GTR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just got myself an R32 GTR today. I've wanted one for months, and WOW, am I impressed!!! I bought the car privately, from Macclesfield, and the 170 mile drive home seemed to end too soon!!

My querie concerns the fact that the HICAS light comes on??

I knew this when I bought the car, and have paperwork from Abbey and Middlehurst , stating that everything still works, even though the light is on???

Does anyone have any ideas that I can look into? I would also like to know if there is any type of manual available for this car?

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Hicas light

One idea. Mine did it at the weekend. When I turned the ignition off and on the light stayed off. I was advised to check level of the pwer steering fluid in the engine bay as it feeds from there.
If it is not this, there is a diagnostic check you can do (not simple) so I cannot advise at the moment.
Durzel will probably remember the link to the skyline manual that will have the check in it!
Dave

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Another thing to check would be if there is a speed jumper speedo conversion fitted to the speedo. this can make the hicass light come on if it is wired incorrectly.

/Steve

ps well done on the new motor !!

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Nigel, where in south Wales are you? my Hicas light came on a while back, but has been ok since and no probs..Ian from Hiteq will be at Billing on Sunday if anyone wants to collar him!

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
and Abbey Motorsport are there!
Come to JAE and get your car fixed!
Steve, I would have thought that a speedo conversion would not affect it as it is cable driven on the R32 as opposed to electronic on the R33/R34?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Have had loads of issues with my HICAS.

You can put the HICAS in a self-diagnosis mode which will tell you if any of the sensors are not working..... I can supply the details of how to do this, if you want.

The HICAS system is very sensitive to voltage drops, what caused all the grief with my HICAS was a bad connection to the battery.

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Spot on gtr-boy.
I have spoken to Rod Bell today and he said that the hicas warning may not be a problem. A diagnostic should tell if there was a problem but it could be caused by......
power steering fluid low
steering sensor playing up
voltage drop (e.g. bad battery connection)
or even you have not moved the steering wheel for some time and it is confused as to why the wheels are moving but the steering is not!
Diagnostic check is only way to know for sure!
Dave
p.s. changed earlier post as I was told fluid in boot but that is attesa and hicas uses fluid under bonnet!

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, what an amazing response!!!! I can't believe how good this Forum is!!! I've bearly had the car for 24hrs, and all those replies already.....Thanx

I will defenitely check all the suggested remedies, but one good suggestion was about the steering not being altered with the wheels turning......very interesting......it seems to happen on the Motorway rather than windey roads.

I would love details of the diagnostic check please gtr-boy, and also details of the link to "The manual" that was mentioned. I am a home mechanic, who has rebuilt various engines, and indeed cars, so fully intend to look after my Skyline myself, rather than pay huge hourly rates.:D

S

·
0 Posts
Steering Wheel Alignment

Cant comment on GTR32's but on the 300zx if the steering wheel is not centered on the shaft this can throw up the HICAS light.

I believe this is due to the HICAS calibrating itself using sensors one of which is on the steering wheel rack.

The reason (possibly) that the HICAS light only comes on on motorways is the ECU thinks that you are continually steering even though you are going basically in a straight line.

It assumes there is a problem and shuts down the HICAS.

This is what happens on the 300zx anyway and I would imagine its similar on the R32 (the early 300zx has mechanical HICAS)

This could be the why the problem exhibits itself on motorways.

If the diag is anything like the 300zx its a bugger to access!

Good luck

·
Registered
83 Posts
Here we go......

Procedure:

1. Ignition switch 'off' manual tranny in neutral or A/T in 'P'

2. Start the engine

3. Within 10 seconds after turning the key to 'ON', start the engine, turn steering wheel from left to right 20 degrees from neutral 5 times or more times & pump the brakes 5 times. Then press the brake pedal again to enter the test mode.

4. Turning the steering wheel left or right past 20 degrees from neutral will cause the rear wheels to turn slightly (~1 degree) (1.).

5. Drive the car forward 15 feet under 9mph to enter the full diagnostic mode.

6. The HICAS dash light will flash a code indicating any problems. Long flash is first digit, short flash is 2nd digit.

7. Diagnostic mode is exited when: ignition is turned off, vehicle speed exceeds 9mph, or diagnostic has operated for 5 minutes.

HICAS light codes for '90-'93:

1. HICAS solenoid R.H.
2. HICAS solenoid L.H.
3. Cut-off valve
4. Power Steering solenoid
5. Vehicle Speed sensor
6. Steering angle sensor
7. Steering Neutral positon sensor
8. A/T: Parking Brake Sensor M/T: Clutch sensor
9. A/T: Inhibitor sensor M/T: Neutral sensor

HICAS light codes for '94-'99:

11. HICAS control unit