GTR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello people

please help me to do the timing step by step as I am assembling my engine and I dont want to mess everything up. as far as I know, match all small lines on the cam cover and crankshaft line with the dots on each sprokets and the that's its ?? :runaway:

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
For a standard engine the timing should read 20 degrees at T.D.C. Each mark on the crank pulley represents 5 degrees.

·
Registered
127 Posts
For a standard engine the timing should read 20 degrees at T.D.C. Each mark on the crank pulley represents 5 degrees.
Would that still read true even running different cams? Or would there be a different setting for them, eg on some 264's?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)

So this means the crank damper pulley 4th line should match the line on the cover behind it? right ? but after setting this, what about the dots on the CAM gears. The dots should now be set automatically in the same position with lines on the timing cover . correct me if am wrong ?. should the pistons be in a certain posotion while setting the timing? PLEASE BEAR WITH ME FOR ASKING A LOT OF Qs BEACAUSE I AM STILL A BEGENER!! I NEED SOME INFO FROM GURUS LIKE U GUYS !!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
so are you timing in cams with vernier wheels, or just trying to put your cambelt back on? The crank needs to be at TDC for piston #1 and then the dots etc line up with the backing plate behind the cam-wheels. I fit the cambelt in an anti-clockwise direction, i.e. on the crank gear, then exhaust cam then the intake cam, as the tensioner is on the intake side... like so:

If you are timing in cams to a specific centreline with vernier wheels and a dial-guage, that is a whole separate discussion!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:sadwavey:
so are you timing in cams with vernier wheels, or just trying to put your cambelt back on? The crank needs to be at TDC for piston #1 and then the dots etc line up with the backing plate behind the cam-wheels. I fit the cambelt in an anti-clockwise direction, i.e. on the crank gear, then exhaust cam then the intake cam, as the tensioner is on the intake side... like so:

If you are timing in cams to a specific centreline with vernier wheels and a dial-guage, that is a whole separate discussion!!

As I said I am rebuilding my engine and I have the standard cam gears and almost all stock. my question is at what degree or TDC should the crank gear be on to set it for piston #1 ( 0, 5, 10, 15, 20 etc...?) do i have to rotate the cranck before. what about the angle sensor do I have to set it also?:runaway:

Oh man I still did not get it :nervous:

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
After reading this thread I'm getting a little confused now :runaway:

For what do I need the TDC marks and when do I need to change from 20° to lets say 10° or 30°???

I always thought this was about the ignition timing and the movement of the CAS was just to fine tune the ignition... :nervous:

Leo

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I didn't think GTR's were different from other motors, but someone correct me if I'm wrong here....

Ok, set the crank to TDC. Either by aligning the dot on the crank drive gear (for the timing belt) with the mark on the oil pump, by using the crank pulley marks or by the old school way of setting #1 piston (the front one for noobs) to TDC by putting a stick or dial-gauge down the spark plug hole and turn the crank one way till you get to the top, mark where the crank is, turn the other way till you get to the top, mark where the crank is then set it in between the two marks (if using a dial-gauge the marks should be pretty much in the same place). Remember that both intake and exhaust cams need to be in about the right place otherwise "problems" may occur!

now that the crank is at TDC, line up the marks on your cam wheels and install your cam belt.

When changing belts, I always set the motor to TDC on #1 first - a lot less stuffing around!

hope this a) makes sense and b) helps!

*edit: Ahh, Chris not only beat me to it, but included a picture! clever trousers that man!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didn't think GTR's were different from other motors, but someone correct me if I'm wrong here....

Ok, set the crank to TDC. Either by aligning the dot on the crank drive gear (for the timing belt) with the mark on the oil pump, by using the crank pulley marks or by the old school way of setting #1 piston (the front one for noobs) to TDC by putting a stick or dial-gauge down the spark plug hole and turn the crank one way till you get to the top, mark where the crank is, turn the other way till you get to the top, mark where the crank is then set it in between the two marks (if using a dial-gauge the marks should be pretty much in the same place). Remember that both intake and exhaust cams need to be in about the right place otherwise "problems" may occur!

now that the crank is at TDC, line up the marks on your cam wheels and install your cam belt.

When changing belts, I always set the motor to TDC on #1 first - a lot less stuffing around!

hope this a) makes sense and b) helps!

*edit: Ahh, Chris not only beat me to it, but included a picture! clever trousers that man!
a) makes sense b) good explantion & c) 10/10 :bowdown1:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts