GTR Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres one for all you computer wizz's, i appear to have some sort of virus on my laptop that won't let me open outlook express aswell as a number of other programs. It just comes up with 'can't find lwtv.exe' or summit like that.
Ive just tried downloading some anti virus software but it won't let me open them either!!!!

HELP!.... please!

Luke

·
Registered
253 Posts
I dont know if you still can but at MacAffee or Dr Sololomans or the other one where it will scan and clean while on line for free as a trial.

Good luck

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Also, do a websearch for AVG anti-virus.

I use it on my PC and it's top-notch. I _think_ they have an online scanning utility too...

Hope you get it sorted.

Daz

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It comes up a little box saying 'program not found'. In it it says 'Windows cannot find ltwv".exe.' and then 'this program is needed for opening files type application' and I have the oppertunity to search for it via a 'locate' button.... make any sense???
Please help I have some e-mails about cars waiting and it's realy starting to pi55 me off!

Luke

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
My mates dad had a similar problem - it kept saying files were missing and things wouldn't work - turned out to be a virus had "trapped" them all.

He downloaded a different anti-virus program, ran it, and it cleaned it all up - releasing the files.

Luke - here's a link to the anti-virus software i use - it's free and they give regular free updates....

http://www.grisoft.com/html/us_index.htm

Additionally, try this website (just found it), there is an online scan option as one of the links highlighted in red on the left of the screen...

http://housecall.antivirus.com/

Hope this all helps mate.
Daz

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
poxy virus

Cheers Daz, i'll have a go but I did try downloading some earlyier and they downloaded but wouldn't open and came up with said message.

Luke

·
Registered
380 Posts
Virus

Sounds like you have a Virus called Worm clez or clez worm the only way i got rid of it was to wipe the hard drive and start again you cant load anti virus software on to you computer once worm clez is in.....

Sorry mate.

Barryf

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DOH!

Well thanks for informing me Barry... just wish that wasn't the case, I hate sodding computers!

Luke

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Saw on the AVG / Grisoft site for the one i use that it can remove these viruses. Not sure about the online one i said to try - but it's worth a go.

If in doubt, sometimes these anti-virus software packages contain a bootable disc that allows the PC to boot to the A; drive and allow you to execute the anti-virus software from there. Would be worth a try if you have no luck with the other bits.

It's gotta be better than wiping the drive !

Also, does your Internet Service Provider allow you to access your emails online ? Alot of them do these days as people want to access their email from all over the world...so, you could always look into that - at least you can then access your mail.

Daz

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sorta done it but not

Daz,

Just used the second link you sent me and it found 200 odd corrupted files out of 11000 odd but couldn't delete or clean some (nimda klez worm i think like Barry said) but am able to access files now but will have a go with some more software.

Cheers guys and keep the advice coming.

Luke

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Luke,

Once you are able to access the files, download the other virus remover i gave you the link for.

This link will allow you to access the free download "AVG Anti-Virus" software and then install it (it'll probably require a reboot). Once installed, it'll do a bootup virus check and then you can run a full system virus check - i'm pretty sure it will clean all of the files for you.

Good luck...let us know how you get on.
Daz

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Virus

Cheers Dave, it looks like it may have gone as I ended up using god knows how many cleaners etc and now when I check for em nothing comes up. Fingers crossed but thanks for the help everyone!

Luke

1 - 16 of 16 Posts