GTR Forum banner

HID's

1K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  Mookistar 
#1 ·
Has anyone converted their headlights properly for a HID set-up?

Have heard that Audi A6 projectors can be used but they are expensive. Anyone else done this cheaper?

#5 ·
I don't have an R33 so not really. But it isn't hard to work out. What are your aims?

FWIW you only really have two options, Xenon on dipped or bi-xenon. From what I know of the R33 it has two separate lamps for dipped and main. You could replace the dipped with Xenon and keep the 'normal' for main. If you do this you'd want a relay or some wiring to ensure that the dipped stays on with the main beam.

What bulb types does the R33 have?

#6 ·
Yes the R33 has 2 bulbs. One for dipped, the other for main/high beam. Both are H1's. There's an easy mod you can do to allow both to stay on when switched to main/high.

Was going to go dipped only for now and put a high wattage bulb in for the main.

Any ideas ?

#8 ·
H1 can be done.

You could do an 'easy' job with this kit for the dipped beam - H1: Morimoto Elite HID System - HID Systems from The Retrofit Source Inc

You wouldn't need to do any hard stuff with the headlights.

If you want bi-xenons then things get harder. You need to either get a projector which will fit into the normal reflector (see my thread in the Pics section for an example) or develop a bracket to hold the projector.

Both of the above will require you to take the headlight apart.

Final thought is a set of COB LED bulbs. I've not tried any (watch this space) but they should have most of the advatanges of HIDs with even easier fitting and no worries about warm up times.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.