GTR Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, just a quick question for you lot, I've recently started having trouble with the HICAS on my Skyline :confused: , the light is sticking on and stiffening the steering up, which makes me sad, I've taken her to a load of different garages in South Yorkshire were I live that seem to talk the talk about Skylines but when it comes down to the crunch they haven't got a clue about this problem.

If any of you lot could shed some light on how this can be rectified and how muc this is going to cost me I would be very grateful.

Treasach :popcorn:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah mate, when it came over from Japan the back steering fluid reservior was completely empty, filled it up and never had a problem till now, gutted at minute think clutch is going, turbo might be on it's way out, then this bloody hicas thing is dying.

Would it make the car feel like it had no power steering if it went? :flame:

·
Registered
448 Posts
HICAS

I thought the resevoir in the boot, drivers side, was for the ATESSA 4wd system fluid, and the resevoir under the bonnet, passenger side, was the power steering and HICAS systems fluid. Correct me if I am wrong. ;)

R32 GT-R anyway..........

·
Registered
855 Posts
The resevoir in the boot is for the Atessa 4 wheel drive system, not the steering.
Have you checked the resevoir under the bonnet on the passenger side ?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yeah the one under the bonnet is find, we put in normal steering fluid in the back resivoir after calling the garage I bought it from, the guy at the garage said it was normal fluid that goes in it, obviously not, I'll drain the resivoir and put the correct fluid in it which might help!!

Would this make a huge difference that the wrong fluid has been put in?

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
HICAS elimination bar: $100. Done :)

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
it is power steering fluid that goes in back resevoir too so dont worry. if the power steering is stiffening i would have thought it would have something to do around the bonnet end not the hicas, have you checked the belts arent slipping get a copy of the service manual to see how to remove any trapped air from power steering resevoir and make double sure that the fluid level is correct if i remember correctly the hicas light comes on if its not, may need engine running to check, i usually just fill 3/4 up container and never had a problem.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Few thank god! well the HICAS light comes when I'm driving, doesn't matter what speed just comes on when I've been driving for about 20 mins, when I drive to my gym it comes on at the exact same point of the journey every time, when the light comes on when I'm driving the steering doesn't go stiff.

My steering stiffens only when I turn my car on and the HICAS light sticks on straight away, which is not all the time, it's only then that the power steering seems to be failing.

I've just ordered a Skyline Manual off ebay, plus it's in for a service on monday, she's going through the wars at the minute!! but I'll get her sorted even if I have to remortgage my house ha ha

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
OK the hicas light coming on after a while is a common fault on R32's, if you drive the car hard and then it uses hicas it will prob turn it off.

The hicas light coming on straight away and then you steering going stiff is a problem with the power steering system, check fluid under bonnet for level and check for leaks under the car, does it have an aftermarket steering wheel?

The pot in the boot uses dextron II PAS fluid, when you filled it did you bleed the system through?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Lots of times this sort of problem appears to start after speedo convertors / delimiters have been fitted..usually poor one's, wrong one's or incorrectly fitted, just a thought as it's recently come in the country.

Aitch

·
Registered
22 Posts
HI i have an R32 GTR the hicas light comes on intermittently,
i have an after market steering wheel fitted the levels are all OK and no leaks, the last thing i tried was to straighten the steering wheel in to the straight ahead driving position,
then disconnect the battery for 1 minute then reconnect the battery.
Since i have done this the light has not been on since.
I have since been told my mate that the hicas control module resets its zero point when the battery is disconnected, and this could be the problem.

·
Registered
99 Posts
here is a description of the diagnostic procedure:

HICAS Diagnostic - Skylines Australia

also a number of other causes for hicas faults are:

-low battery volts, hicas likes a very good electrical system.
-aftermarket steering wheel boss, non hicas-compatable.
-flaky speed sensor, on rear of speedo. also if speedo cable is dodgy(bouncy gauge) then it can affect the speed sensor signal.

good things to check.

james.

ps why can't I post attachments...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Did you ever fix this Treasach?

No mate, it's doing my box in, I can switch it off now by pressing the brakes a couple of times so it's not as bad as it was, I've found a garage that can plug it in for me, they have ordered the correct scart plug as theirs doesn't fit so I'll keep you informed.

Did you manage to sort yours?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts