GTR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone who has run standard rods post the bhp theyve run at please. and if theyve broken what power level they broke at. not bolt breakages just bent rod, broken rod or cracked rod.

thanks

·
Registered
3,803 Posts

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
i would like to know this too.. as i am considering forged rods next time. running around 600bhp at mo.. just had my head ported & polished, valves re-lapped, steps machined, re-shimmed and new tomei 270 10.5 cams... so should be well over 600bhp with my set up
and having just seen an engine that has chucked a rod through the block was thinking this may be a must have???

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cool thanks for replies. what about inlet manifold and cylinder head port sizes when do they become a restriction ?

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
they are a restriction anything over 400bhp IMO.... good porting & polishing, removing restrictors etc, is good for around 40+bhp i have been told.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
they are a restriction anything over 400bhp IMO.... good porting & polishing, removing restrictors etc, is good for around 40+bhp i have been told.
i mean restriction where the engine will surge and boost will jump up and down by 7 - 10 psi ! my old cossie did this and had to have boost capped below 5300 rpm to 24 psi as the engine just physically couldnt consume the air the big t4 was producing! it sounded rank tbh

·
Registered
820 Posts
The rod bolts always seem to break before the rods. I know of one rb30 with a 25 head on it. It spat a rod out the block after been thrashed by one of the most ruthless drivers I know for 3 years. It was making 380rwkw's. Standard crank, rods, forged pistons.

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
I think the rips guys have done over 1000bhp on standard rods.
News to me, I've never run RB26s:nervous::nervous:

One of my customers ran around 750-800whp with one of our stock internal RB30s and he cracked a ring land after a while (not sure why) but the rods didn't give trouble as he kept the rpm down.

Rob

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
News to me, I've never run RB26s:nervous::nervous:
That was a good one :D

I was under the impression that only detonation and high combustion pressure will bend a rod and only Revs will stretch a rod bolt or small end beyond yield strenght. I've never had a rod through a block (ok, I never ran that high power like you guys do), but I have the feeling that saving money on the rods will come back to me after all someday.

Meanwhile I'll stay stock with Z32 ARP bolts until the next build.

Marc

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
This topic has already been done to death.
My engine makes 670hp at the crank and runs factory nissan oem rods, shot peined and arp 300zx tt rod bolts.
I would have no issue retuning on c16 to over 700 with teh same rods.
Rods usually let go when over revved downshifting ....

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
This topic has already been done to death.
My engine makes 670hp at the crank and runs factory nissan oem rods, shot peined and arp 300zx tt rod bolts.
I would have no issue retuning on c16 to over 700 with teh same rods.
Rods usually let go when over revved downshifting ....

that assuring to know. my tuner has already told me what i can run but i thought i would ask and see if anyone has had a failure.

a question for you though why in every post i see you make do you have to quote (this has been done to death) remark ? i obviously didnt see it and ive done a search and nothing came up.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
It's Glenn's job round here to state that! :chuckle:

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Although he seems to be busy lately! There are far to many posts answering before he chimes in. Glenn, whats up? ;)

300ZX TT bolts need to be shortened by 3mm, I think(?) to be used in RB26 stock rods.
Maybe someone else can confirm.

Marc

1 - 19 of 19 Posts