GTR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I was just wondering if anyone else had had a problem with engine cutting out and hesitant acceleration after filling up with Shell Optimax. Basically after I put some in the other day my car has started to cut out when pulling up in traffic and only starting after giving it some revs to hold an idle. Also when I accelerate from about 50mph the car lurches forward then stops likes its on a big rubber band then lurches forward again. When I tried full acceleration as it came on boost a sort of 'farting' noise seemed to come from under the car so I backed off straight away. When I tried again it didn't do it. Someone mentioned detonation was the 'farting' noise so now I'm really worried I've screwed the engine. It seems to run ok still when it holds the idle so I'm hoping not.....

I'm going to run the tank dry with the boost controller off then change the plugs and fuel filter. Anyone experienced this after using Optimax?

Thanks

·
Registered
372 Posts
the farting noise could be a boost leak.the car will run a bit strange with a boost leak aswell you should have a good look at all your boost pipes and check all the clips are still in place
is the car still getting the same readings on the boost gauge?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll check that thanks mate. I remember before when I lost all power and it cut out only to find one of the boost pipes had come off. I couldn't see anything immediately obvious this time and it seems to be an intermittant fault which is why I thought dirty fuel might be causing a blockage. I have the boost turned off until this tank of fuel is empty because of the redex in it after advise from Tweenie just in case the noise was detonation. I wish I knew not to use redex earlier and especialy not to use boost if I do.

As far as I remember it did seem to come on boost ok up untill about 1.08bar but I have seen 1.2bar before so you could be right.... Although it made the noise twice and then seemed to be ok as if it cleared itself. Its booked in for Tweenie to have a look next Friday as he said it could also be the ignition amplifier but I've got to run the tank dry first and try Tesco 99octane to flush it through. I have over half a tank so thats a lot of driving with no turbos! :bawling:

:thumbsup:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts