GTR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has nothing to do with Skylines but I need some help with my PC.

A few weeks ago my PC somehow managed to aquire a VIRUS.
Ity was called '[email protected]'.It infected a file called 'kdll.dll' which I had to eraseas instructed by Mr.Norton!
I now need to replace it but can't find it on my Windows '98 SE disc.

HELP.

Cheers:(

·
Registered
211 Posts
You don't need to replace it.
Look for Kdll.dll, HKSdll.dll (?), kern32.exe or kernel32.exe (not kernel32.dll!!).
You also have to check you registry for a runonce command which issues kernel32.exe and in the win.ini there can also be a sentence which calls for this file.
When you look at mcaffee or NAI there is a good explanaition how to remove the virus.
Kdll.dll is some kind of keybourd keystroke logger and is seems to be capable of sending the keystrokes somewhere, If you've entered passwords they can be in there.
One other thing, it's always handy to copy the Win98 directory from the installer CD to your hard drive.
Some people install it in C:\windows\ptions\cabs but just in the root is ok also.
Its only 48 MB and you can point to it whenever you need the CD.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Sorry, I meant Keyboard and the directory is called C:\windows\options\cabs.
If you use a different drive then you have to change C to whatever of course.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
goto

Paul,
cor did you get all that cos i dident,,
When i had a virus on my computer i went to www.symantec.com and just followed the instructions and it sorts everything out for you ,only takes 5 mins
flight commander Gary:D

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CHEERS

Cheers Chaps.

I have gotten rid of my virus and I just need to replace the file it infected.I have searched the Windows 98 disc for the files that you advised John but the search came out blank.However when I typed in HKSdll.dll my PC when to Scramble boost:D .

That was a subtle one John.LOL

HELP

·
Registered
211 Posts
Forgive me my bad English but what I meant was that you have to search your harddrive for these files.
To be more specific, they are in the Windows\system directory
All of these files are part of this "badtrans" virus but not all of them at once.
There are a few versions.
All of these files can be deleted and do not need to be replaced.

Here's more info,

http://vil.mcafee.com/dispVirus.asp?virus_k=99069&

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts