GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all,

I have changed the steering wheel on an r32 gtr and used an appropriate hicas compatible hub. However after about 25 mins of driving the Hicas warning light comes on. The cars behaviour does not change and i have checked all fluids. Switching off the resets the warning but it is back again after 25 mins. I have disconected the battery to reset the brain, but no joy. Any ideas to cure this problem would be most welcome, thanks in advance.

Rob

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Was the wheel DEAD straight when you changed it ?
Sorry, but I've just thought, that would give you the cause possibly, but not the answer to your problem.
I am interested though, because I am changing mine this weekend.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Have you ran through the daig procedure in the GTR manual? Mine is doing a similar thing but haven't had time to investigate but have read up on the diag procedure, its a bit long and I think you have to jack up all wheels off the floor at some point to check it properly.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have not had the car up in the air, but will have a look at the manual and see what the proceedure is. Thw wheel was straight ahead when i changed it and also done on a flat surface with battery disconnected. Looking at the steering wheel parts for the Hicas. There does not seem to be any marker that indicates where the default straight ahead is. I thus assumed that it worked of differential movement and could be zeroed with disconnecting the battery. I will investigate further and update when i have got to the bottom of it or taken the carin frustration to a garage!

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Mine does this, And I cant get it into DX mode, I have tried a number of times, So im guessing mine is a boss problem, I have a Nismo wheel.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
quattro,
Did you solve the puzzle ?
I have just changed my wheel and ended up with exactly the same situation; HICAS light comes on after 15-20 mins driving, resets when turned off, then comes on again.
I'm very interested if you get to the bottom of it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alas, not yet, and i am packing for holiday this weekend so will not get a chance. It has to be something quite simple. i will take teh gt-r manual with me on hols and give it some thought. If you come up with anythign, please let me know too.

best

rob

·
Registered
832 Posts
Is there anything temperature wise that can cause the light to come on??? The reason I ask is my light will not come on until the car reaches 70c...On a cold day (0c), the light wont come on. Much quicker when I go for a boot on the freeway...:confused:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is possible that there is some temperature effect. However in both mine and staq' case this sudden problem has arisen since changing the steering wheel. Thus i suspect there is something in the steering hub that requires alignment. Why this problem only arises after a given amount of driving time is a real mystery to me. will keep you all informed if i make porgress

rob

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
locking kit, sounds interesting. I am not sure how much "laptime" the hicas is actually worth. I suppose you can then dump the rear rack, resiviour and all piping. How much are these kits and where can you get them from? cheers

rob

·
Registered
379 Posts
I've got the same problem I think it maybe something to do with sensor not centred and speed. I can drive all day around town and it won't come on but when on the motorway it comes on after around 15mins.

I think hicas goes into high speed mode over 70kmh

The advantage you guys have is that you know your car was working before.

Mine has been doing this since I got it so maybe a hard fault.

There is loads of info on this on the forum use the search and get ready for a lot of reading!!

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
I've got the same problem I think it maybe something to do with sensor not centred and speed. I can drive all day around town and it won't come on but when on the motorway it comes on after around 15mins.

I think hicas goes into high speed mode over 70kmh
Yes the power steering has two modes depending on speed.

The motorway problem is that you have travelled a fair distance with not much steering movement and the ecu thinks that there is a fault. Naturally you will not get this on normal roads as you do not drive in a straight line at high speeds for long (unless you have a long quiet Roman Road!)

·
Registered
832 Posts
I have heard and read good things about the lock kits (lots on this website). Some people claim you can shed up to 25kg's by dumping the hicas, but I'm inclined to think it's more like 15-20lbs. The biggest incentive for me to lose the hicas is because virtually all track gtr's have lock bars, which makes me believe that your car will be faster without it.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
379 Posts
Yes the power steering has two modes depending on speed.

The motorway problem is that you have travelled a fair distance with not much steering movement and the ecu thinks that there is a fault. Naturally you will not get this on normal roads as you do not drive in a straight line at high speeds for long (unless you have a long quiet Roman Road!)
Does this mean that all R32s have this problem or does the long period of straight line just highlight other problems e.g play in steering sensor incorrect neutral signal?

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
Does this mean that all R32s have this problem or does the long period of straight line just highlight other problems e.g play in steering sensor incorrect neutral signal?
It is more of a design fault! I am not sure but the newer skylines probably do it as well?
It is not a problem. It is one of the many questions that I have asked Rod Bell @ rbmotorsport and he said that it was not a fault and 'they all do that'.

·
Registered
379 Posts
:thumbsup: Interesting!
I think I was on the verge of fixing it till it broke! :chuckle:

·
Registered
733 Posts
The hicas light comes on when changing the steering wheel because the wheels and steering were not dead straight when refitting new one.

If you plug a nissan consult into the car it will tell you that the steering angle sensor is out.

My car is 3% out. I've tried many times to fefit the steering wheel to get stop on with the consult showing zero, BUt when you lock up the steering wheel bolt it moves ever so slightly and relists the problem after a short run.

If anybody does find out how to refit the steering wheel to get it bang on then let me know.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I got my skyline with a different wheel fitted and on the test drive the light never came on even though I was out for a good 45mins. However on the journey home it came on when I was on the motorway after maybe 20mins. Since then I haven't been on the motorway and have had it out for over 45mins with no light.

I haven't tried diagnostics yet (on the list) but at the moment I can only assume what davewilkins has posted fits my problems. Hence nothing wrong with car and Hicas should be sorking well. It certainly turns in very sharp like a smaller car would with no understeer. My s14a 200sx felt heavy in comparison.

I noticed it was quite sensitive on the motorway but since I'm new to the car I don't know if its meant to be like that or a fault with hicas.

·
Registered
379 Posts
The hicas light comes on when changing the steering wheel because the wheels and steering were not dead straight when refitting new one.

If you plug a nissan consult into the car it will tell you that the steering angle sensor is out.

My car is 3% out. I've tried many times to fefit the steering wheel to get stop on with the consult showing zero, BUt when you lock up the steering wheel bolt it moves ever so slightly and relists the problem after a short run.

If anybody does find out how to refit the steering wheel to get it bang on then let me know.
Do you think this could be caused by the lugs on the sensor not fitting tightly on the new hub allowing movment of the sensor without the wheel moving?

If so covering the lugs with masking tape or heat shrink etc to ensure a snug fit may help.

Just a thought. I never had an original whell so do not know what the clearance was like:confused:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts