GTR Forum banner

hicas light power loss

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Brentar976 
#1 ·
Hi everyone .
I have a rather disturbing issue with my hicas, the light flickers on and off completely randomly. however when the light comes on the steering goes heavy, the power fluctuates so much that the radio and boost controller turn on and off and engine looses power as if it had lost fuel or spark so its quite worrying could anyone please help.
Many thanks pete

#5 ·
Thanks guys we had a thought it might be something along these lines .
Iam going to take the battery and charging system tester home from work tonight and see if there is anything going on there.
Thanks for answers it's always handy to ask on here as so many people have had issues and resolved them.
Hope it is something like this . If not is there a way to turn the hicas off ie just pull a fuse to see if the problem stoped??? The hicas is locked out anyways so dnt really need it lol.
Many thanks pete

#6 ·
I've had something similar, in my case the light came on randomly and the steering went heavy, but the engine and other parts of the car were all still fine. The central interior light was draining the battery over a 2-week or so period. So often I would have to charge the battery a little before I could start the car. In the end I pulled the bulb out of the interior light and now my battery retains charge, and the Hicas light issue hasn't surfaced since. So I put it down to low voltage.
Please post when you've resolved it in case there's another issue I need to check!

#7 ·
Right guys I have tested the battery and the charging system and it appears that the battery is not taking enough charge before I started it was at 11.8 volts dropped to 9.6 while cranking which is not really enough.
While running the alternator was running 14.1v with no loads on .
When fully loaded it initially dropped to 13.8v at idle and 14.1 with some revs .
So the charging system seems fine think it's a dud battery will try this first and see wat happens lol.

Attachments

#8 ·
Hi everyone .
right ive found the problem and rectified it lol.
first I tried the battery and had no joy , I thought well the issue seems to be mainly with the hicas light so removed the ecu out of the boot to eliminate the system and then tried to take the car to work for mot and it was so bad and violently loosing power it actually stoped the engine completely.
Obviously I didnt get far so got the car home and striped the alternator off and sent it to panks auto electricians who ran diagnostics on it and they come back to me saying nothing really wrong other than the main post was a bit scored and chard from getting hot so they replaced it for me as they had it lol.
I thought I would check the wiring before I put it all back together but tracing the right wires wasn't easy but all seemed fine so then striped the fuse box back and followed the wires and then there it was .....
The live wire that comes from the battery has a spade connector that goes in to a red block well it was loose and when I pulled it out it was melted and burned that bad there was a hole through it. So ive put a ring terminal on the wire and reconnected been perfect sins wooo hooooo so awsome to have my car back lol.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.