GTR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My passenger wing mirror took a beating from some bloody imbeciles/scumbags last night. :mad: :mad:

Only the glass has been damaged and I was wondering if parts were available to fix it? Or would I have to buy a new unit entirley? If so what is the likely cost invovled and where could I get one? :(

Many thanks,
Yuk

·
Registered
865 Posts
If its just the glass that is damaged take it out and draw it on a piece of paper, then take it to halfords and they can get it sent to a company called astrali who will diamond cut a new glass from you via the template you provided.

Cost around £20 and for that u can have std, anti dazzle, or blind spot mirror mate.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Rich J..

Wow! Many thanks indeed, I shall give Halfords a try straight after work tommorrow. :D :D :D :D :D

And £20 isn't bad at all, I thought I was gonna have to fork out three figures for a new unit + respray.

Would you know where I can get an anti-theft/anti-vandalism device that'll electrocute the little tinkers too? :D :D - may even stop my valve caps from walking off all the time :(

But seriously, the prompt and efficient reply was much appreciated and has restored my trust in mankind again :)

Ta very much,
Yuk.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Nah not if its just the mirror glass mate as if it not on the shelf than it can be made, takes about 5days though but i would of thought it cheaper than buying via nissan.

Were ur wing mirrors in then? Is the casing ok or is it just the glass that took the brunt of it?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just the glass thank god!

Yeah,

It was just the glass and the casing seems OK. More to the point the electric is still working, as the thing tilted up and down etc -just can't see an effing thing cos of all the cracks.

I suspect the culprits were attracted into the area by the legal cruise thing in Cardiff last night. It isn't normally so bad on most days. The amount of so called 'modified metal' was unbelievable. I feel sorry for the neighbours though, some had the entire mirrors ripped off and windscreens damaged. Thank god the Scooby wasn't parked out the front as well.

And I'd rather wait a few days than cough up on the prices Nissan charge for these 'premium' bits that have to take weeks to arrive from Japan.

BTW would you know where I source some paint for touching up purposes? Would go to Nissan but they seem a little confused about paint codes etc. In fact anything bigger than a micra scares the cr*p out of them down here.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Yeah colour wise halfords again mate, they use holts mixing system and has a lot of the colours for imported cars on there also. If mixed right should come up trumps, not that it should go wrong being on a computer in front of u but halfords to employ some strange ones lol.

Have u got your colour code, and what colour is your car? Should be able to tell u then if they have it. (I'm a ripspeed specail needs person so know little things like this:):p lol)

Oh well a scooby aswell hey, but as you say at least thats ok. Where abouts in S.Wales r u?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Halfords it is

I shall check the code tommorrow - too cold and windy to flip the bonnet right now. :D

The Scooby isn't mine, it belongs to my brother but I've become well attached to it because my car seems to be forever off the road :D

And I am in the Capital of Wales Cardiff. There is a serious lacking in this area when it comes to half decent mechanics or tuners. This forum has become an absolute goldmine of information thanks to helpful people like your goodself.

There don't seem to be many Skylines in the area either, though i have just persuaded a mate to get an R32 GTR so at least I'll know one other in the area :)

Skylining in Cardiff seems to be a lonely habit.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I'm from that way originally, well church village near Pontypridd. I was down a few months back in the car, if i'm down that way again i'll drop u a line.

There are a few skylines down that way just not ppl from here or ppl that like to show them off thats all. Think Tigger isn't far from u either as she has a R33 GTR.

As for the colour code its only three Numbers long mate, and is on the blue plate on the bulk head drivers side. (Sorry if u knew that already)

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Please do..

A Ponty boy? (well near enough), let me know whenever you are down, it'll be good to chat to somebody intelligent about the cars without resorting to the usual 'how fast?' and 'I know someone who has 1000 BHP in his' ;).

And I know what you mean about elsusive skyliners down here. Spotted about 4 around S Wales in all. But I suppose to most owners it can be worrying that you attract the wrong sort of attention and its best to err on the side of caution.

And I know where the paint code is thanks (no need to apologise it would have been useful if I didn't know), had need of it a while again when I had the Jun bumper put in. Though at the time it took me and the workshop all flipping day to confirm the code and then have to decide whether it was the slightly blue tint or grey tint - but thats part of the fun :D

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mission accomplished...

RichJ - ripspeed man!

Went to Halfords and got the template in, only drawaback - antiglare not available and will have to wait two weeks. But at least £19.99 and a bit of sticky is better than the other alternatives.

Also got the paint sorted - paint code KH2 K. Not sure if the final K is relevant and could only find KH2 anyway on the computer. There was bit of crisis when we couldn't find Nissan on the screen, thats cos it was listed under Datsun/Nissan. But left happy clutching me little pot of paint. The guy seemed suitably impressed with the car. So got what I wanted and chuffed to bits by the complements too.

Just got to wait for my shiny bit to arrive now. PM me if ever you are in town or I could PM you my details to you later - I owe you a drink.

Cheers,
Yuk :smokin: :smokin:

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello...

Tigger are you from the Barry area then? Not seen any Skylines in that neck of the woods and I used to go there everyday. And I think doing the Island on last Saturday would have been a little brisk to say the least.

I shall be more alert to other skylines in the area from now on, it seems there are many more around town than I first thought.
Y.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
well I lived in Sully before I moved to Reading, but my mum and dad and nan are still there....will let you know when I am next down!!

·
Registered
865 Posts
Oh well been a while since i did a glass template order, lol But at least u got what u wanted. I was going to say about the paint as it comes under datsun, some ppl spend ages looking for some companys as the computer program used is in italian, doh! lol

Glad your happy mate, and if i'm in the area i'll be sure to buzz ya!:D

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okey Dokey

Contact details will be available later in the year when I complete my move to my new home. I just hope the car will fit into the garage :D

Until then be good (or try)

Yuk.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts