GTR Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After collecting my car from some work (circlips) there is a constant crackle and static noise through on the speakers on the rear shelf. The noise is there when the ignition is on whether the hi fi is on or not, it does not get louder or change with revs or get louder with the hi fi volume.

I spoke to our car hi fi guys who thought it might be an amp issue or a volume reostat(?) .

The car is a 2009 UK with the Bose system.

·
Registered
119 Posts
After collecting my car from some work (circlips) there is a constant crackle and static noise through on the speakers on the rear shelf. The noise is there when the ignition is on whether the hi fi is on or not, it does not get louder or change with revs or get louder with the hi fi volume.

I spoke to our car hi fi guys who thought it might be an amp issue or a volume reostat(?) .

The car is a 2009 UK with the Bose system.

have you checked the speaker wires/connections? is it only happen when the music is played?

·
Registered
09 stage 1 black edition (stolen), Esprit V8, Corvette C5, Jag XFR
22 Posts
Hi

Did anybody get anywhere with this? I noticed the same symptoms coming from the rear speakers for the first time today when I pulled over minutes into my first drive after a service and I am 99.999% sure it wasn't happening before. As well as the service I had the solenoids cleaned and caps / additional magnets fitted, a coincidence as the incident in the first post occurred after work on the circlips. Could I have stumbled on the cause? Could it be some interference from the gearbox magnet? Or just a coincidence? Have any other early 09 owners experienced the same?

Fortunately it doesn't get worse when the volume is turned up and is not noticeable when the car's moving. Still, grateful for any input.

Cheers

Tim

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Hi Tim,

I had this same problem, also early 09 car, though it was the front passenger speaker crackling.

It started happening after I had some warranty work done (not gearbox related, it was a replacement instrument cluster). Like you, I noticed it on the first drive after the work had been done, but Nissan were adament that nothing they had done would have disturbed any wiring or caused the issue.

In the end Nissan determined that it was a fault with the head unit and replaced it under warranty. This fixed the issue, and also fixed some distortion I was getting from the front drivers speaker that I had previously assumed was the speaker breaking down.

Ben.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Update: the garage are convinced its nothing to do with the gearbox service but have very kindly offered to take a look and run some diagnostics.

Not sure when I'll next get the chance to take the car to the garage so could be a slow burner but I'll update at the time.

I'm the meantime if there are any others that have experienced similar please chip in as it would be nice to get to the bottom of it if the default 'replace the head unit' answer turns out to be incorrect. In my case it seems a pretty big coincidence that my head unit went from healthy to crackly at the same time as the service.

·
Vendor
1,709 Posts
If its a static/crackle from the speakers, either front or back or both, and it normally happens when the head unit is on or off then its very likely to be the head unit fault. It normally gets worse over time. Can't see how its related to the work at the garage.

Much more common in the UK on the non-nav models so not sure if that's what you have. I don't think there are any warranty options for them now. If its a non-nav then its over 5 years old and if its a nav model then its not covered by the extended warranty, just the normal 3 year. This is as far as I know. I have a couple of options available to you if this turns out to being a future problem for you.

·
Premium Member
7,641 Posts
If your head unit is non nav and faulty, I have a fully working non nav unit that I took out of my own car.

PM me if you want to buy it. It'd certainly be cheaper than Nissan or having your old unit fixed.

·
Vendor
1,709 Posts
If your head unit is non nav and faulty, I have a fully working non nav unit that I took out of my own car.

PM me if you want to buy it. It'd certainly be cheaper than Nissan or having your old unit fixed.
Need to be a bit careful of this option. The stock head units are tied up to your chassis. They need to be unlocked to work with other cars. Can be done but its about £400 I was told to unlock them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Have the same problem on my 09 JDM, its mostly noticeable only at low audio volumes, but its there
When did it start Fash?

Charlie - thanks for the offer but if it does turn out to be a dodgy head unit (and it still seems too much of a coincidence to me but what do I know) then I'd be temted to pull the trigger on the nav update from the general chat thread.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.