GTR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I've got a new HKS EVC and I can't get it to actually control boost for the life of me.

It tells me to tap the hose going from the intake plenum and the copper piping that runs around the rear of the head to the turbo actuators.

I've fitted T517z's and the copper pipe to the actuators have been removed so what I have done is connect the plenum hose to the I port (blocked the copper port), and T'd the hose off the rear (by wiring loom, opposite port of fuel reg) of the head going to the black box on the firewall and connected that to B and then lastly the O port T'd to both actuators.

Does this sound like the correct way to do this?

I am getting good vacuum and boost readings on the display of the controller but it just keeps boosting and doesn't hold. Am I just forgetting something here?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are pics of the connections.

T'd going to port b

Straight from plenum going to I

Port O t'd to actuators

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Just check that the offset function of the controller (explained in the manual) is set to deafult.

It maybe that you are asking the boost to come in too early and hence its trying its best to control it.

The way i installed mine, and lots of other is, you remove the pipe of the plenum (right at the back), and put a connector piece in there and run a small length to one of the ports on the solenoid.

And then run a new length and connect to the union at the plenum, where you took the other pipe off.

And then just tapped the other line from the map sensor by the bulkhead on the drivers side.

Works fine for me, and controls it perfect.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I have exactly the same issue with my EVC IV, I have to leave it off and run standard pressure at the moment, but even then it's hitting over 1bar some days.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just check that the offset function of the controller (explained in the manual) is set to deafult.

The way i installed mine, and lots of other is, you remove the pipe of the plenum (right at the back), and put a connector piece in there and run a small length to one of the ports on the solenoid.

QUOTE]

Right, so the one you remove would in turn end up going to the actuators through the copper tube right? My pipe has been removed wich is why it is coming directly off the O port to the actuators. Everything else seems to be the same so at least it seems to be correct.

So maybe I'm just not setting it correctly then. I've been through the manual a few times and am still confused on where you actually set the max boost you want it to hold.

It tells you to push the A knob and turn to set a "value" (this displays 1-100) which I'm assuming is not actual kPa. I've tried all the way to 0, to 5, to 10...nothing seems to want to hold the boost at all.:confused:

Here is the manual I am using:
http://www.xspeed.com.au/manuals/HKS EVC KpA Set up Instructions.pdf

The switch is in the SW position as well.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After some more looking it seems that I still need to be using the stock pressure control valve. This was disconnected during the turbo kit install. I'll give it a shot and report back.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
As far as I remember, the EVC uses a percentage value of increasing the boost.

For example if your baseline boost is (controller switched off) 0.60kpa, then turning the gain to 50 would give you around 0.90kpa. At least thats how mine is setup and works as it should.

I disconnected my stock solenoid, and blocked the pipes just FYI.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you know what the baseline should be for the Trust T517z actuators? If I run them straight off manifold pressure they are still hitting one bar +, Maybe my actuators are FUBAR'd???

1 - 10 of 10 Posts