GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
High Guys

Been looking for an R33 for a long time now & have a few options im looking at, one of which is a late R33 that has done around 120,000 miles.

It is completely standard in every way with lots of history too.

Question is - Would the miles put you off - it looks a nice clean car inside & out with clean stut tops etc & no rust, just thinking about if it is likely to need a rebuild. It would only be used in the dry as a second car & not tracked any time soon either.

Cheers
Johnny

·
Administrator
31,885 Posts
It all depends. A well looked after engine will be fine. Depends on the price

·
Administrator
31,885 Posts
Any gtr over 70,000 miles you should start saving for a rebuild IMHO

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
I said having good oil pressure, oil temp and water temp don't mean shit....

If it's going to fail its going to fail regardless what pressure and temps you have so telling somebody to watch for temps and pressure is really false information although it's the only thing you can go off its pot luck with these cars as I've found out recently 6.5 bar cold start 2-2.5 bar warm idle and 4 bar+ at 4k rpm spins a bearing at 5k rpm in a 4th gear pull

·
Registered
116 Posts
I said having good oil pressure, oil temp and water temp don't mean shit....

If it's going to fail its going to fail regardless what pressure and temps you have so telling somebody to watch for temps and pressure is really false information although it's the only thing you can go off its pot luck with these cars as I've found out recently 6.5 bar cold start 2-2.5 bar warm idle and 4 bar+ at 4k rpm spins a bearing at 5k rpm in a 4th gear pull
Yep as i said a mechanical failure can happen at any time,
as part of my job i rebuild quite a few engines ranging from 10litre to
twin turbo 17 litre diesel engines so i do know what i am on about.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
So back on topic who has serviced the car ? How often and at what mileage intervals ? Which oil has been used ?
How many owners has it had ?

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
High Guys

Been looking for an R33 for a long time now & have a few options im looking at, one of which is a late R33 that has done around 120,000 miles.

It is completely standard in every way with lots of history too.

Question is - Would the miles put you off - it looks a nice clean car inside & out with clean stut tops etc & no rust, just thinking about if it is likely to need a rebuild. It would only be used in the dry as a second car & not tracked any time soon either.

Cheers
Johnny
Tbh reading this it seems there's every chance it has been looked after and possibly dry stored too.. Do you have a link to the for sale add ? Who is it for sale with ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
As you mentioned in your original post you have the option of a few cars... Drive them, that's the best indication of all.
I dont think the mileage is a big deal if the cars been looked after.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Sometimes a higher mileage car that has been looked after will be better then a low mileage ragged gtr...Just saying don't buy blind on mileages only, these engines can go on and on if taken care for ;)

·
Registered
919 Posts
My car was low mileage when I brought it, but the engine failed after a couple of weeks, again good oil pressure, car still went well, the ring lands went because of too much boost, there was no horrible noise either, my advice would be to go on the condition of the car, fortunately my is in very good nick, so all it did was to bring my rebuild a bit further forward, everything is good now, if I'd have brought a shed I would have been gutted, I now have a new stroker engine in a mint body so I'm pole vaulting :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts