GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having just moved house to what I thought was the perfect place - garden for the dog, decent size kitchen and finally the dream of having a double garage has become reality :), all within the M25 (miracle find), it's taken precisely ten seconds to find that, as is typical with my life, there is a long, thick, black, curly pube deeply engrained in the soap bar.

On only the second time putting the car away in the garage (down a bit of an alleyway out the back of the house), the neighbour is "unhappy" with how loud the car is. We've just had a lengthy discussion where I did my best to explain that I thought the HKS "silent" exhaust would be at least semi-quiet, but no, and that many cars are much worse. The guy is actually really nice, but clearly making his point. The problem is made all the worse by the fact that the only time I ever drive the car "properly" is late at night, and he is yet to find this out.

I have thought about pushing the car in and out of the alleyway, but it's pretty much a dirt track, and the car is already scraping. Laying a new surface would be nice, but obviously expensive and difficult, and I'm only likely to have the place for a year so not worth it.

Condering "silent" must either be a relative term (relative to a bomb repeatedly detonating an inch from your ear), or a mistranslation in the HKS catalogue, is there anything that can be done to shut the car up for the first and last 20 odd metres of each journey? Any ideas considered at this point. Answers on a postcard please.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
I had this issue a couple of years ago and my wife got quite stressed about it so I sold my gtr, she then felt bad and finally realised that our neighbours make noise as well when they shout their cats in at night which slowly pissed her off. Now I drive another gtr and I couldn't give a rats arse about my neighbours. Just do your best not to rev it to much pulling in and out of where you stay

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Already have a sports cat in there, but suppose a silenced decat might be an option.

Random question - does anyone have a skyline and think it's quiet? I know there are much louder cars than mine, but it's still nowhere near being able to be called "quiet", relative to a BMW M3 for example.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TTJUDGE - I'm thinking along the same lines - if I can flatten out the surface on the way to the garage so I don't scrape, I could coast it in there more easily. Such an awkward bit of manoeuvring needed though, I don't think it's going to be easy.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
I had my exhaust modified so the tip was angled down which made a big difference to thr echo but it was still loud

·
Registered
61 Posts
dam neighbour !!!! ;-) ... i've got an old fashion hks dual dragger and it's nearly as quiet on idle and low revs as the oem one is .

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I used a exhaust valve and to be honest it made no noticable difference, a silenced decat does help along with a what suppose to be a quiet exhaust

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Lots of people use apple silencers to calm their beasts down.
Although you will need to get it welded on.
Pretty sure they are available up to 3.5".
But if it was me then my neighbor would just have to learn to live with it. If someone has a problem with a car just cruising past their house then they have some serious issues...

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
He'll probably never be happy with its noise level whatever you do with it. Drive it as quietly as you can and don't leave it idling for long periods and just ignore him.

Cheers
Stu

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the ideas.
I agree it's a bit off considering I'm switching the engine off as fast as I can and trying not to rev the car. Have to get over the curb without scraping (or more to the point, gently because it almost always scrapes), and then gently down the "dirt track alleyway" because it scrapes again, but I'm not exactly making excessive noise.

Being new to the area I just don't want to annoy the neighbours from day 1, lol.

The bung sounds like the easiest/least permanent option, but I can't seem to find one over about 2" in diameter (for washing bikes) - where can I get a larger one from?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
720 Posts
try japspeed or one of the other traders they may sell the bungs.with regard to your neighbour, having just moved there you obviously don't want to upset them,but I'm afraid its already happened,because he will now focus on the noise no matter what you do its human nature,even though he may want to not focus on it,he will actually focus more on it,the best way to deal with this is politely explain to your neighbour that its a performance car and is slightly louder than the normal car,but you will do your best not to rev it,apart from that he will just have to bite the bullit and live with it.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I've got a silent hi-power, and it's a little bit noisy on a cold start but purrs like a baby when warm.

Your neighbours will have to deal with it. You bought the house not them. You can't get an asbo for a "silent" exhaust as it's labelled.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I had a HKS Priest system which wasn't too loud when the engine was warm but still made a bellow at cold Idle rpms.

Try sourcing a stock exhaust with a de-cat silencer, I later had this on my old R33 - its fairly quiet for a performance car and not so attention seeking when the engine is cold.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would go with a stock exhaust but I'm pretty sure my 620-soon-to-be-680-ish-bhp would take a hefty tumble :(

In comparison to some Skylines, mine is quiet, but it's still "noticeably loud" if that makes sense. As long as other people with HKS Silent exhausts are having the same experience, at least I know it's not just me. Out of interest, how much noise are people getting in the cabin going along?

I don't know why I'm so paranoid - went to see a guy about an engine, and I found his house by following the noise, no exaggeration. Mine is NOTHING like that.

·
Registered
871 Posts
If the windows are up you get a feint note on idle, I used to have a super stagger on my 14 an that was loud, now I feel mines dam quiet for what it is! Compared to the other supercars round my way!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts