GTR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently living in japan and i want to take my car back to the states can anyone tell me what i need to put on my car?

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
After Motorex,

Get every mod you can afford fitted to it whilst you are still in Japan.
I was looking through a US modifying mag the other day and GTR parts are harder to source in America than a virgin in a brothel.

I was reading about the Motorex R34 which is fairly tuned, looked good.

best of luck.
Steve

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Actually Motorex can only certify stock or fairly stock GTR for street use. Every GTR needs to go thru testing at the EPA (environment protestion agency), so the more the car is modified, the more difficult it is to make it pass the test. What I mean by fairly stock is maybe just with a aftermarket air filter, cat back exhaust or over sized intercooler. If the car is heavily modified, then it bacially have to be put back to stock to pass the test.

I agree parts for GTR are way cheaper in Japan, so the best way is to buy all the parts, wait until the car is certified for street use, then go put all the parts on it.

Just my 2 cents.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
that would make sense,

Just out of curiosity Skyline seem to be very expensive in the us is the vehicle testing very involved or are you guys just lucky..?

Are the import costs incredibly high ?

Sorry for all of the questions but I am curious as to how they justify used R34 prices for 33's

best regards
Steve

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Hi steve,

It is allright, I will answer any question you have as best as I can.

The reason Motorex charged such a high price for GTRs are because they spend a hugh amount of money to go thru all the required procedure to make the GTR street legal. If you know what they have went thru, you would think their prices is a bargain. A lot of people criticize Motorex of the prices they charged, but look at it this way, if it isn't for them, no one would have a street legal GTR in the US. If anyone wants to save money, just wait for the R35 GTR comes out here in a few year as an Infiniti, I am pretty sure it would be a completely different car compare to the R34 GTR though. Not to mention it will probably be a water down version of the Japanese model. I mean, how could anyone expect to drive a car that is imported privately for cheap? Actually UK pay the same amount for their GTR and their GTR are offically imported by Nissan.

From what I understand, all the testing required are not very involved, but it is VERY time consuming and a lot of hassle.

If you think about what you have to do personally to get a GTR over to the US, all the time and money you spend, it is probably cheaper to have Motorex do all the work for you.

I hope I answered all your questions.

Jeff

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Jeff I understanad your point but keep in mind that the official UK GTRs get a few other things on top of the normal J specs:

Oil cooler
Gearbox oil cooler
Diff oil cooler
Mph speedo
MFD upgrade
Connoly leather interior
3 year warranty

Add these up and your'll be surprised at the extra costs!! Just the conolly leather was over 1 milion yen from Nismo when they had it on sale a year back!!:eek:

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Cheers

Thanks for your reply, but I was wondering what would I have to do to make my car road legal for US streets ?

I am just thinking about a possible venture here....

By the way I am not located in the US as you can see from the details.

cheers
Steve

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Dino, I didn't know the UK version of the GTR have that much extra things on them, I just know about the leather interior and the MFD upgrade. Yes I agree all those things cost a lot of money.

SteveC:

Your best bet is to contact Motorex on all the details, as I don't want to make Motorex mad at me for telling you what I know. It is definitely not impossible to do all the things Motorex does, but I can be sure it is WAY cheaper to have Motorex do the work for you.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Dino,

I am still in Malaysia right now, I will be in Japan this Thursday. The Suzuka event is this weekend. I will send you some pictures when I get back to the US in 2 weeks.

Jeff

1 - 11 of 11 Posts