GTR Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
I think you may have misunderstood my post, I was trying to say that after the R&D costs were worked down on the T-case adaptor you could offer the whole kit at a reasonable price when you compare it to something like a sequential gearbox.
I completely agree, I just don't think it would be quite as quick and easy as some here have made it out to be and I also don't think it would be possible to go through the whole R&D process and then supply a real good trans with reverse pattern, trans brake, flex plate, converter, adapter kit for bellhousing and transfere case, driveshafts, shifter, cable, oil cooler, electrics etc for the sort of money you 'kind of implied' it could be done for thats all, hence my offer to buy 20 kits from you if it could, lol (I was joking btw).

I do agree once sorted and done in reasonable numbers that they could cost alot less than a OS88 and flywheel/clutch, shifter, strain guage gearknob etc.

Rob

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
somehow i dont think more drive to the front wheels is going to to much to the 60 foot times either...... :)
Lol, we don't have traction problems off the line, well in fact we do :mad:, too much traction, thats the problem :chairshot

There's still plenty of grip around 50 meters out:
[/URL][/IMG]

Even in 2nd at about the 100 meter mark (note where the guy in the orange shirt on the left and the camera man and loud speaker are in the previous 2 pix), there's still plenty of grip, she's still up and luckily running straight:
[/[/IMG]

I'm sure a T400 with a variable pressure system to the transfere case could be made to work very well, its on my list of "to do's"

Rob

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Great pics there rob.

Well been a busy boy in the rain today. Decided to take the box out and strip it down to see what a mess it was in this time. Third gear and the layshaft are completly mashed again. Strange thing is there are more teeth left on the actual 3rd gear. So it looks like the layshaft gave up when i changed gear?

Managed to get all the parts cleaned up and ready for rebuilding. I'm at Abbey tomorrow to rebuild the gearset again with stock gears. I hope to be able to fully build it up again and get it back in the car tomorrow. It will be pushing it but I'm sure i can get it done? :shock:

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
What oil are you using in the box and are you warming the gears before you run or do you drive to the strip?

Rob

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Normally use redline oil in the box. I was running on normal( but still expensive) gearbox oil this time and was about to change to the expensice stuff but it went bang.

Yea i do drive to the strips. What would warming the gears do? and would a good burnout warm the gears is cold?

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
If you drive to the strip thats fine but if you don't, we put the cars in 2wd and raise the rear and warm up the box and rear diff by running gently in 3rd or 4th for a while, slight braking is good too (you should have your left foot over the brake pedal while you do this anyway in case the car moves)

Rob

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Well i was at Abbey today to get my gearset sorted out again. I tryed to do as much as possible by myself today and was doing well with the watching eye of Tony. He left me to go and sort out some parts and i started playing about. After about 5 mins of being on my own i touched the 1st and 2nd sncyro and the whole ****ing thing blew up and bit's went everythere. :lol: :lol:

So i was on the floor trying to find everything and i was on my knees. Got back up again and my jeans felt tight around my left knee. Rolled my jeans up and there was a rather large golf ball sized lump sticking out the side of my knee? :eek:

Abbey tryed to take me to hospital but i was not in any pain just shocked by th state of my knee. Chilled for abit and got on with trying to find all the gearbox parts i dropped. Managed to find them all and Tony put right what i ****ed up. :lol: :lol: Cheers mate.

So now the gearset is all built up again and ready for me to build the gearbox up.

Drove home went to hospital and they said i have MAID's knee which is due to me being on my knees too much. :lol: :lol: The fluid has built up and popped out the side making that funky lump.

So i rang Hannah to come and pick me up but she couldn't get out of work so i walked 2 miles to the nearest pub and started on the pear cider. :lol: Sitting there on my own with a drink and a fag. Loved it :D Han turned up and i convinced her to stay for a drink and a meal. So know i have had plenty to drink and a slap up meal. Heaven :D :D

Hope to build the box up and install it tomorrow pending on the shaaged knee. :lol:

Once again thanks to Abbey motorsport and Tony for helping my ot again. They have stocked up on third geat and layshafts for me. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Madden,
Have a good look at your clutch/flywheel combo.
Sounds to me like a heavy flywheel (high rotational inertia) plus a clutch that does not allow slip, is causing massive stress during gear change.
Try lightening the flywheel, which will allow the engine revs to decay more during gear changes, and will have less energy stored in it.
That should make your 3rd gear last much longer.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Well built it all up today and chucked it in. ALL DONE :lol:

Went out to get some go go juice and pump the tires up and it was rude not to give it a blast. Still pulls like a train and 3rd seems fine on the road. Taking it easy on the gear change into 3rd but the only problem is i lose all boost and have to wait for it to build up again. I will lose so much time on the strip changing slow but hopefully the cams and another remap will make it a little better. I'm not running any bov's so i might sort out my blitz bov's and see it it works.

I know its the clutch that killing it as since i have installed the OS giken r3c its destroyed 2 sets of gears. It doesnt let any slip when you dump it. There isnt much of the flywheel that came with it anyway:) So it cant really be lightened anymore.

Lets see how long this one last's? :)

41 - 50 of 50 Posts