GTR Forum banner

High Mileage R33 GTR

3K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  bluesky 
#1 ·
High Guys

Been looking for an R33 for a long time now & have a few options im looking at, one of which is a late R33 that has done around 120,000 miles.

It is completely standard in every way with lots of history too.

Question is - Would the miles put you off - it looks a nice clean car inside & out with clean stut tops etc & no rust, just thinking about if it is likely to need a rebuild. It would only be used in the dry as a second car & not tracked any time soon either.

Cheers
Johnny

#9 ·
I said having good oil pressure, oil temp and water temp don't mean shit....

If it's going to fail its going to fail regardless what pressure and temps you have so telling somebody to watch for temps and pressure is really false information although it's the only thing you can go off its pot luck with these cars as I've found out recently 6.5 bar cold start 2-2.5 bar warm idle and 4 bar+ at 4k rpm spins a bearing at 5k rpm in a 4th gear pull

#20 ·
My car was low mileage when I brought it, but the engine failed after a couple of weeks, again good oil pressure, car still went well, the ring lands went because of too much boost, there was no horrible noise either, my advice would be to go on the condition of the car, fortunately my is in very good nick, so all it did was to bring my rebuild a bit further forward, everything is good now, if I'd have brought a shed I would have been gutted, I now have a new stroker engine in a mint body so I'm pole vaulting :thumbsup:

#21 ·
Saving for a rebuild after 70k is silly advice.

As others have said:
1) mechanical failure can happen at anytime.
2) mileage isn't an indication of engine condition.

Speaking with the seller is my first point of call. If they seem like a dealer or an idiot walk away. If they seem like a genuine enthusiast, ask if you can do a compression test... Even better an mot if you're really serious. Sake of £40 you get it up on a ramp, brakes, suspension, tyre wear etc all checked.

Let the engine warm up and take for a good drive. Make sure the radio is off and no one is talking to you so you can listen for any out of place noises.

Bottom line, 120k is nothing for a looked after RB. At that mileage I'd be checking the bushes, clutch, brakes etc... Stuff that is easily overlooked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.