1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when you get time go to your gtr and pull the plug on one of your afm's
turn the engine on and try to rev it,,
you will find that it wont rev past 3000
now my problem is that it does this somtimes when iam driving it, obviously with all afm's connected, do you think i have a bad connection or bad afm's:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Sometimes (especially on the fords) I remove the airmass meter and clean it with electrical or brake cleaner, You would be surprised at not only how much crap gets on there, but also how much difference it can make.

You do have to be rather careful though :)

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
if you check out skylines australia it has a tutorial on how to repair the conector inside the afm which usually over time comes apart, easy to do, took me bout 1/2 hour then left overnight for silicone to harden fitted next morning before work, solved problem.

·
Registered
119 Posts
as mava says, most common fault with afm's is dry solder join. its fairly easy to repair these and is deffo worth a go before spending £300 on new one, if you have a apexi ecu with commander or any other monitoring device you can tell which if any is faulty. Just check the voltage readings when it is playing up.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
as mava says, most common fault with afm's is dry solder join. its fairly easy to repair these and is deffo worth a go before spending £300 on new one, if you have a apexi ecu with commander or any other monitoring device you can tell which if any is faulty. Just check the voltage readings when it is playing up.
What should the voltage reading be then? Should they both read identical, and if so what reading (at idle)?

·
Registered
51 Posts
if you check out skylines australia it has a tutorial on how to repair the conector inside the afm which usually over time comes apart, easy to do, took me bout 1/2 hour then left overnight for silicone to harden fitted next morning before work, solved problem.
I have the same problem and have searched their forum for the last hour for that Tutorial any chance of a link please?

·
Registered
119 Posts
What should the voltage reading be then? Should they both read identical, and if so what reading (at idle)?
With mine voltage at idle is 0.9v0lts and to a tenth of a volt they read the same unless you have restrictive flow to one of the afm's, basically the more air the higher the voltage would read, if one was to be faulty it would show either 0volt or 5volt open or closed circuit thus not correctly reading air flow and making the car run bad/miss almost as if intercooler pipe came off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts