GTR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone got any tips on how to remove the rear diff filler plug on a gtr.
It's a 10mm hex.
Went to Machine Mart to get the correct size hex socket.
Fits tightly in diff plug.
Everything seemed to be going great until the diff plug rounded off inside. Now i can't get it out
(I've tried warming the casing up, and tapping it round with a punch, but i can't shift it.)

Any idea's .......

·
Registered
227 Posts
Use a piece of steel which will sit in the plug, a bolt for example, then hit that with a hammer. It's not easy unless you have the car on ramps, but if you can get enough height to swing the hammer it does work. If you imagine that between each of the threads on the plug and the internal threads a layer of particles have bound together. Hitting the plug hard enough shatters the particles by crushing them between the threads, causing the bond to release.

Aitch

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Aitch, i'll give that a try.
Any idea's where i can get a new filler plug from, coz this one's knackered ??

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
I had to get a new one from Nissan aswell...

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had a tight fitting reverse end stardrive bit and it came out. was your bit tight when you tried to remove as I have a spare if you want to borrow it.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Any tool which is not a tight fit will do the same, it's better to have to tap a key in with a hammer.

I think you'll find Nissan will have plug to fit, it'll be the same as others in the Nissan range.

Aitch

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your replies lads.
It'll have to wait till the weekend now before a get another chance to look at it.
I went into my local Nissan dealer to order a new plug today, and I must say,i'm very impressed. They can get me one the next day.
£ 5.56 I think it cost me.

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
You'll be surprised at how helpful some dealers are and sourcing stuff next day!!!

·
Registered
732 Posts
If that doesnt work..a bit of an alternative, but along the same lines as aitches, personally id go 2mm oversize into the plug with an allen key and weld it..then use a tight fitting spanner ring end and use that as an extra lever and four pound mash hammer for shock treatment to break the bond.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts