GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm changing my cambelt soon but want to go HKS any one know if Greddy one any good or are they the same just different colours? Surely some one must know or advice please

·
Premium Member
3,840 Posts
HKS and Greddy ones are made by Gates AFAIK.

I have some Gates cam pulleys and not only are they identical to HKS pulleys (but blue not purple) but they have the same HKS part numbers on the packaging. Maybe jumping to conclusions but this would suggest HKS belts are Gates manufactured. Greddy belt looks identical blue to the Gates uprated belts.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
OEM might not be the same, but never had issues with it, if anything the OEM stretches abit when hot and thus you don't get that irritating whine when the car is hot and idling which you can easily have with an "uprated" timingbelt that's on tight...

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Gates make a blue one.....it won't have "Greddy Tax" attached to it

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
i was told that oem isnt goed on camgears
Genuinely interested to know if there's any truth in this. Are after market gears made of some sort of harsher material that will wear out an OE belt quicker or is this just a fabricated rumour?

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Hmmm. Ok, I see where that's coming from, but assuming that after market gear tooth shape and recess between the teeth is the same as the standard gears then I think a standard belt will be fine as we don't see many (if any?) standard belts fail

1 - 20 of 29 Posts