GTR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
What about the PPG gearset?? Seem to remember folks going on about that. Although I cant remember if they were going on about it because it was good or bad :confused::confused:

TT

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I was under the understanding that the stock box fails due to the center plate twisting and allowing the gears to seperate. The input shaft twists not flex's?

I done 2 drag events on my os giken twin and broke the clutch. Overheated and warpped and even before that it snapped the center spring holder out of it.

I could try and be easy on third but this is the second time it has snapped with in a month and the first time was on the road and then it goes and breaks after rebuilding it with the os center plate within 2 weeks? WTF

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
Driver be smooth!! and a stronger clutch is not always the answer.

To go from 0-60mph in around 2 seconds (700-800hp GTR street car on a good track) can't happen without something slipping, either the tyres or the clutch must have some give.

We have data of 0-60 in the 1.8s and as best we can see there is very little wheelspin and very minimal rpm drop so the clutch is doing its job well.

Rob

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thats the thing the car did spin into 2nd and noramally spins into third but it didn't this time. Not running grippy tires what so ever .

I have heard that the ppg stuff still gives up with some abuse the same as os giken geatsets

·
Registered
84 Posts
i heard a few wispers maybe a year ago that there was a kit in developement to fit the turbo 400 to the gtr and retain the stock transfer case. was in aussie, maybe brisbane or sydney

·
Registered
897 Posts
Right you are all aware that i have snapped 3rd gear twice now within a month of rebuilding the gearbox with an os giken center plate which is meant to strenghten the box.

I am now pulling my hair out wondering what to do and it is massivly depressing me. Ever since i have put a OS giken R3C tripple plate clutch in with un sprung hub is has distroyed two gearbox's.

Do i go for the OS giken gearset and maybe break 3rd again? I have no faith in spending £2000+ for something that i dont trust. Do i rebuild with stock gears again and then be posting on here that i have destroyed it again? :)

Question is what gearbox's/gearsets are you using for say 600+bhp and with what clutch ? and have you had any failures?

I dont want it to happen again but i think this clutch will kill everything

The car will be a full weight R32 used for Hard drag racing and alot of track work next year.
The problem is your clutch, as you mentioned there is no damper and you are just putting a lot of shock load when changing gears!

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
**** it I'm going to rebuild it with stock gears again as i cant have it just sitting here for 2 years until i can afford the right gearbox. Hope to get it back on the road next week. I might just give up on the drag racing as i cant afford the gearbox issues. I am well into getting on more track days now.

Gutted all i wanted was a 10 but without spending money on the gearbox i dont have a chance. :(

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
Don't give up it is possible!!!

Here's a few skylines I've driven to 10s with totally stock old used gearboxes:

10.2s, 10.7s, and high 10s

YouTube - RIPS RB30 GTS4 10.2 @ 134mph www.ripsltd.com

YouTube - RIPS RB30 R33 GTR 10.7 stock head. www.ripsltd.com

YouTube - RIPS skyline stock internal motor 10 second 1/4

And one with a stock internal motor and a stock box starting the burnout in 4th:

YouTube - RIPS RB30 GTS4 burnout starting in 4th

My guess is its more your clutch and driving style thats giving you the problems.

Rob

**** it I'm going to rebuild it with stock gears again as i cant have it just sitting here for 2 years until i can afford the right gearbox. Hope to get it back on the road next week. I might just give up on the drag racing as i cant afford the gearbox issues. I am well into getting on more track days now.

Gutted all i wanted was a 10 but without spending money on the gearbox i dont have a chance. :(

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
What power where you running to get a 10.9 Rob ? was it a full weight car?

I know my clutch is the issue but trying to shift slow on the strip is hard.

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
The 10.9 car was about 550whp and 1600kg

The 10.7 car was fookn heavy, full weight 33 with lots of extras so about 1750 with me in it.

The 10.2 car was stock motor, stock box and about 620whp and 1500kg

If you listen to the 10.2 run you can hear I am not too slow into 3rd at all, its just how you go about it and some luck at those times.

Rob

·
Registered
386 Posts
Maybe once mass produced it would be around 1/2 but for a 1 off or initial production it would be well over 1/2 the price

A decent converter is usd1000 and its more than usd2000 to buy outright and build a 1500hp capable TH400, much more.

Then you have the adapter, drive shaft, shifter etc etc.

Or......If you can supply me a bullit proof TH400 with all the bits I need for a GTR for around usd5000, I'll take 20 sets please.:thumbsup:

Rob

Sure, a converter is going to run you anywhere from 800-1000 for a good OTS unit, but there are a few people who sell good T400's in the 2000 dollar range. Transking used to do a 1200 HP rated T400 for 2000 on the money without a core.

If you are halfway confident in your mechanical abilities you can just build it yourself. 34 element sprag, some good clutches, 300M int shaft, reverse manual valvebody with a T-brake. Apparently an auto RB-series bellhousing is pretty easily modded to work, take care of your small bits, and there you are. I don't have the foggiest what's involved in modding the T-case to boltup to the tail section of a T400, but I don't think it would take a lot of them sold before you've recoup'ed the cost of R&D.

Nothing wrong with home-building a tranny either. T400's are dead simple and the parts are easily available. I just finished building one along with my Dad for his roadrunner, with a 500" big block wedge and twin S368's I'm thinking it will stress the trans more than most RB30's will, in terms of torque :)

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
I have a TH400 in my RB30 240z and it was easy to adapt, we are talking about GTR 4WD TH400 here, a totally different kettle of fish, getting the box on the motor is the easy part, getting that transfere case on the rear of the TH400 I would imagine is not so easy.

Rob

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
getting the box on the motor is the easy part, getting that transfere case on the rear of the TH400 I would imagine is not so easy.

Rob
That coming from a fabrication genius like yourself Rob sounds a bit defeatist :chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:

Where is that Kiwi innovation when you need it :D

I'm sure if anyone can, YOU can...

TT

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have a TH400 in my RB30 240z and it was easy to adapt, we are talking about GTR 4WD TH400 here, a totally different kettle of fish, getting the box on the motor is the easy part, getting that transfere case on the rear of the TH400 I would imagine is not so easy.

Rob

Hence why someone like you should develop one, and start selling a ton of them. Look at how the TH400 kits for Supras sell like hotcakes, and they have a reliable 6-speed factory trans that will not break.

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
That coming from a fabrication genius like yourself Rob sounds a bit defeatist :chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:

Where is that Kiwi innovation when you need it :D

I'm sure if anyone can, YOU can...

TT
Lol, you guys crack me up. :bowdown1: If you read the rest of my post in context you'd note that I was commenting on the guy saying he could do T400's for GTRs for **** all, what he hadn't allowed for was the 4wd transfere case and I was mearly commenting that getting the box to the motor was the easy part, the transfere case would be alot more work.

If we had the time and the desire I'm sure we could come up with a suitable adapter just the same as many other places could if they had the time and the desire.

One thing I am not is a defeatist I assure you, lol.

Tell you what, send me a heap of money and I'll develop the kit and you can have the first unit to test and a share of the profits. :chuckle::chuckle:

PM me for my account info, lol.

Rob

·
Registered
386 Posts
Lol, you guys crack me up. :bowdown1: If you read the rest of my post in context you'd note that I was commenting on the guy saying he could do T400's for GTRs for **** all, what he hadn't allowed for was the 4wd transfere case and I was mearly commenting that getting the box to the motor was the easy part, the transfere case would be alot more work.

If we had the time and the desire I'm sure we could come up with a suitable adapter just the same as many other places could if they had the time and the desire.

One thing I am not is a defeatist I assure you, lol.

Tell you what, send me a heap of money and I'll develop the kit and you can have the first unit to test and a share of the profits. :chuckle::chuckle:

PM me for my account info, lol.

Rob
I think you may have misunderstood my post, I was trying to say that after the R&D costs were worked down on the T-case adaptor you could offer the whole kit at a reasonable price when you compare it to something like a sequential gearbox.

·
Registered
84 Posts

Rob
somehow i dont think more drive to the front wheels is going to to much to the 60 foot times either...... :)

21 - 40 of 50 Posts