 0000

LC6 must be a bit different, need clutch touch points set lower so it just creeps the same.

But main thing is no more skipping under low load when changing gear!

I was getting worried thinking I could have a clutch / box issue.

phew.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts