GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My problem is that my Blue MY13 is suffering badly from stone chips on the bonnet and they are white underneath and really showing up so having only covered 7k from new i decided to get a clear wrap. I called Valet Magic and was quoted £695 for the front end plus mirrors which i didn't think was too bad. I then called Chameleon wrap in Milton Keynes and they quoted me £395 for all the "vertical bits" and only half bonnet (up to the bottom of the vents) and if i wanted the whole bonnet done it would be £495 all in. i was then showing my brother the chips and explaining what would be wrapped and noticed what i can only describe as a nasty figure 8 scratch on the front of the bonnet (not massively deep) so its pointless getting the wrap fitted with the scratch underneath. my question is does anyone know where i can get the bonnet polished and possibly touched up (chips) prior to a wrap (clear paint protection) and then wrapped all in the same place plus recommendations for the best type of paint protection wrap/covering. i am based in the south east near milton Keynes but i don't mind travelling a bit.

Thank you all in a advance.

·
Premium Member
3,353 Posts
Give Paul at PWPro a call, I'm sure he can sort you out. There is no point having half the bonnet wrapped, it will show up really badly where the wrap finishes.

·
Registered
166 Posts
i dont know anyone to do it,but the laquer is not very thick.with a a bit of wet sanding its very easy to go through to the paint.they maybe able to polish the scratch out.i would do it by hand.
good luck

·
Registered
941 Posts
Avoid Valet Magic, go to Paul at PW Pro in Mansfield. A bit of a trek but worth it. He'll be able to sort out the paint problems. Not sure he'll do a clear wrap though, he doesn't rate them.

·
Registered
644 Posts
It all depends on how bad it is smikee.. post a pic up or something..

ideally you would be best off just leaving it the way it is.. enjoy the car, have fun and dont worry about stone chips.. Then when its summer and weather calms down a bit, you can get a nice fresh respray on the bonnet + front bumper.. Then get it detailed at pwpro or wrapped depending on what your after.. But i would recommend u get a colour of your choice if you go for the wrap as I have seen many clear wraps and they look horrible after some weathering + stone chips.. i personally would jus get it detailed :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
The Blue colour is my favorite one, I am looking for that: could you tell me about your use, how many miles per day, which kind of road, traffic and speed? :(

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Give Paul at PWPro a call, I'm sure he can sort you out. There is no point having half the bonnet wrapped, it will show up really badly where the wrap finishes.
Thanks Barry, :thumbsup: i have heard about these chaps before, your right though it is quite a trek. i may look for something a bit nearer to home.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i dont know anyone to do it,but the laquer is not very thick.with a a bit of wet sanding its very easy to go through to the paint.they maybe able to polish the scratch out.i would do it by hand.
good luck
to be honest the swirling in the paintwork is appalling so i may end up having the whole car polished! :bawling:
thanks for your help anyways.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Avoid Valet Magic, go to Paul at PW Pro in Mansfield. A bit of a trek but worth it. He'll be able to sort out the paint problems. Not sure he'll do a clear wrap though, he doesn't rate them.
Again PW Pro stands out.. thanks for the heads up Neanderthal. i have had mixed reactions to the clear wrap. i may have to do more research.

·
Registered
924 Posts
My problem is that my Blue MY13 is suffering badly from stone chips on the bonnet and they are white underneath and really showing up so having only covered 7k from new i decided to get a clear wrap. I called Valet Magic and was quoted £695 for the front end plus mirrors which i didn't think was too bad. I then called Chameleon wrap in Milton Keynes and they quoted me £395 for all the "vertical bits" and only half bonnet (up to the bottom of the vents) and if i wanted the whole bonnet done it would be £495 all in. i was then showing my brother the chips and explaining what would be wrapped and noticed what i can only describe as a nasty figure 8 scratch on the front of the bonnet (not massively deep) so its pointless getting the wrap fitted with the scratch underneath. my question is does anyone know where i can get the bonnet polished and possibly touched up (chips) prior to a wrap (clear paint protection) and then wrapped all in the same place plus recommendations for the best type of paint protection wrap/covering. i am based in the south east near milton Keynes but i don't mind travelling a bit.

Thank you all in a advance.
I had a very similar problem with mine although Kuro black.

The only way that suited my OCD was to get the front end painted and then Ventureshield wrapped ,complete front end to the doors.

I have to say that the painter that VM use is superb, but you pay for it.

The Ventureshield application however wasn't the best.

I would get a reputable painter to sort it then use a class wrapper to do the clear once the paint has had time to fully cure, minimum 7 days.

The result will leave you very happy if you're as OCD as I am.

Not cheap but is perfect ever cheap?

Hope you get a result that leaves you impressed.

Satan

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It all depends on how bad it is smikee.. post a pic up or something..

ideally you would be best off just leaving it the way it is.. enjoy the car, have fun and dont worry about stone chips.. Then when its summer and weather calms down a bit, you can get a nice fresh respray on the bonnet + front bumper.. Then get it detailed at pwpro or wrapped depending on what your after.. But i would recommend u get a colour of your choice if you go for the wrap as I have seen many clear wraps and they look horrible after some weathering + stone chips.. i personally would jus get it detailed :)
Fair point Hashlak, and you do have a point but i do seem to be more anal about this one as the blue really shows the damage :bawling: my first GT-R was a UMS and i had that for 4 years and covered 80K and the stone chips didn't really show and let me tell you there were LOTS after 80k motorway miles!! i may still go down the wrapping route. thank you for your feedback.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Blue colour is my favorite one, I am looking for that: could you tell me about your use, how many miles per day, which kind of road, traffic and speed? :(
Hi RBT, my use is massive!! its my everyday car and i travel from Oxford area into London everyday so basically 3 major roads at speeds of around and no greater than 70mph...:nervous: the stone chips killed my first one but they didn't show as bad so i didn't seem to worry quite so much. Hay Ho i am sure i will sort it out.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Valet Magic...

to be honest the swirling in the paintwork is appalling so i may end up having the whole car polished! :bawling:
thanks for your help anyways.
Hi Smikee, Valet Magic wrapped my black GT-R it was superb, also sorted the stone chips and got rid of the swirl marks on my Daytona blue GT-R the bodywork looked like a sheet of glass.... I would stick with Robbie he really knows the GT-R....! :clap:

Dan...

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had a very similar problem with mine although Kuro black.

The only way that suited my OCD was to get the front end painted and then Ventureshield wrapped ,complete front end to the doors.

I have to say that the painter that VM use is superb, but you pay for it.

The Ventureshield application however wasn't the best.

I would get a reputable painter to sort it then use a class wrapper to do the clear once the paint has had time to fully cure, minimum 7 days.

The result will leave you very happy if you're as OCD as I am.

Not cheap but is perfect ever cheap?

Hope you get a result that leaves you impressed.

Satan
Hi Satan, when you say "VM" with reference to the painter what/who do you mean? i don't think i am as OCD as you lol so i don't think ill be repainting the bonnet just yet but i would like to stop the chips now before they get really bad as i know that before long its going to be worn out like the last one. :cool: Thanks for the info though.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Smikee, Valet Magic wrapped my black GT-R it was superb, also sorted the stone chips and got rid of the swirl marks on my Daytona blue GT-R the bodywork looked like a sheet of glass.... I would stick with Robbie he really knows the GT-R....! :clap:

Dan...
Hi Dan,

I did speak to Robbie first and i don't want to start a whole "Valet Magic" debate again after having done my research and seeing him so often on here and then nothing i did wonder what happened. a quick Google search planted a few seeds but as i have no beef with him and he is local i may give him a call back tomorrow and ask a few more questions.

Watch this space. :D:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Hi Dan,

I did speak to Robbie first and i don't want to start a whole "Valet Magic" debate again after having done my research and seeing him so often on here and then nothing i did wonder what happened. a quick Google search planted a few seeds but as i have no beef with him and he is local i may give him a call back tomorrow and ask a few more questions.

Watch this space. :D:thumbsup:
Agree, best to stay out of that:lamer:..

I just take any company on my experience...! I know having a Daytona blue how you feel as they look so good polished, but stone chips are so evident :chairshot

Robbie will get it looking stunning again:thumbsup:

Dan...

·
Registered
9,090 Posts
Try Alfie next door the ace cafe. It's on your way to oxford from London, just by hangar lane.

He has an excellent paintshop and can get rid of your swirl marks for you. Then get it clear wrapped.

Robbie did mine originally and while I am happy with the job, I'm terrified to know if it was cut in with a blade.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Agree, best to stay out of that:lamer:..

I just take any company on my experience...! I know having a Daytona blue how you feel as they look so good polished, but stone chips are so evident :chairshot

Robbie will get it looking stunning again:thumbsup:

Dan...
my first call tomorrow, ill post my outcome. thanks again Dan.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Try Alfie next door the ace cafe. It's on your way to oxford from London, just by hangar lane.

He has an excellent paintshop and can get rid of your swirl marks for you. Then get it clear wrapped.

Robbie did mine originally and while I am happy with the job, I'm terrified to know if it was cut in with a blade.
YIKES!!!:nervous: i have nothing to lose by asking Robbie straight out about the "knife gate" scenario... and if i have any doubts ill try Alfie as he reallyis on my way in. thanks for the help Adamantium.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Already good advice above fella. I personally would get the chips etc all sorted before wrapping. Otherwise there's a chance of getting little bubbles over time where the chips are.

Mines getting close to the point that it needs doing. In fact I have a nasty chip on the nose so will get it all sorted before clear wrapping or going for a full on wrap. Thing is I do a bit of hooning with my mates and the front gets mullered. Going to wait until this hoon season (yet to start lol) is over.

Good luck fella. Oh and you can't go wrong with Paul and his team ; )

1 - 20 of 67 Posts