GTR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all

Just out of curiousity, has anybody ever researched how much horsepower (approximately) it would take to get a full weight R34 (ie. street trim) to pull a 10.0s (Ace driver) to 10.5s (Half decent driver) quarter mile on street race tires (eg. Nitto 555R, Advans, etc.)? Based on what I've seen I'm thinking about 850-900hp all turbo (no NOS as that helps torque a lot).

Does anybody else have other numbers?

Cya O!

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
There are so many other factors involved with posting a certain 0-400m time other than just actual power. For example a sequential box will probably give you a good 0.5 sec advantage over the standard getrag...

I would have to say about 800ps?! Something along these lines anyways....
BTW are you planning on going "single" or "twin"?

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Dino

The tuners have told me that twin is the way to go for a combination of responsiveness (however responsive a big hp GTR can be?) and top end grunt. Apparently the singles are great for mid range power (although ask the Supra guys on Supraforums and they'll all tell you that the big single is the only way to go).

The obvious issue is cost with the twin setups being far more expensive than the big singles (eg. T51R, T88, etc.). Is the difference in cost justified? I don't really know. I'd hate to spend almost 50% more on a turbo setup to find out that it gives me a few hundred rpm quicker pickup and a handful of more hp between 8,500-9,500 rpm. Might as well spend that extra on something else (whatever that may be?).

Since the car will be doing street duty, I don't plan to do the sequential box. I will, however, upgrade the gearset with some brand name kit (eg. OS, Trust, HKS, etc.).

Cya O!

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good point, Guy. I should say I'm hoping for something.

There is one immediate glimmer of hope. At the HKS Drag Battle in Sendai last year, I spoke to T. Kawasaki (HKS' drag driver) about the transmission in his 900hp+ R34 and he mentioned that he was using an HKS 6 speed dog box. Not a gearset, but a whole box.

Cya O!

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your input, Guy. Money will be forever a problem with these cars!

Cya O!

·
Registered
49 Posts
hipogtr said:
Good point, Guy. I should say I'm hoping for something.

There is one immediate glimmer of hope. At the HKS Drag Battle in Sendai last year, I spoke to T. Kawasaki (HKS' drag driver) about the transmission in his 900hp+ R34 and he mentioned that he was using an HKS 6 speed dog box. Not a gearset, but a whole box.

Cya O!
I know a guy on the RX-7 Forum with a 5 speed HKS Dogmission, About $6000USD.
He's in the AF stationed in japan. They don't even mention them here in the US.
You can get 6 speeds, He is going to get one sometime soon, $1k more.
He runs 10.6 I believe in his FC RX-7 (2nd gen). Around 540RWHP on a T04R w/ 1.15 A/R. With his soon to be T51-R KAI he will be pushing over 600RWHP and whenever his engines blows, he's going for a 20B (3 rotor) which will be scary.
It's fully sequential, mates right up, has R where 1st is, and 1st where 2nd is for less misshifts from 2nd-3rd.
Very nice setup, very expensive. I believe they make them for quite a few cars, we'll need to have a guy in Japan find out more info though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts