GTR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After months (years?!) of waiting (im)patiently I picked up my Gun Metallic Premium Edition R35 today... Given all of my moaning over the past few weeks, and the fact that reports from those of you who have gone before me are just about all that has kept me sane(!), then I guess I should do a quick write-up before I disappear to bed. So here goes...

I arrived at Marshall's at 8:15 (minor traffic delays preventing me from getting there as doors opened!) and, as I parked up my dirty black Golf hire car, I could see my car sitting on the front next to Marshall's UMS demonstrator. I had it detailed yesterday (in the Marshall's workshop) by Stuart at Ultimate detail... money well spent given the gleaming car that sat in front of me. Cue immediate cheesy grin, as I leapt out of the Golf and walked around my new car - it looked immaculate.

Having taken a quick video, and a couple of pics, I headed into the showroom to meet Phil and get the keys. Phil took me through a well-organised and informative handover - between payment, warranty/service/running-in discussions - plus a detailed review of key features / equipment - it took a good hour before I got to start the car up and pull away. Phil was even good enough to travel to the hire car outfit and drop the Golf off (even though I was hazy on details, and we ended up doing a tour of East Cambridge - apologies Phil!). I dropped him back at Marshall's, where he fitted mats and waved me on my way, with a promise to call in a few days and report feedback.

From Cambridge I headed to meetings in Leamington Spa, and the Stratford-upon-Avon, before driving home to Essex in the evening; a great way to do the first 300 miles at below 3,500 rpm.

First impressions? Epic. Awesome. Heroic.

The car is already exceeding my expectations, and GTR Academy memories, and it hurts to be sitting here at the PC rather than driving right now... but with the first 300 miles almost complete, I'm now looking at the next 'sprited but smooth' 300 miles and figure these are probably better done in daylight... at least until I get used to that addictive power delivery.

Speaking of which, even keeping below 3,500 rpm (almost all the time!) it can pull like a tug boat, with the torque surging in from below 2,000. Amazing. The next few days are going to be a whole lot of fun :)

LOTS of attention on the motorways - 1 in 2 drivers rubbernecking to see what they had just passed (I kept to a sensible 70), and thumbs up from a few - a Subaru Forrester, a Focus RS (old shape) and a DB9 who insisted in driving alongside for half a mile so he could admire all the angles! I guess I'm going to have to get used to the attention.... thankfully no idiotic driving to deal with, so at the moment it's all good.

The plan now is to fit the Zele light kit at the weekend and do the next 300 miles, then figure out how quickly I can do the last 600 driving 'very enthusiastically' (I think that was the phrase), given my normal business drives are motorway based... I'm sure I will figure something out.

Thanks to everyone here who made the wait (just about) bearable - I'm now a fully fledged GTROC member too, so I look forward to meeting some of you in due course.

·
Premium Member
7,640 Posts
So happy for you buddy.

It only takes 5 minutes in the car to forget all the craziness we put up with before delivery.

Enjoy every minute of it, I know I do!

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Nice write-up Guy - congrats on realising the dream.

All this waiting is doing my head in - I hope the Nav and supporting functions are worth the LONG WAIT!

D

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys - off to get a QD spray to remove my new fly collection :)

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
Guy, congrats on the new arrival, the cars looks awesome m8 (not as good as red) but awesome all the same. Nice write up.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Picked mine up as well yesterday :thumbsup:

250 miles including a drive over the Humber Bridge at sunset.....like Charlie says, as soon as you get in your car & drive away, all the crap with the ordering process soon gets forgotten!!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Enjoyed your write up - :thumbsup: Car looks very "Stealthy" ! I Like
Nas - thanks. I'm planning to get arty with the camera over the weekend and will put an album together & stick the results in the gallery section...

·
Registered
13 Posts
picked up my Gun Metallic Black edition today and i would agree with everything mentioned above about the car, it is epic!!!! i've tried going home and relaxing 3 times now and after 5 mins of looking out of my front room window at the car i have to go out and take it for another spin!!! loads of attention so far including stealing the spot light from a brand new lambo sitting next to me at some traffic lights!! all of the waiting has well and truly been worth it and some...also a quick note on my HPC (motorline) Phil and the team were incredible...hlepful informative and very welcoming, well done lads!

just need to book Alex at serious performance to give it a proper detail and get the Zele light kit fitted and i will be even happier (if that is possible!)

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
picked up my Gun Metallic Black edition today and i would agree with everything mentioned above about the car, it is epic!!!! i've tried going home and relaxing 3 times now and after 5 mins of looking out of my front room window at the car i have to go out and take it for another spin!!! loads of attention so far including stealing the spot light from a brand new lambo sitting next to me at some traffic lights!! all of the waiting has well and truly been worth it and some...also a quick note on my HPC (motorline) Phil and the team were incredible...hlepful informative and very welcoming, well done lads!

just need to book Alex at serious performance to give it a proper detail and get the Zele light kit fitted and i will be even happier (if that is possible!)
congrats and enjoy the car

Ed

·
Registered
28 Posts
After months (years?!) of waiting (im)patiently I picked up my Gun Metallic Premium Edition R35 today... . I had it detailed yesterday (in the Marshall's workshop) by Stuart at Ultimate detail... money well spent given the gleaming car that sat in front of me.
Thats a first, the only time i have ever heard of somebody paying to have a brand new car detailed prior to delivery. What made you do this and what did it cost?

Mine was brand spanking from the dealer and immaculately prepared

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thats a first, the only time i have ever heard of somebody paying to have a brand new car detailed prior to delivery. What made you do this and what did it cost?

Mine was brand spanking from the dealer and immaculately prepared
I was considering the Supaguard treatment, but have had it on 3 previous (company) cars and been unimpressed each time. Having read a lot about protection detailing (most of it on here!) I thought I would save a few quid and get a proper detail job done...

I had originally intended to follow many GTROC recommendations and use Alex (Serious Performance), but he is tied up with other work at present, so I asked around and Stuart at Ultimate Detail was recommended. The work cost £200 (less than half the Supaguard fee), took 5 hours (according to Marshall's) and involved quite a few... in Stuart's words:
  • Protection vinyl wraps removed prior to any work starting
  • Visual inspection for damage or marks - none sighted
  • Vehicle rinsed with warm water
  • Fully degreased with a citrus degreaser
  • Washed with lambs wool wash mitt using Autoglym bodywork shampoo & conditioner
  • Dried using microfibre drying towels
  • Inspected again
  • Clay bar to vehicle to remove contaminants from bodywork - 1 hour taken and was dirtier than expected
  • Washed again and dried
  • Paint thickness gauge used to test the quality of the paint depth and check for signs of any repair work. Nothing to report except for healthy readings approx. 175 microns. This was done for my peace of mind (and I guess yours too). Not normally part of the protection detail.
  • 2 coats of Autoglym Super Glym Polish applied to bodywork. First coat left to cure for approx 40 minutes.
  • Buffed off polish ready for the Pre-wax cleanser - Swissvax Cleaner Fluid
  • Applied Swissvax Zuffenhausen wax. Applied by hand and left to cure for 30 minutes before applying 2nd coat of Swissvax
  • All wheel arches, door seals and alloy wheels were polish and coated with Swissvax
  • All glass on the outside was given a treatment of Swissvax
  • Tailpipes polished and Swissvax'd
  • Quick cup of tea and stood back to admire
  • Done

The effect was superb - I should have some pics to post soon - and having cleaned it today, where the dirt just wiped off with no effort at all, it was well worth the money IMHO.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Jesus, how did all that take 5 hours and only cost £200!

I'll be picking mine up in the middle of winter (Jan - apparently) and imagine the roads will be all gritted, salty and dirty, so may well be a good idea for myself. Have a feeling its going to be summer before I finish running the car in, that or I wait for a dry couple of days and blitz it all. Thanks for the heads up on ultimate detail.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jesus, how did all that take 5 hours and only cost £200!
Rob

Fair question - I thought it was a pretty good deal (OK, a steal!)... so I asked Stuart... he said I had snuck in before he had really evaluated the work involved in a new GTR, and as a result I ended up with a bit of a bargain :)

He is now quoting - for the same job - £259... but has agreed to reduce this to £239 for GTROC members. I should declare that I have no commercial interest in his business at all - I'm just an impressed customer... and I would still have been delighted in the results I got if I had paid £40 more.

Stuart liked the car so much that he has put a piece up about it on his website - if you're interested in the results you can see better pictures there...

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1 - 17 of 17 Posts