GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else had a noise with a HKS belt?
I slackened it off slightly and the noise has quietened but still there. The tension is spot on. Im thinking of putting a standard one back on ?
The noise isnt bad. In fact you can hardly hear it through the bonnet, but my concern is should it be like this?

·
Registered
889 Posts
I only have experience vith the Tomei cambelt.
On my car this belt makes a whining noise when the engine is warm.
The mechanic checked the tension but it was spot on, and i have lived with this rather annoying sound for over three years.
Some people say that the reason for the sound is because of the kevlar in the belt but i dont know.
So i have purchased a new genuine Nissan cambelt and i will install this when spring arrives.

Terje.

·
Registered
26,783 Posts
ive a nismo belt, with no issues / noises

i was thinking of a HKS belt as the clear cam cover is being taken off and replaced with a new one

not sure after this

·
Registered
429 Posts
I have the same issue just had a power enterprise kevlar belt fitted.Fine when cold when it get warm it whines quite annoyingly

·
Registered
889 Posts
i dont know whether to fit my tomei belt now is it very loud, i.e can you hear it inside the cabin

Yes i can hear the whining noise inside the cabin. Maybe i have very sensitive ears:D
But the Mine's exhaust on my 34 is pretty quiet on idle and low rpm's.
Like i said, i have lived with this rather annoying noise for three years but now i had enough.
Also i am pretty certain that the Nissan genuine cambelt is more than good enough for most power levels.

Terje.

·
Registered
889 Posts
With a Kakimoto exhaust you would not hear an Airbus who was about to land on your car:D

Terje.

·
Premium Member
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes i can hear the whining noise inside the cabin. Maybe i have very sensitive ears:D
But the Mine's exhaust on my 34 is pretty quiet on idle and low rpm's.
Like i said, i have lived with this rather annoying noise for three years but now i had enough.
Also i am pretty certain that the Nissan genuine cambelt is more than good enough for most power levels.

Terje.
SNAP !!
I totally agree. I cant hear mine from inside, but it is there.
A genuine belt is plenty strong enough

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
The issue is that the factory belts have a certain amount of stretch in the them, and the materials are designed to run quiet. The aftermarket cambelts are reinforced with Kevlar, which does not stretch (or anywhere near as much) so:

1. they make a lot more noise
2. especially when the motor is hot, as everything else "around" the belt has expanded.
3. it's not a problem, BUT most importantly.....

4. you need to run greater clearance in the cambelt adjuster to allow for the lack of stretch. Otherwise they whine like a wife who's not been allowed to go shopping....

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
4. you need to run greater clearance in the cambelt adjuster to allow for the lack of stretch. Otherwise they whine like a wife who's not been allowed to go shopping....

Could you perhaps please specify this a little more as I'm also about to fit a HKS timing belt in the next few days :nervous:

What would be the correct/best tension for such Kevlar reinforced belts???

Cheers,

Leo

·
Premium Member
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Im thinking it would have to be a little more slack than a standard belt. The only thing is then its in the back of your mind.."is it too slack?".
The answer would have to be- live with the noise.
But it seems that not all of them make a noise.
Just be prepared for it to whine. If its a track car it doesnt matter, but annoying on a road car.

What power are people running on standard belts? I would have thought a standard belt would be good for over 650hp. Its only the more sudden changes in the RPM, high lift cams and uprated valve springs that would require an uprated belt. Please correct me if im wrong!
The HKS belt does look the plums though!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm running an HKS belt with HKS gears and have been for the past 2-3 years. I've never had any noise at all. I replaced it all at the same time with a Nissan idler and tensioner. Seems perfect in my car?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Installed a GReddy belt to a few cars and some of them had a whining noise after that. Tension seemed to be perfect.

Will be installing stock belt to my R34 and GReddy to my R33. We´ll see what the result is goin to be...

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
same as vspec-33, i run HKS wheels and cambelt. I went for the HKS belt over standard because 1) at the time my intention was to run a clear cambelt cover and 2) it's still cheap insurance for such and expensive motor.

regarding how much tension? I don't use a gauge etc on cambelts, just go by feel. Tho I've heard that people use the old twist method for judging tension - i.e. you should be able to twist the longest run of the belt no more than 90degrees. TBH, when I first put the belt in, it squeaked like mad - so I ended up pulling the front covers off and slackening off the tension a smidge (yes, that's an IEEE approved measure!) - basically, it looks too loose - which is about right.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts