GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

New here, so be kind :banned:

I have an R32 GTR (1992) and want to buy an HID conversion kit. I have searched and searched and read many posts and I am still not 100% certain of the kit I need. I have the standard R32 GTR headlights, but I am not sure what kit (bulb version) I need :confused:

As far as I can tell, the bulbs are these rare HC3 ones, and I can't find any kits specifically for these. Would an H3 kit work? I was looking at getting one of the kits off here: -

Welcome to hid-lights.com

Could someone point me in the right direction for the kit I need, I really don't want to get it wrong! Or, alternatively, point me to a site that has the correct one.

Thanks for any advice :bowdown1:
GT

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great, thankyou!

Those certainly look like an option. But aren't those just replacement bulbs? As opposed to a full HID conversion kit (with ballast packs etc) as seen on the site I linked above?

Cheers, GT

·
Registered
558 Posts
i have done a hid conversion on mine,i bought 2 hid tranformers off a vectra from local scrapyard for starters,had trouble with finding h3c hid bulbs,only option was to make a normal hid bulb fit a h3c holder took a bit of time but got it sorted in the end and it didnt cost alot.system has been on car for 3 years now with no trouble.
ive got the headlights out at the moment so i will take some pics at the w/end and post them up

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great, thanks.

I can't imagine it would be too hard to make an H3 kit fit? I'm sure I've done more technical jobs than that in my time :chuckle: . Has anyone else fitted an H3 kit to an R32 GTR (standard headlights?)

·
Registered
597 Posts
hi

i think there are 3 different headlamp type on a gtr, early(89-91?) - H3C, late(91 on) - H1 and Nismo - H4.

don't know about H3c but you can fit aftermarket HIDs to H1 & H4, if you are fitting H1 replacements then its worth getting a PIAA adaptor (PH44?) which reverses the H1 holder in the lamp asembly so that a, the shadow caused by the return part of the bulb isn't visible and b, it'll enable easier retention of the H1 bulb (assuming that the replacement HIDs are similar to the PIAA HID kits).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ahhh ... that's interesting. I didn't know they were different. Mine is a 1992, so maybe that's H1. I've seen plenty of H1 conversion kits, but never an HC3 one.

If it is H1, then problem solved. I like the sound of the PIAA thingy too. If I remove a headlight bulb from my car to check, will it physically have H1 written on it somewhere? That way I can be sure.

I assume the kits are universal as far as wiring and connectors go. So I don't need a specific R32 GTR kit?

Thanks for the help .... it's getting clearer.

Cheers, GT

·
Registered
597 Posts
if your lights have a round silver? rim as opposed to a concave arrangement(hard to explain) then it could be the late ones.

Also take the bulb out and see if there is a H1 bulb fitted within the black connector with 3 spade connectors, do a pic search for H1 bulb if you are unsure what they look like.

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
Also have a word with Ron at RK Tuning.
I had my lights converted while my 32 was in for some work.
The difference is amazing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys .... very helpful.

I had a look and my lights do indeed have a fine chrome rim around the outside of light. It also has a black connector on the back that connects to 3 spades. So it looks like they are H1, which gives me options :)

Thanks again, GT

·
Registered
379 Posts
H1 to H4 adaptor

If your lights are like mine then you'll find its not as simple task to convert to HID. The H1 bulb is held in place by some kind of holder which also acts as an adaptor which can then be plugged into a H4 socket. To get round this problem I’ve bought N1 headlights which use standard H4 bulb without any adaptors, all I need to do now is buy a HID kit

I've attached some pics of the H1 to H4 adaptor, is yours the same?
[/IMG]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Aki. I haven't actually taken the bulb out yet, just checked the connectors on the back. But I think mine might be the same as yours, I did notice the little metal 'hooks' that appear in your pic.

Nothing that a bit of creative wiring can't sort out, I'm sure :chuckle:

·
Registered
597 Posts
the pic Aki shows is the 3 prong holder with the H1 bulb fitted, the PIAA PH44 adpator allows the H1 lamp to be fitted to the lamp assembly without the 3 prong holder, thus enabling you to fit H1 hid system without cuttings wires at that point.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ahh ... I see, that makes sense.

Where do I find this PIAA PH44 Adapter? Google just stares at me blankly when I entered it in there?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Thanks for the link V1H, just wish I had seen this earlier before buying a set of N1 headlights. I had called loads of tuners asking if there was anything that could be done with the adaptor, was contemplating modifying my own adaptor to retrofit a HID kit but didn't have a spare adaptor incase a messed it up.

Looking at the pic did you have to permenantly mount this in the headlight be securing it with screws? So I'm geussing you had remove the headlight assembly to do this?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts