GTR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there folks,

I've been looking around the forum for quite a while now, but have only registered today, and i must say its one of the best run enthusiasts forums i have seen.

Now onto the problem, specifically for the R32GTR

Basically, its used as a fast road car, however, taken on track probably 4-6 times a year at different venues around the UK (so a varience in tracks....but prob halve at Cadwell Park).

In this time, the car has performed faultlessly from a drivetrain point of view, but not on the brake side.

Its got braided hoses,change the oil regulary, and used various manufacturers pads on the standard discs, but nothing seems to work very well....and after say 4 laps of hard abuse, the brakes have had it.....fading problems.
I also noticed its gone through a few pairs of discs as they have distorted under really hard use.

So what are the options?

Is there a decent brake upgrade kit to go with the standard calipers?....and again with a bigger brake conversion?

Replace the the set-up with the Brembo R34GTR units?

And, what brake problems have other people suffered from on/after track days etc?

·
Registered
597 Posts
hi

the r33/r34 brembos are a good road upgrade but will fade on track, best to bite bullet if you do track days and get big brakes, all the big brands do them with prices to match or there are the lesser known brands like K-sport etc, some say good, some say not.

Personally, i'm saving for Stoptechs (another year or 2 should do it!), do a search both on here and the net.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi there,

thanks for the reply, so do the r33 and r34 gtr discs fit straight onto the r32?
is the only mod to run these model brakes the bolt hole differance to fit the calipers from those models?

I think an upgrade kit is the way to go....just discs and pads i think...what 2 piece disc upgrade kits are there on the market to go with the standard calipers....anyone know?

·
Registered
597 Posts
the black brembos differ from the gold brembos in colour and diff. size fix bolts i think (apart from the bigger rear discs on some r34 gtr), blacks are same and gold are 14mm?. Some good post on subject + photos.

i think someone is doing a larger disc kit, but factor in discs + pads and its going to be a few hundred quid and you're pushing price of S/H brembos + you can sell originals.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmmmm.....thats a great thread, very interesting.

Now, i wonder if there are any decent 2 piece disc upgrade kits available for the skyline.

I've used the Performance Frictions 2 piece upgrades on a previous EVO 5, they were amazing......you really did'nt need a complete big brake upgrade....the set-up from Performance Friction was a complete 2 piece floating disc assembly and their own pads, totally eliminated any warpage on and off track.

·
Banned
146 Posts
Buy yourself a set of R33/34 Brembos, a set of good quality disks and Peformance friction pads. Should work really well.

Project Mu do a 2 peice front disk as do DBA

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers, i've no idea where i would get Project Mu disc's from.....know any distirbutors?

Do Performance Friction do pads in r34 fitment do you know?

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I'll have a complete set of front and rear Brembo's available in around 3 weeks if you're interested. I'm in Japan, so would need to ship with EMS.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
I'll have a complete set of front and rear Brembo's available in around 3 weeks if you're interested. I'm in Japan, so would need to ship with EMS.
So - car is ready in about 2 weeks then Nick ?
(Sorry for small hijack)

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
So - car is ready in about 2 weeks then Nick ?
(Sorry for small hijack)
They said a month, which is a week on Sunday. I'll get in touch with them next week to confirm, check everything is on schedule.:)

I'm guessing it will take me around a week to run in the engine, so hopefully I'll be back the following weekend to have the brakes fitted.:squintdan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts