GTR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Absolutely loving my GTR, just sick of the weather. Temperatures taking an age to warm up and traction not as usable as I wish.
Came across the one "gripe" again today which is how to smootly start off on a hill. It was just a friends drive, but was a little steep. I've tried handbrake on, gear in first in manual mode. I cannot get gear to engage to then smootly apply a little throttle. It requires to much revs with the 1st gear been selected with a small "thump".

Any advise on your preferred experience would be very much welcomes.
Thanks guys & girls.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi!

Try snow mode, it's much smoother:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
you can get the gearbox plates re-align the (generally after a TM oil change).

HPC can do this but Litchfields do it cheaper and better in my opinion

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'm sure if you take the handbreak off in first then release the foot break the car has hill start for this reason. I dare say like other owners i didn't fully read manual but mine will recognise a hill start, the only problem for me is reversing up a slope from stationary.

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
it will jurk going slowly up a hill, putting your foot hard on the brake then releasing slowly is better but not perfect

·
Registered
570 Posts
Almost gave the Mrs whiplash today after starting on a steep hill.

Hold, hold, hold, bang we're off. Nothing in between.

Now she thinks I cant drive the car :D

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hmmm...had the same problem...at my last service the tech gave me a lesson in hill starts....put it in auto. put your foot on the brake, take the handbrake off, and push the brake harder, you'll find it goes down a further centimetre or two. When you've done this you've engaged hill start mode (?) so you can take your foot off the brake and it'll stay stationary for 3-4 seconds. Within that time put your foot on the accelerator and it'll pull away smoothly.

Works in forward or reverse (he had about 7 goes to get it working in reverse on the little slope in front of Middlehurst's showroom)

I couldn't find it in the manual either....

Guy

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've tried handbrake on, gear in first in manual mode. I cannot get gear to engage to then smootly apply a little throttle. It requires to much revs with the 1st gear been selected with a small "thump".
I've found that using the handbrake to hold the car is a mistake, it's almost as if the clutch won't engage with the handbrake applied. Use the foot brake and press it very hard and most of the time the hill start will engage and hold the car.

Jon

1 - 11 of 11 Posts