GTR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

With any luck I should be purchasing a nice minter R32 GTR this weekend, im planning on using the car as a daily driver as I have another weekend toy to use.

What I plan to do is the odd track day, so I would like to budget for modifications which are sensible and don't affect the cars driving ability for daily driving.

I will definetly be putting some big AP brakes on the car, so I now need to know what is the best suspension for a small budget? I don't want to spend alot as its only a daily driver and its going to be used for fun not serious spurts of lunacy ;)

Also which exhaust do R32's mostly behave with ie torqiue, bhp?

Induction Kits?

Oil Cooler is a must

Anyone recomend any other modifications to keep the monster sweet?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Uprated intercooler will give it some extra chuff. Dunno if you can fit the R33 GTR one on it, but if you can you're in luck because I will be selling mine soon (what an amazing coincidence!) :rolleyes:

I'm not an expert on R32's (or Skylines as a whole) but I'd say an induction kit should be the first port of call.

·
Registered
961 Posts
the skyline responds very well to any mod !
air kit and exshast are first as far as i know
but then its mad every upgrade makes a big differents
injecters, coolers,sumps,ecu's,turbos,etc

this is what i would do(apart from everything)
defenetly brakes-its a funny thing stopping
take the items that will make it relyable like coolers ,sumps
coz of the beating it will get as a track car and the fact is every day it gets used
upgraded ecu's are the best thing for the car
or if its got make sure its working right to every thing on the car coz this is what makes a reliyable car if its allays on the limit its not going to last.
allso depends on budget
and prioratising
maybe a air/fuel ratio controler is worth every penny
once everythings sorted in reliyability
time to make big bhp
with tubos and injecters /rails /pumps/intercoolers !
that way it reliable and powerfull!
wheels susspention is up to u as well
your choice !

my 2quids worth!:D

·
Registered
326 Posts
H41,

As you are getting an R32, double check what has already been done to the car, as I think the figure is 95% have already been modified, whether it just be an exhaust system up to the full jobbie. get the garage you are buying it from to help look at the exhaust, see if it is bigger or has a brand name on it, check under the bonnet for cone filters or items with brands on it like HKS, Nismo, it could save you money. Also the exhaust to offer the best gains, I think would be HKS, but it all depends what you want it to sound like, some are loud, some more quiet. As for real advice on the job, like people have said, the forum members who run tuned R32's also best bet would be a recomended tuner, check under the links for your closest, give them a call, or pop along, they know the skylines inside out.

·
Registered
167 Posts
R32 Mods

Hi H41

I have an R32 GTR which I have had for 2 years. Started out completly standard no mods. I changed the air filters to HKS, I then put on some HKS down pipes. CAT removal pipe and then a Blitz back section with removable siliencer.

This is all I have done so far and I have the car dynod at TJ's and it is pushing out 360BHP.

Not bad for a small amount being done.

The next step I intend on doing is this.

EVC pro so that I can up the boost to 1 bar on standard turbos
Oil cooler, because the oil does get rather hot when motoring.

Then Stage 1 cams SS Head gasket Steel Turbos and Apexi Controller.

I think this should produce a nice quick car without too much expense.

I expect when I come to do this I will spend more money on other toys. But at least I have a plan..

Take it easy

malc

·
Registered
710 Posts
I'd pretty much go will Malc's recommendations.

Go with an exhaust (I think all makes offer similar power but my personal choice would be a Kakimoto N1) , front pipe and an induction kit. Add an oil cooler and I'd personally go for Tein HA's on the suspension side. Bigger brakes are a must, a sump kit would be handy but it'll depend on your budget 'cos it's a big job to fit.

I have a heavily modded R32 and apart from the clutch it's just as user friendly as a standard car.

Talat.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the advice guys, certainly helps someone like me who's a skyline virgin, the car already has an uprated exhaust but I think its just a normal jap spec backbox so probably some Jasma jobby.

Tein Susp seems to be the way to go after doing some searchin on the board, brakes will defo be AP but smaller ones as its only got standard 16's on the car. Induction wise I think I will do some more searching.

Thanks

·
Registered
404 Posts
Skyline tuning

This has been done to death Skyline tuning on this board but as I’m waiting for someone here we go again:

1. Is an oil cooler must have for track days and even UK road use.
2. ECU re-map for UK fuel and bigger boost (more later).
3. Bigger down pipes for free flow exhaust gases to the turbos.
4. A K&N type filter panel is good enough for up to 500bhp.
5. A big bore exhaust cat back.
6. Either a cat bypass tube or a free flow cat.
7. Iridium spark plugs.
8. And Motul oils according to Gary ;)

That’s a nice stage 1 engine tune-up.

Next is bigger boost, for that you’ll need a boost controller and an accurate boost gauge (keep it under 1 bar at this stage).

Handling can be improved with better breaks or just use Castrol SRF if your just doing a little track use. Bilstein sports shocks are a good compromise for road and track use.

Stage 2 could be upgraded steel turbos, a steel head gasket, high lift cams, a bigger intercooler and even hard pipes to go with it. This lot will allow you to use more boost maybe 1.2 bar or so.

Stage 3 sell the house and move into the car because from here on it’s expensive.

Hope this helps.

Paul.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Welcome to the world of 32's.

Does yours have the standard air box/filter? If so I would recommend a change there. I used to have the HKS dome type filters on but recently changed to a pair of Apexi's. The benefit is cleaner air and no filter pads to be replaced. The theory is that they should last 60,000 miles without maintenance. Ross, has recently dumped the standard air-box and fitted Blitz filters on his baby and found a difference too.

The other thing to check is the turbos, if they are still standard the question is whether they have the original ceramic wheels in. Often these are changed to steel inners as the ceramic ones are prone to shattering.

I agree on the intercooler and oil cooler, and an HKS super dragger exhaust with a cat-ectomy. After that you're looking at upgraded cams, bigger turbos and bigger injectors, evc, but a lot depends on your budget. You will probably have to prioitize.

So, tell us which car you're buying?

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts