GTR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been out in the pissing rain all afternoon and found the only way I can change my back pads (I have the brembo setup on my 32 vspec) is to take the callpier off, put the pad furthest away from me into the calliper then put the calliper onto the car. This seems a very stupid way to do it - is there an easier way?

I changed the back discs and pads last year and remember having a similar problem...

Also I've noticed the pad furthest away from me when looking at the car (the one you can't check without taking the wheel off) wears a bit quicker than the other. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance for any help:)

Cheers,
Sam

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,203 Posts
I've been out in the pissing rain all afternoon and found the only way I can change my back pads (I have the brembo setup on my 32 vspec) is to take the callpier off, put the pad furthest away from me into the calliper then put the calliper onto the car. This seems a very stupid way to do it - is there an easier way?

I changed the back discs and pads last year and remember having a similar problem...

Also I've noticed the pad furthest away from me when looking at the car (the one you can't check without taking the wheel off) wears a bit quicker than the other. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance for any help:)

Cheers,
Sam
Can't comments on Brembos but I doubt they're any different from anything else. Usually I'd remove the caliper and push the pistons back into the calliper. A g-clamp with something to protect the piston and calliper dos the trick. Both pads back in the calliper and then the calliper back on the car.

Usually the inside (car side) pads wear quicker than the outside pads.

·
Registered
509 Posts
remove the 2 small pins that stop the pad slider pins falling out,remove slider pins pull out brake pad and slowly squeeze piston in then fit new pad and do exactly the same to other pad jobs simple no need whatsoever to remove the caliper mate :)

takes me 15 mins a side to do them including jacking up and removeing the wheel:)

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for you replies chaps:)

Cris - that's exactly what I thought I was going to do but the pad closest to the car won't go in:( it's just ever so slightly too wide. It should be just the same as the front surely?. iLm thinking the pads I've got are not the perfect size for my callipers.. the pad I took out was down to the metal and came out no problem. The pads I'm putting in came off the car and are well worn but will keep me going till I get a new set..

I'm sure when I replaced the discs and pads last time I had to put the pad into the calliper first then put the calliper on the car..
What pads do you use that fit without taking the calliper?

Thanks again:)

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
The problem is that the pads sit on little stainless steel bits that are bolted in with aan allen bolt.

You get corrosion in the alloy under the stainless and it closes up the pad gap.

I took mine apart - scraped off the corrosion and cleaned it up then touched in with caliper paint. Pads slide in and are free to 'float' properly.
I dare say it will cure your pad wear issues.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
The problem is that the pads sit on little stainless steel bits that are bolted in with aan allen bolt.

You get corrosion in the alloy under the stainless and it closes up the pad gap.

I took mine apart - scraped off the corrosion and cleaned it up then touched in with caliper paint. Pads slide in and are free to 'float' properly.
I dare say it will cure your pad wear issues.
+1 - I had this on my fronts.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lightspeed - you are an absolue genius!!!! Information like this is what makes this forum so great.
Thank you so much:)

Tone - I tried calling you yesterday quite a few times but could only get through to awnser phones. Didn't want to disturb you and leave a message.... think you may remember the last time I tired to do my back brakes... I had no idea the back disc was held on by the drum brake for the handbrake doh! You soon put me right tho:) thanks!

It's sunny, Brands Hatch is on and I've nearly fixed my brakes..... AWESOME! :)

Thanks all:)
Sam

419 Posts
Lightspeed - you are an absolue genius!!!! Information like this is what makes this forum so great.
Thank you so much:)

Tone - I tried calling you yesterday quite a few times but could only get through to awnser phones. Didn't want to disturb you and leave a message.... think you may remember the last time I tired to do my back brakes... I had no idea the back disc was held on by the drum brake for the handbrake doh! You soon put me right tho:) thanks!

It's sunny, Brands Hatch is on and I've nearly fixed my brakes..... AWESOME! :)

Thanks all:)
Sam
Messages too technical for musicians...................:thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts