GTR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Well finally got round to swapping my paddles for the recently purchased carbon extended ones.
I have watched the you tube tutorial about 4 times before I attempted this "simple" project but hit a major issue and potentially expensive馃槪

On the EBA models the airbag is held in by 2 x wire spring clips, on the you tube tutorial it shows the guy simply locating a hook into the clips and pulling forward to release the main springs on the air bag.

So here I am doing the same, I located the first spring clip and I pulled it towards the hole in the steering wheel casing and bingo ( so I thought) it just came away with little pressure I thought happy days on to the next one so located it pulled it forward and not so easy! Every time I pulled it it sprang back in to position then the alarm bells started ringing馃

I went back to the other side and realised that the spring clip must have broken when I pulled it forward! Well 3 hours later after many many many attempts to release their bag without success I have come to the awful conclusion that I think I am in the shit big time as the airbag is loose but mot loose enough to come out or won't go back in ffs!!

Any thoughts guys before I start hacking away at the steering wheel surround to get to the broken clips馃槧

Registered
Well finally got round to swapping my paddles for the recently purchased carbon extended ones.
I have watched the you tube tutorial about 4 times before I attempted this "simple" project but hit a major issue and potentially expensive馃槪

On the EBA models the airbag is held in by 2 x wire spring clips, on the you tube tutorial it shows the guy simply locating a hook into the clips and pulling forward to release the main springs on the air bag.

So here I am doing the same, I located the first spring clip and I pulled it towards the hole in the steering wheel casing and bingo ( so I thought) it just came away with little pressure I thought happy days on to the next one so located it pulled it forward and not so easy! Every time I pulled it it sprang back in to position then the alarm bells started ringing馃

I went back to the other side and realised that the spring clip must have broken when I pulled it forward! Well 3 hours later after many many many attempts to release their bag without success I have come to the awful conclusion that I think I am in the shit big time as the airbag is loose but mot loose enough to come out or won't go back in ffs!!

Any thoughts guys before I start hacking away at the steering wheel surround to get to the broken clips馃槧
Did you push remove the little round cover on the bottom as well as the two side ones ?

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Did you push remove the little round cover on the bottom as well as the two side ones ?
Yes fella watched the video 5 times and the first attempt to pull spring clip back it broke and I ain't kidding when I say I pulled it very gently馃様 I rekon it must have been off before as I can't see why it would snap so easily.

Registered
Anyone have the ability to post a parts diagram up on here?
Has it definatly snapped ? And not just come out if it鈥檚 carrier ? Give me a minute and I will get some pics of where they sit , I know when I did mine I didn鈥檛 think it was lose until I pushed from the bottom and then it pinged off

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Has it definatly snapped ? And not just come out if it鈥檚 carrier ? Give me a minute and I will get some pics of where they sit , I know when I did mine I didn鈥檛 think it was lose until I pushed from the bottom and then it pinged off
Well Mike I think it must have because I cannot pull the airbag out of the steering wheel it's pretty wobbly now but refuses to come out.
I had to walk away from it before I made rash decisions and ended up breaking much more.

When you push up at the bottom do you need much force? because I read you have to be careful not to snap the black plastic clip ( like I need to worry about that 馃檴)

Registered
Well Mike I think it must have because I cannot pull the airbag out of the steering wheel it's pretty wobbly now but refuses to come out.
I had to walk away from it before I made rash decisions and ended up breaking much more.

When you push up at the bottom do you need much force? because I read you have to be careful not to snap the black plastic clip ( like I need to worry about that 馃檴)
No not a lot of force , just push it up and if it鈥檚 loose it should pop off , I have added some pics of the clips , they do slip off from there holders , mine both slipped off lol

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Cheers Mike
I can't believe it broke must have just came away,I will tackle it again tomorrow 馃憤

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
鈽嗏槅UPDATE鈽嗏槅
All done I was just being too careful and needed a bit more pressure on the bottom clip as I read about how easy the clip can be broken.
Removed the air bag and In deed found the clips just fell out there position 馃槄
Thanks for your help guys馃檹馃檹

Registered
2013 Litchfield Stage 2 R35 GTR
Phew that鈥檚 good news. Been reading this & it鈥檚 been stressing me out knowing how annoying it can be when something that鈥檚 supposed to be simple goes wrong.

I鈥檓 off to Kaiser Friday for some bits & Sly is going to do my MY13 ones whilst there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts