GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello i have been invited to enter the hks drag series as was just going through the rule book.

I know a few of you on here are and have entered the series before and was wondering what you guys had to do to your cars to make them legal?

Just a few question's for you.

As i won't be doing 9.99 runs i only need a roll bar? If so what are you guys running?

My best terminal was 132mph, so close to the 135mph limit of needing a full cage but now i have put the getrag in im down to 125 mph so i guess i will be safe?

Propshaft loops? Do gtr's still need to run them as they have a two peice prop? As it it breaks it will just hit the floor instead of coming through the floor?

Can i use stock seats and belts? I have read that I only need 3" harness's if i need to run a full cage.

Flywheel sheild? Can i just use SFI bell housing balistic blanket? Or what have you guys done?

Full race suit? Can i just use fire proof overals ? And does the helmet have to meet any regs?

Anything else i have missed?

Also how many of you lot are entering this year?

ATCO
LUDDERS
BLUER34
BRADSHAW

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Hello i have been invited to enter the hks drag series as was just going through the rule book.

I know a few of you on here are and have entered the series before and was wondering what you guys had to do to your cars to make them legal?

Just a few question's for you.

As i won't be doing 9.99 runs i only need a roll bar? If so what are you guys running?

My best terminal was 132mph, so close to the 135mph limit of needing a full cage but now i have put the getrag in im down to 125 mph so i guess i will be safe?

Half cage of correct tube diameter and wall thickness - welded joints, two rear stays fixed door bar on drivers side. Single cross bar can be removeable and can take harness mounts - about 1500 quid built fitted painted Andy Robinson race cars on Basingstoke road.

Propshaft loops? Do gtr's still need to run them as they have a two peice prop? As it it breaks it will just hit the floor instead of coming through the floor?

Recommend you add a hoop to the front half of the prop - it makes a right mess if it comes adrift at the bolts.

Can i use stock seats and belts? I have read that I only need 3" harness's if i need to run a full cage.

Stock seats yes - but you need a five point harness without a Y piece at the rear.

Flywheel sheild? Can i just use SFI bell housing balistic blanket? Or what have you guys done?

I havent' done it yet but Andy Robinson race cars will get a nice doughnut shaped piece of ballistic nylon made up to the dimensions of the bellhousing and bolted in place around for about 200 quid to meet the regs. Something I need to do.

Full race suit? Can i just use fire proof overals ? And does the helmet have to meet any regs?

Full race suit with FIA or SFA? approval is required - overalls are no good - I bought a nice one nearly new suit on e-bay for 100 quid. New regs this year on Helmets I've been using an ACU Gold Shoei bike helmet but no longer legal from this year - details are in the rules. So you need a new helmet

Anything else i have missed?

Fireproof boots and gloves and neckbrace, RAC non-race B licence as a minimum, join santa pod racers club for accreditation.

Then optional - DoT drag tyres, recommend cusco adjustable arms to corect camber on launch, linelock, grid dancer, sump extension if you don't have one oh and maybe a spare engine gearbox etc.

Also how many of you lot are entering this year?

ATCO
LUDDERS
BLUER34
BRADSHAW

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I'm planning on competing but it's mostly for fun with me as realistically I need to be faster (for faster read lighter) I'll get paired with a fastest qualifier in the first eliminators as thats the way the rules work, slowest qualifiers get paired with fastest qualifiers so barring a good launch and very good luck I'm usually out. I'm yet to find out what she'll do with the 4.11 diffs, sequential and 765atw - should be able to improve on last year.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
haha malc jamie is trying to save money where possible :p stop showing him costs ;)

Will be good to see you racing this year! hope you get used to all the mods you have made over the last year! roll on those times!

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers for the info Malc.

That cage you described is a full cage right? Or just this roll over hoop they are on about for cars slower the. 9.99 or 135mph?

I have found a balistic bell housing cover on google which is around £150 to fit nissans.

It soundS bloody expensive to just be knocked out in the first round:(.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
hi Jamie it's a 9.99 half cage, it's nicely done by Andy Robinson. Its actually bolted in so can be removed, but it bolts to specially fabricated welded in boxed mounts. The cross bar as I say is removeable so you can access the back seats as normal, there is a fixed side bar on the drivers side only. It fits around all the standard seats and trim and is painted satin black. Made
of chrome moly. It could be extended forward.

Yes unless you get real serious such that the car becomes less of a road car it's difficult to be competitive. I know Jeffs car is essentially in full road trim but in order to be competitive it has to make massive power and for example runs nos and a dry sump system to help achieve this.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh shit. Thats a lot of half cage :chuckle:

I would love to enter but the cost's are massive. Why call it street class when the cars have to be race cars? :( I would love just to turn up in my normal clothes, put a lid on and give it a go :). We know thats not going to happen :chuckle:

I will be there though and will just enter RWYB to see how i get on . hahahaha

Cheers for your help mate you have helped me reach a decision. KEEP MY MONEY :)

Good luck mate and i will see you there

·
Premium Member
3,992 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,992 Posts
Cages / Roll Bars

Jamie, the rules are here for roll bars. They do not need to be welded in they can be bolted, so don't give in so easily, it would be great to have you in the HKS Series.

http://www.japdragseries.co.uk/rules/General_Safety_Regulations_2010.doc

Look at -- GSR 4:10 ROLL BARS (ET 11.99 to 10.00Secs). You can do it!!

And please remember everyone that it is the unfortunate events experienced in the motor racing industry that brings about the safety rules. They are there for your protection and not to make things awkward for you.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
I'm guessing it's the extra gearchange that slows you down Jamie? Are you past the limit of 4th gear?

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea it's because I'm using 4.11 diffs. Im well into 5th across the line :) Still crossing the line with the same time but down too 125mph instead off 132mph.

I done a 60ft of 1.8 with a time of 11.2 @ 125mph. Old set up was a 60ft of 1.7 with a time of 11.1 at 132mph.

60fts will come down but track was very cold that day. Hoping for a 1.5 or 1.6 then as long as i can keep it in a straight line at 1/2 track I'm in for a 10 :)

I reckon my 11.2 run last week could of been a 11 dead or even a high 10 if the car stayed straight after 1/2 track. I got to the 1/2 track quicker then my 11.1 run with the getrag even with a slower 60 ft so in theory i should of crossed the line quicker then 11.1?

Car has more power and bigger wheels with 888's now but i cant see that affecting terminal speeds.

Jeff i like my getrag mate. CHEERS ;) Keep the r32 box. :chuckle:

I keep reading through the spec but it still seems like it will cost a bomb to make it legal. I do see why the rules are there but it makes it harder for the normal bloke to enter. Hence why the running list looks quite short this year.

I built the whole car myself and dont care if i kill it trying to race a 1200 bhp car but when you have to spend over £2k to enter it seems pointless. For me to spend £2k on the car for stuff i dont want is crazy. Id rather spend it and take it to 900 bhp :chuckle:

Maybe one day when i get my payout or if someone wants to sponsor me i will be able to run with the big boys. hahahaha.

·
Premium Member
3,992 Posts
What's happening at 1/2 track Jamie?

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SIDEWAYS :chuckle:

There was no grip on the 24th at 1/2 track. Hope to see what its like at the fast show :)

There where proper drag cars spining up at 1/2 track and heading close to the walls. Pretty bad that day :(

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Heres my times from old stock gearbox to the getrag

GETRAG / STOCK BOX

60ft 1.81 / 1.73
330ft 4.86 / 4.82
1/8 ET 6.9 / 7.29
1/8 MPH 99.25 / 103
1000ft 9.41/
1/4 ET 11.25 / 11.14
1/4 MPH 125.4 / 132.2

·
Registered
971 Posts
hi guys im looking to run this year hopefully in me new car been driving it last few weeks to get use to the sequential and im reallt looking forward to test on both track and drag strip to see wot she can do

·
Premium Member
3,992 Posts

GETRAG / STOCK BOX

60ft 1.81 / 1.73
330ft 4.86 / 4.82
1/8 ET 6.9 / 7.29
1/8 MPH 99.25 / 103
1000ft 9.41/
1/4 ET 11.25 / 11.14
1/4 MPH 125.4 / 132.2
You wait until you are on a 'proper' track, those times will tumble! You are looking at tens as easy as matey!

Are you going to do some more RWYB before the Fast Show I would like to see you run.

Jeff.

419 Posts
Classes

GETRAG / STOCK BOX

60ft 1.81 / 1.73
330ft 4.86 / 4.82
1/8 ET 6.9 / 7.29
1/8 MPH 99.25 / 103
1000ft 9.41/
1/4 ET 11.25 / 11.14
1/4 MPH 125.4 / 132.2
Is there a "TARTS" class for you to compete in James.................:chuckle::chuckle:

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Hahaha at Tony. If there was mate i would be in it to win it. :chuckle: I LOVE TARTS

Jeff i plan to get out in Feb for some runs but that all depends on track condtions as not much point if they where the same as last Sunday. More stress on the car for nothing.

Just want to get a good clean 1.6 60ft and keep it straight. See what happens. Car is still FULL weight so there is more to come if i strip it. All my runs are done with a 3/4 tank too :) Might chuck on some different wheels and tires on the back too ;)

Looking at my run i was 4/10ths quicker to 1/2 track so that in theory should off been an 10.7? Plus if i knock off the 2/10ths 60ft you never know what might happen

Got to get a 10 this year :)

·
Premium Member
3,992 Posts
Hahaha at Tony. If there was mate i would be in it to win it. :chuckle: I LOVE TARTS

Jeff i plan to get out in Feb for some runs but that all depends on track condtions as not much point if they where the same as last Sunday. More stress on the car for nothing.

Just want to get a good clean 1.6 60ft and keep it straight. See what happens. Car is still FULL weight so there is more to come if i strip it. All my runs are done with a 3/4 tank too :) Might chuck on some different wheels and tires on the back too ;)

Looking at my run i was 4/10ths quicker to 1/2 track so that in theory should off been an 10.7? Plus if i knock off the 2/10ths 60ft you never know what might happen

Got to get a 10 this year :)
I would like to come along and help you achieve that with a few good tips on the day. I can do Feb 28 or 7 , 13 March. Let me know if I can help.

Jeff

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok mate we will set a date for destruction :) Got to fix a few things first this week and then we will go for it :)

I will post on here when i am ready mate.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts