GTR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it's time to change the Hicas oil. However I couldn't find with certainty what type of oil to use.
I have a japanese book that probably explains what type of oil to use unfortunately I don't read japanese :nervous:
Could someone translate this to help :

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I''m not sure it's ATF because when it is you can see ATF written even if it's japanese (this is the case for the R34 gearbox for example). But ATF isn't written in the japanese description posted. That's the reason I believe it may not be ATF. Thus a translation would be very usefull.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hi Wardiz

Have you tried a phone app to translate the text ? A mate used one on a trip to Germany recently and it worked really well. You literally aim at the text like your going to take a photo and it translated.

Can find out the app if your interested ?

Cheers
Darren

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
The HICAS is just stock autobox oil. Nothing special there.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
If you own a 33/34 your hicas is electronic not hydraulic :thumbsup:
But yes ATF in 32's. (In the pas reservoir in the bay).
:)
Bob

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
It's a R34. I know the HICAS is electronic still there is an oil tank in the boot as in the picture.
Or is it the Attesa oil tank ? I'm getting confused :confused:

Am I the only one who is confused he wrote hicas and there is a pic of the Attesa reservoir tank?

The text is saying: Nissan power steering fluid special.

You must be right mate that must be the ATTESA oil tank !
What should I use then ? I guess there must be an alternative to the "Nissan power steering fluid special" ?

·
Registered
156 Posts
It's a R34. I know the HICAS is electronic still there is an oil tank in the boot as in the picture.
Or is it the Attesa oil tank ? I'm getting confused :confused:
Hicas is electronic

What you see there is the fluid for the hydraulic side of your diff

So you should have a factory fitted lsd ?

So yes it's Attesa....

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
LSD on non v-spec. Hydrolocally operated LSD on v-spec.
ATTESA fluid is used to operate the 4WD and diff on v-spec.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You are right, thanks.
Back to square one : what type of oil should go in Attesa actuator ?
I did some research and I found this : http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/471778-post1.html
Basically the oil is obviously some ATF oil BUT it's not advised to use dexron II or dexron III because the viscosity a 40°C is too high (35.5 according to spec).

I spent some time comparing the spec of various ATF oils of various brand at 40°C. And the range goes from 38.5 to 29.6 (second is 30.5). So more than 20% of difference.
Question to oilman : do you think it's safe to use an ATF oil with the lowest viscosity @40°C in the attesa tank ? Is 30.5 mm2/s is low enough ? (it's the Motul ATF VI).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sorry to bring this topic UP.
But I find so different answers... nissan matic D, dexron III, dexron II...
Like wardiz mention there is also differences between brands

So should I go for the lowest viscosity ATF oil I can find ? (like the valvoline )

·
Registered
187 Posts

"There is a control side, and the actual transfer case. The fluids in the control side, and the transfer are separate. Nissan says Nissan special power steering fluid in the control side, and Nissan Fluid Type D in the transfer case. (We normally use Redline High Temp ATF in both systems.)"

1 - 18 of 18 Posts