GTR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I know that many of you have fitted oil coolers and were to fit them I have seen some of the posts from Richard Bell and I rember some posts from Peter E

well what I would like to try to do is as it is only a Oil cooler to find an off the shelf unit of the right size and put the standard adaperts and remote oil filter unit with thermostate controle and make some brackets up to fit as a HKS or Trust unit I think that I should beable to this for a lot less that than the prices that the tunning houses are banding about!! Oil collers are not that special they just do the job and as you can get them from the racing world it is just a matter of finding the bits of the shelf

with your help I can do all the hard work! get the bracket made and if any one else wants one I will have the list of parts costs and fitting instrutions in Engish to pass on!

I have fitted many oil coolers over the years with out any problems getting parts from Race Products neer Oxford who supply kit to the racing world!! I even have people who make units to order I just need a little more infomation!!

Thanks

Bruce

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
oil cooler

Some of the guys over at my local nissan garage reckon the most ingenious oil cooler they have seen was fitted on some of the 32's they worked on. it consisted of an adapter to allow the oil filter to stay where it lives but adding and inlet/outlet pipe, then it was simply a length of braided pipe which was threaded through the access hole behind the headlight then using the clips that you use to secure things to car radiators the pipe was fed all around the front end of the car then fed back to the branch off point.
apparently it worked a treat..... I wish I had known before we fitted the one I bought off Guy what an absolute bastard..

another option is the kit that Abbey sell is made up of Mocul oil radiator and parts, these are available through demon tweeks.
if you want I can have a measure up and tell you the size of the one they supply.... it is a bitch to fit though. The compressor for the A/C gets in the way.

personally I'd go for the long pipe option, simple and effective.:smokin:

I hope this helps.

Steve

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Keep it cool.

Bruce,

The route Steve describes is basically the same for the HKS oil cooler except the oil lines feed through the front chassis members and then drop down to the oil cooler which is mounted behind the passenger side indicator, hence the hole next to the indicator. HKS also provide an air deflector which directs the air to the cooler behind the indicator. You then have to let the air out by drilling some holes in the wheel arch liners which I backed up with some mesh to stop stones flying in.

I looked into buying the parts but went the easy route in the end and bought HKS. It's a quality piece of kit.

I have got the fitting instructions if you want them to see what goes where although, obviously, they are in Japanese!

You should ensure that it's thermostatically controlled or you run the risk of your oil not getting up to the right operating temperature.

Good luck.

Peter.

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
Hi there,

I have to get an oil cooler fitted sooner or later, but I was wondering about the oil filter relocation. I've seen some relocated on the driver side wheel arch...surely it is not advisable to place a filer so high-up...right??

Peter...sorry could you explain what you mean by thermostaticaly controled?? I'm looking to fit the HKS one...

Cheers

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Keep it cool.

Hi Dino,

The HKS one comes with a sandwich plate which has a thermostatic valve which only diverts oil to the cooler when the oil reaches a certain temperature, 80 or 90C I think. So below that temp, the oil is not flowing through the cooler which allows it to heat up properly. The HKS cooler maintains the position of the filter but makes it a little easier to replace as it is now closer to the wheel arch. I think that the Trust one relocates the filter as you say but I don't think this is a problem as the oil is running at 4 - 5 bar anyway.

Cheers.

Peter.

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
Peter...thanks a lot for clearing that up!

Ian...well I don't live in Tokyo, so traffic is not that bad most of the time....the killer thing here are the bloody traffic lights!! The Japanese road system functions on the basis that drivers have no brains to make decisions, so they just place traffic lights at EVERY junction no matter what!!
I have my own little special roads for fun...so yes an oil cooler would be of some use...plus nobody sticks to the 100kmh limit on the expressway!!

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
So no real deal withn traffic cameras then?

I would of thought that the country streets a head on electric gizmos would be streets a head in laser gatso type thingys !!

Or has Japan got enough local taxes and sense that it doesn't need to rape the innoccent for 33mph in a 30 for 3 points and and £150.00??

·
Registered
931 Posts
Hi Bruce,

I was going to do the same after I had seen how easy it was after removing Guys Oil from his R33. I beleave that the lit was one that Abbey supply and I think you right in saying you could make the whole kit up and the brackets were nothing fancey either. I`v fitted the Trust kit and I think you`ll find they do 2 one that mounts between the IC and Air con rad and mine which goes in the O/S inner wing.

I`v attached a few pics for you to look at..

Hope its of some help

Richard

Attachments

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
Ian...oh yea sure there are a few gatsos, mainly on the motorways though. The thing here though is that the government is not out to make money from them as in the UK...where soon you'll have gatsos on your driveway checking to see the speed you take the car out the garage:D :D
On some of them there is a pre-speed check with messages on a digital board such as "you are exceeding the speed limit, slow down" before you actually get to the camera....they are trying to get people to actually keep their speed down not empty their wallets.
Plus I have a nice little gizmo radar thingie that keeps me well warned of both cameras and police speed traps:)

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks you for your help

Thanks!

some good infomation there I will get on with It!

Peter E if a copy could be made of the fitting instructions that may well be handy!

Richard cool pic's very helpfull thank you!

And thanks for the Nokia Logo it looks cool!

I will let every one know how I get on:cool:

Regards

Bruce

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jamie

cars washed and tucked up for bed:D

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
Bruce,

How did you get on with this in the end?

I am thinking about which oil cooler to go for because, as you said, the garages are charging an absolute fortune for the kits and fitting. I want to put mine in the same place as the UK cars (nearside front bumper). I am driving through very hot climates this summer so I need to make sure I have the best cooling possible.

What brand/kit did you buy in the end? I think I will aslo go for the thermostatically controlled unit. Did you fit it yourself?

I met a few manufacturers of typical cooling products and many said they would be able to provide me with an oil cooler kit of any size and set number of rows. I am currently looking at about £200.00 (inc vat) for the kit, MM are charging over £800.00!

So, what you all think?

Cem

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
Where to locate the coller

The pictures posted by Richard are similar to the installation I have. The take-off plate and location of the filter are as per his picture but the rad itself is sandwiched between the intercooler and the water radiator. The oil cooling rad is very deep and goes about one third/one quarter of the way across the front of the car - allowing enough air through to the water rad. This gives you a much bigger surface area for colling but compromises the other radiator.

You pay your money you make your choices.

Sorry - no pics though

John

1 - 17 of 17 Posts